Sedins sign 4-year extensions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Sedins sign 4-year extensions

Post by Cornuck »

The_Pauser wrote:Daniel Sedin with his 0.64PPG production since signing his long-term extension. But hey, we're screwed without these 50 point producers right?

4 more years!
You're a very boring one-note wonder. I strongly suggest you find something new to talk about. We all know the Sedins are slumping this year - repeating it in every thread (even a relevant one) is not welcome.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

The_Pauser wrote:Daniel Sedin with his 0.64PPG production since signing his long-term extension. But hey, we're screwed without these 50 point producers right?

4 more years!
And the guy you want Gillis to go after (Ryan Callahan) has had a career high .8 PPG in 2010/11 and been on the decline ever since even though he's suppose to be in his prime years.

Maybe Gillis should go after an injury prone forward making close to $5 mil per and scoring at a .054 PPG this year while playing the crappy Eastern Conference.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

vic wrote:

4 more years!
And the guy you want Gillis to go after (Ryan Callahan) has had a career high .8 PPG in 2010/11 and been on the decline ever since even though he's suppose to be in his prime years.

Maybe Gillis should go after an injury prone forward making close to $5 mil per and scoring at a .054 PPG this year while playing the crappy Eastern Conference.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

When Gillis initially signed the Sedins for 4 years at 7 per, most on here and elsewhere didn't take exception to it. NOW, it looks like a terrible blunder. Imagine, 4 months or so after the signing, your first line (18 million a year) and their production drops off a cliff, the team falls out of playoff contention. Who knew!? I made an assertion that they should have been traded last year and before even (they peaked and are past due and they were at max trade value , but that's moot now). The comments/sentiments on here are unbelievable sometimes - loyalty beyond reason.

Anyways, I kinda feel for Gillis... and Torts. I mean what the hell can ya do? It's almost unbelievable how frickin shitty they're playing - no one could have for-seen this. BUT, ole Gillis got to revel in the Sedin induced glory in the 2011, and now he may have to undertake a Sedin-induced burial (so-to-speak) (the glory and the misery of it all).

This scenario right now reminds me of '95, on paper we had a frikin awesome team with Bure, Linden, Gelinas, Mogilny, etc, but inexplicably they dropped of a cliff too and Pat Quinn was axed because of it.

I think it's becoming painfully apparent, even to the die hard loyalist, sentimentality only gets you so far (maybe the approval of others on a hockey board who cling to yesterday?).

The piece I really don't get though, is as we move fwd in this transition time (and it's one that really needs to be navigated in an intelligent fashion), WHY does the mindset prevail that the Sedin's are untouchables? Like WTF? They look anemic, and their brand of leadership is bound to be TOXIC to up an comers (maybe toxic is over-stating it, but they can't frikin lead by example) (oh here is how you hang onto a puck on a powerplay as you skate through the slot and DON'T shoot for gawd sakes cause... there's bound to be pass available to my brother somewhere instead) OK- i digress, but jeese.

Probably saying the obvious, but the fact that the Sedins have the rich contract that they do, means we'll never be able to unload them - too heavy. Now Gillis is probably going to drown cause of that weight. Perhaps the most exciting form of entertainment as a Nuck fan this year, will be watching the drama that unfolds in the front office and observe the endless speculation about who we get for what...if ever.
cc oldtimer
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Good post nuckster. Not much to argue with.

I wonder how long it will be before people start admitting that Daniel's 20 game goalless drought is more than just a slump.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Although I am one of the biggest fans to say trade anyone who makes the team better, you do reward loyalty when needed. When they won trophies and presidents cups they were drastically underpaid in the league. Now at $7M they are getting a rate they should of had in their last contract.

With the cap going up their % of the cap hit goes down.

They are also too good to be this bad for so long, right now all the pressure is on them to score because they have no one else doing it.

Would I like to see them shot more, hell yes but I am a little faithful that it will come with the right mix of new players and prospects making the team.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Reefer2 wrote:Although I am one of the biggest fans to say trade anyone who makes the team better, you do reward loyalty when needed. When they won trophies and presidents cups they were drastically underpaid in the league. Now at $7M they are getting a rate they should of had in their last contract.

They are also too good to be this bad for so long, right now all the pressure is on them to score because they have no one else doing it.

Would I like to see them shot more, hell yes but I am a little faithful that it will come with the right mix of new players and prospects making the team.
Worst argument ever.

Kesler has 21 goals.

Higgins has 16 goals.

Daniel has 13 goals.

Kassian, Hansen, and Santorelli have 10 goals each.

They are counted on to score and the pressure is on them because nobody else is doing it????

What the fuck is in your pipe Reef? Daniel hasn't scored a goal in 21+ games and is completely pointless in 11 games. Henrik hasn't scored a goal in 20+ games. If nobody else is scoring why haven't we been getting totally shutout over the last couple of months? The only reason we are tanking is because all we are winning on is secondary scorers.....our top scorers are doing fuck all.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

nuckster wrote:When Gillis initially signed the Sedins for 4 years at 7 per, most on here and elsewhere didn't take exception to it. NOW, it looks like a terrible blunder. Imagine, 4 months or so after the signing, your first line (18 million a year) and their production drops off a cliff, the team falls out of playoff contention. Who knew!? I made an assertion that they should have been traded last year and before even (they peaked and are past due and they were at max trade value , but that's moot now). The comments/sentiments on here are unbelievable sometimes - loyalty beyond reason.

