What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck team?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What is happening to the team right now?

Slump.
34%
Downward slope.
25%
Flu.
2%
Injuries.
13%
Fatigue.
11%
Other.
5%
Nothing fool! Now shut your yap.
11%

Total votes: 64

Topper
CC Legend

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Post by Topper »

mathonwy wrote:
Strangelove wrote:You guys are becoming more and more incoherent all the time, must be "urine on the brain".

There is no excuse for wanting your team to miss the playoffs.
Strange, I think I'm gay for you.

:lol:
Sam you am.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Topper wrote:
mathonwy wrote:
Strangelove wrote:You guys are becoming more and more incoherent all the time, must be "urine on the brain".

There is no excuse for wanting your team to miss the playoffs.
Strange, I think I'm gay for you.

:lol:
Sam you am.
Baiting you is so easy.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

herb wrote:Does anybody get out and support amateur athletics? Go to a major Canadian university hockey, soccer, football or basketball game and attendance can be measured in the hundreds.
Thousands in the games I've attended.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

herb wrote:Nothing I have seen compares to athletics in the US. Take a school like Louisiana State University, which is about half the size of UBC, and situated in a city much smaller than Vancouver. LSU routinely fill a 90,000+ seat football stadium and a 10,000+ seat basketball stadium.

It's called being pacified & distracted. As a nation they are nuts for TV, beer & sports while going through life asleep. We're not much better but we focus on hockey & beer. Van may not be a sports town but it's a hockey town. The issue w/ the current state is the die hard blue collar fan base has been largely priced out of the market. Today the rink has been taken over by corporate schmucks & empty seats.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Hockey Widow wrote:
My point is this. We need a front office that is capable and willing to give a fair assessment of the problems on this team. My fear is this. If we make the playoffs we get to breath easier and use the injury excuse.....

Now if we make the playoffs, no matter how we do in them, if we get that fair assessment OK.

I'll be cheering for the Canucks every game, always do. I ain't hoping for a slide to the bottom just for a chance to get a higher draft pick either.
I see what you are saying. I couldn't agree with you more. To be clear I wasn't aiming the tanking comment at you directly, just the board in general. There has just been a lot of mentions about tanking it for lower draft picks, trading away some of the core, etc., etc.

I agree with your thoughts on playoffs. The last thing we need to see is management making up excuses for another early first round exit.

I believe major changes are needed. I personally don't think being a non-competitive team to obtain a lower pick is not one of them. I still believe that one or two pieces can put this team back into contender status. We still have elite goaltending and a great defence core.

Getting the Sedins going should be priority #1. I think other things will fall in place after that.

In regards to major changes: Don't think for a minute that GMMG isn't trying. It is his job. The problem is that there are 29 other GM's trying to make their team better too.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

ClamRussel wrote:Thousands in the games I've attended.
Where?
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

ClamRussel wrote:We're not much better but we focus on hockey & beer. Van may not be a sports town but it's a hockey town.
So much so that the Heat are hemorrhaging money, the Bruins had to move to Victoria, UBC's hockey program is in jeopardy...
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Canadians simply do not live and die for sports. Even hockey. You have your passionate core, like those on this website, but when it comes down to it, we are much too practical a people to overvalue a sporting event. The Olympics are a bit different, as it's the whole country across a range of sports and we only have to be passionate for two weeks. Day to day, there are not that many people dissecting the successes and failures of their sports teams.

In the US, high school football is discussed on talk radio. Being the captain of the team will get you a job. How many employers in Canada would care that you captained a sports team in high school? It's night and day compared to here.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

herb wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:We're not much better but we focus on hockey & beer. Van may not be a sports town but it's a hockey town.
So much so that the Heat are hemorrhaging money, the Bruins had to move to Victoria, UBC's hockey program is in jeopardy...
The Bruins were doing very well attendance-wise considering the fact they were located in Chilliwack.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/ ... p?tmi=5244

I've had plans to go to a Bruins game cancelled due to snow storms (Sumas Prairie is a bitch).

When the Heat came to Abby it predictably hurt their attendance.

The Heat are not doing well due to the fact most folks in the area are not interested in Flames prospects

(when the Canucks farm team comes to town, look out baby!).

The Abby Pilots have always done well in attendance.

As for the T-Birds, again: location, location, location.

And to a lesser extent: the growing percentage of international students.

Not that I disagree with your overall point.

Langley Hornets springs to mind, could only draw 600-700 per game a few years back = GONE
____
Try to focus on someday.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Strangelove wrote:The Bruins were doing very well attendance-wise considering the fact they were located in Chilliwack.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/ ... p?tmi=5244

I've had plans to go to a Bruins game cancelled due to snow storms (Sumas Prairie is a bitch).

When the Heat came to Abby it predictably hurt their attendance.

The Heat are not doing well due to the fact most folks in the area are not interested in Flames prospects

(when the Canucks farm team comes to town, look out baby!).

The Abby Pilots have always done well in attendance.

As for the T-Birds, again: location, location, location.

And to a lesser extent: the growing percentage of international students.

Not that I disagree with your overall point.

Langley Hornets springs to mind, could only draw 600-700 per game a few years back = GONE
I don't agree that 3 or 4 thousand at a WHL hockey game in Chilliwack should be considered doing very well. Places like Brandon MB, Moose Jaw, Medicine Hat and Lethbridge do better than that.

Agreed on the Heat. Incredibly stupid to put an Alberta farm team in the Fraser Valley. Even then, attendance numbers of 2 or 3 thousand spectators is absolutely abysmal. http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=attendance

Regarding T-Birds hockey, CIS hockey is an afterthought. Still, the thought of a major Canadian university losing its men's hockey team just seems sacrilege.

Anyway, I stand by my assertion that Vancouver ain't a sports town.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

herb wrote: I don't agree that 3 or 4 thousand at a WHL hockey game in Chilliwack should be considered doing very well. Places like Brandon MB, Moose Jaw, Medicine Hat and Lethbridge do better than that.
For the first 2 years attendance in Chilliwack averaged 90% capacity (4500 per game).

The Bruins were pleasantly surprised, considering the fact they were IN CHILLIWACK.

As I said, the Heat coming to Abby hurt the Bruins at the gate.
herb wrote: Anyway, I stand by my assertion that Vancouver ain't a sports town.
Agreed, but for whatever reason, Abby pretty much is.

Hatred for all things Flame notwithstanding.
____
Try to focus on someday.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Strangelove wrote: Hatred for all things Flame notwithstanding.
Went to a Comets game last month. Everytime I saw a Heat jersey I felt an irrational wave of anger and need to do violent things.

Is that wrong?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

mathonwy wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Hatred for all things Flame notwithstanding.
Went to a Comets game last month. Everytime I saw a Heat jersey I felt an irrational wave of anger and need to do violent things.

Is that wrong?
That's right.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I was on vacation for 10 days prior to the olympic break so I never saw the epic collapse first hand, but looking ahead at the schedule I see a lot of very winnable games left on the remaining list. A big win tonight would start things off just right.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

herb wrote:
...put the Comets there & then they'd see a profit. Seriously, the farm team for the Flames?!? Who thought that was a good idea. There's more Canuck fans in the Valley than in Vancouver proper.