Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Vader »

dbr wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I remember him saying the deciding factor was playing with his brother. BB allegedly knew this when he signed Rob two years, or whatever it was, earlier. BB was touted as a genius for signing Rob with the master plan to lure Scott when he became UFA. Have no idea if it's true but it helps make a legend.
One hell of a legend, Burkie was running the Canucks when the Ducks signed the lesser Niedermayer.
Anaheim traded for Rob when Burke was the GM here.

Burke overpaid Rob ($2M per x 4 years in$40M cap world) as an RFA when he was nothing more than a grinder at that stage of his career.

That signing seemed crazy at the time and there probably was a method to the madness

*Edit* Rob Neidermayer type draft picks are exactly why you don't "tank" to rebuild. Had a solid pro career but certainly should not be a top 5 pick
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

dbr wrote:
Whose biggest acquisitions came from assets Mike Keenan had acquired, who was just building with the blocks Pat Quinn had brought in. All hail Jack Gordon!
Burke, the same guy who went into Anaheim, signed Selanne, traded for Pronger, Niedermeyer, Beauchemin etc, and then wins the Stanley Cup. [/quote]

Let me see if I've got this right.

Burke signed Selanne, to a hometown discount, what credit does he get for that? Selanne would have signed anyways.
Chris Pronger's wife wanted out of Edmonton so Burke brought them to Anaheim, good trade but he's lucky it fell in his lap and that he had assets (like Lupul) that the Oilers wanted.
Scott Niedermayer, everyone knew where he was going to sign. Burke is supposed to get credit for getting hired by a franchise that already had been playing Rob Niedermayer for two seasons?
He brought in Beauchemin, big deal, I should hope you'd be able to get a player that good in return for a marquee forward like Sergei Fedorov.

Nevermind all the guys he inherited like Getzlaf, Perry, Pahlsson, Giguere, Bryzgalov, et al.

Big deal.[/quote]

Where to begin on this:

There was no "Hometown Discount" for Selanne. You seem to forget, Selanne looked done when Burke signed him. There was very little interest in him. Only after his signing did he start playing his best hockey in year. Selanne was such a bust in Colorado teams thought he was done.

In what world was Fedorov "Marquee"? He had a horrible contract and was already past-his-prime. Burke was desperate to rid himself of that deal. To save 6 million on a 39 million cap was an incredible deal. AND get Beauchemin? One of the best cap saving deals ever. There's no cup alone without it.

Just because Pronger wanted out, does not mean it was so easy to get him. He somehow convinced Lowe to take Lupul instead of Perry. He had to give Lowe the best deal.

He used Rob to help him get Scott. He still got Scott signed for less than other teams offered.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

dbr wrote:By all accounts? I certainly remember a lot of comments like that but I don't recall anything credible.. maybe I'm just forgetting, that's a long time ago now.
How about straight from his agent?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Vader wrote:
dbr wrote:One hell of a legend, Burkie was running the Canucks when the Ducks signed the lesser Niedermayer.

Burke overpaid Rob ($2M per x 4 years in$40M cap world) as an RFA when he was nothing more than a grinder at that stage of his career.
What?

2003/03/11 Calgary Flames traded Rob Niedermayer to the Anaheim Mighty Ducks for Jean-Francois Damphousse and Mike Commodore.

You're normally so credible, one of us is definitely missing something though. I'm not totally convinced it isn't me but Rob played for Anaheim during Burke's second-last season here..
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ClamRussel wrote:
dbr wrote:By all accounts? I certainly remember a lot of comments like that but I don't recall anything credible.. maybe I'm just forgetting, that's a long time ago now.
How about straight from his agent?
Well if he ever said that it doesn't appear to have found it's way onto the internet. Don't recall hearing it but I'll have to take your word for it.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

BigTuna wrote: Where to begin on this:
How about you begin and end with "I can't tell when someone is being sarcastic" and then scuttle off to whatever leaves board you inhabit the rest of the season.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

dbr wrote:
How about you begin and end with "I can't tell when someone is being sarcastic" and then scuttle off to whatever leaves board you inhabit the rest of the season.
dbr at his best, where have you been for the past few months?
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Is quoting really that hard? Oh wait, I just made a quote. No, it isn't.
dbr wrote:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The best prospect/ player in the world not playing in the NHL - Evgeny Kuznetsov is on his way to the Capitals

Lets rewind to Kuznetsovs draft year - 2010. When it came time for the Canucks to draft - 25th overallI, Gillis and his goofs didn't like what was available so they sent that pick, Bernier and Grabner to Florida for the great Keith Ballard. These are 4 of the 6 players who went from 25th pick to 30th:

- Kuznetsov
- Charlie Coyle
- Emerson Etem
- Brock Nelson
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

dbr wrote:
There was no sarcasm in that post.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If Gillis drafted Karlsson instead of Hodgson

Drafted Kuznetsov instead of trading pick to Florida

How does our future look now?

You are only as good as your drafting
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:If Gillis drafted Karlsson instead of Hodgson

Tool!, we are on a winning streak and back in the playoffs!

Sod off!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

dbr wrote:
Vader wrote:
dbr wrote:One hell of a legend, Burkie was running the Canucks when the Ducks signed the lesser Niedermayer.

What?

2003/03/11 Calgary Flames traded Rob Niedermayer to the Anaheim Mighty Ducks for Jean-Francois Damphousse and Mike Commodore.

You're normally so credible, one of us is definitely missing something though. I'm not totally convinced it isn't me but Rob played for Anaheim during Burke's second-last season here..
Yes - look what I posted again. Rob was with Anaheim when Burke was here i.e. in Vancouver., When Rob became RFA, Burke as Anaheim GM, threw a large contract (at the time) at a guy who'd be lucky to crack 20 points.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

RoyalDude wrote:If Gillis drafted Karlsson instead of Hodgson

If your dad had shot you into a kleenex instead of your mom's gash, this board would be a much quieter place.

Am I doing it right?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Vader wrote:Yes - look what I posted again. Rob was with Anaheim when Burke was here i.e. in Vancouver., When Rob became RFA, Burke as Anaheim GM, threw a large contract (at the time) at a guy who'd be lucky to crack 20 points.
Yeah, I see that now.. not too many guys like that were earning $2m per right after the lockout. Smooth move, Burkie..