Anyways, I kinda feel for Gillis... and Torts. I mean what the hell can ya do? It's almost unbelievable how frickin shitty they're playing - no one could have for-seen this. BUT, ole Gillis got to revel in the Sedin induced glory in the 2011, and now he may have to undertake a Sedin-induced burial (so-to-speak) (the glory and the misery of it all).

This scenario right now reminds me of '95, on paper we had a frikin awesome team with Bure, Linden, Gelinas, Mogilny, etc, but inexplicably they dropped of a cliff too and Pat Quinn was axed because of it.

I think it's becoming painfully apparent, even to the die hard loyalist, sentimentality only gets you so far (maybe the approval of others on a hockey board who cling to yesterday?).

The piece I really don't get though, is as we move fwd in this transition time (and it's one that really needs to be navigated in an intelligent fashion), WHY does the mindset prevail that the Sedin's are untouchables? Like WTF? They look anemic, and their brand of leadership is bound to be TOXIC to up an comers (maybe toxic is over-stating it, but they can't frikin lead by example) (oh here is how you hang onto a puck on a powerplay as you skate through the slot and DON'T shoot for gawd sakes cause... there's bound to be pass available to my brother somewhere instead) OK- i digress, but jeese.

Probably saying the obvious, but the fact that the Sedins have the rich contract that they do, means we'll never be able to unload them - too heavy. Now Gillis is probably going to drown cause of that weight. Perhaps the most exciting form of entertainment as a Nuck fan this year, will be watching the drama that unfolds in the front office and observe the endless speculation about who we get for what...if ever.
Can I get some credit for calling it a terrible blunder since Day 1?

And absolutely agree, they should not be untouchables. Nobody should be untouchable unless they're top young prospects (ie. Horvat/Shinkaruk).
Last edited by The_Pauser on Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

^^^

Now where is the fun in that...Sheesh
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

When healthy the Sedins are awesome, Hank was the ironman before Torts got here, maybe all those extra minutes were a bit detrimental not to mention making them block shots etc.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

rats19 wrote:^^^

Some nights I stay up cashing in my bad luck, some nights I call it a draw....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

The_Pauser wrote:
rats19 wrote:^^^

Some nights I stay up cashing in my bad luck, some nights I call it a draw....
Play the cards you're dealt
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The_Pauser wrote: Can I get some credit for calling it a terrible blunder since Day 1?
No because you have been slagging them for 13 years.

They have continually proven you wrong and no doubt will again.

They were on a 70-point pace up until 2 months ago (first half of the season = 41 games).

At lot of Canuck fans have been worried sick about them for 2 months.

YOU have been worried sick about them since 2001.

NO CREDIT FOR YOU!!

NEXT!!!
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Mëds wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Although I am one of the biggest fans to say trade anyone who makes the team better, you do reward loyalty when needed. When they won trophies and presidents cups they were drastically underpaid in the league. Now at $7M they are getting a rate they should of had in their last contract.

Worst argument ever.

Kesler has 21 goals.

Higgins has 16 goals.

Daniel has 13 goals.

Kassian, Hansen, and Santorelli have 10 goals each.

They are counted on to score and the pressure is on them because nobody else is doing it????

What the fuck is in your pipe Reef? Daniel hasn't scored a goal in 21+ games and is completely pointless in 11 games. Henrik hasn't scored a goal in 20+ games. If nobody else is scoring why haven't we been getting totally shutout over the last couple of months? The only reason we are tanking is because all we are winning on is secondary scorers.....our top scorers are doing fuck all.
Yawn - TOTALLY WORSE argument ever.

Well since I don't smoke anything I will ask you the same question. (oh and those comments are so 90's)

What I was saying is that for the past couple of years the Sedin's have been counted on to score and score big, anytime there is a losing streak fans point to them they are not tough enough, they are Swedish yada yada yada. This year with exception of a couple players there is even more pressure on them to score in every game because if they don't then they wont win.

They are playing like shit, no one can deny that but they are not as bad as people make them out to be.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Strangelove wrote:
The_Pauser wrote: Can I get some credit for calling it a terrible blunder since Day 1?
No because you have been slagging them for 13 years.

They have continually proven you wrong and no doubt will again.

They were on a 70-point pace up until 2 months ago (first half of the season = 41 games).

At lot of Canuck fans have been worried sick about them for 2 months.

YOU have been worried sick about them since 2001.

NO CREDIT FOR YOU!!

NEXT!!!
Two years ago Ryan getzlaf had 57 points in 82 games. This year he has 67 in 57.

Two years ago Corey Perry had 60 points in 80 games. This year he has 60 in 61.

People have off years. I know we've been spoiled by the twins for 8 seasons of a point a game, but it doesn't happen very often. They were great for the first 20 games before a big drop off, Hank is injured and Daniel has had treatment almost every game for some mystery injury. They will come back stronger next year.