What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck team?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What is happening to the team right now?

Slump.
34%
Downward slope.
25%
Flu.
2%
Injuries.
13%
Fatigue.
11%
Other.
5%
Nothing fool! Now shut your yap.
11%

Total votes: 64

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Post by ClamRussel »

Strangelove wrote: I just don't see point in being a fan if one does not BELIEVE.

I don't see the point in a fan fearing the playoffs.

And make no mistake, pissing the bed = FEAR.

So what if your heart was broken 3 times in 3 years?

Suck it up and get back on that horse princess!!

Hey, when we win the Cup, you are not going to enjoy it as much if you did not BELIEVE.

All this "I want my Canucks to miss the playoffs cuz Gillis needs to wake up" talk is a lame attempt to hide FEAR.

Make the playoffs and GO FOR THE CUP.

Anything else in unmanly....
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Some things never change eh Clambo? :D

G'night fellers...
____
Try to focus on someday.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Sorry Dude... been a fan from day one and i will always believe... the Stanley Cup is still in our grasp.. all we need is to get healthy
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Sometimes you have to take a different route and...

... blah blah blah

... boo hoo hoo

... glub glub glub.
Why don't you grow a pair and address why I called you "delusional"?

Do you really believe you know more about this team than Mike Gillis?

WAKE UP.
Yes I do.

I see a team that needs a shake up, he sees a team that healthy is a contender.

Grow a pair, well actually I already have a good pair, been with me for many years and we have been through many things together. Just the other day we were have a good ole time just sitting back and enjoying some good whiskey and I said Ball 1 - what do you think of what MG is doing, well let me tell you the words that was coming out of that mouth. I would print it hear but I don't want to get banned. Now I always thought Ball 2 was the smart one, he always hung back a little and just when I needed him most he would come through for me. Now he said and I quote "it is time for a change". How could I disagree with that?

See I have a pair and they are quite smart as far as I can tell, now mind you I have only spent time with my own so not really sure how smart others are out there but I am sure you are going to tell me.

By the way Hibiki 17 Year old whiskey from Japan, the stuff is so smooth, best whiskey I have ever had. Cant buy it in Canada yet.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

The thing is, although Kesler is perhaps our most marketable commodity, if you trade home you might as well blow up the team. He's the type of player you go to war with. Remember how long it took for him to come into his own. When San Jose did their reset they had blue hip prospects ready to step up & they got rid of high priced (but still semi-desireable) dead weight like Heatley (trading McGinn was stupid). Our dead weight isn't remotely desiresble (Booth) and our prospects are not ready at all. The team is still better than they've shown so a Gillis should either stay the course or go to town & trade everyone possible that is not in or heading towards their prime (who could fetch a decent return). I don't see a half way here & partly because of all the NTCs. If he did blow the team up we'd have one helluva stocked cupboard but that's highly unlikely.

My guess is some minor trades happen this year, Booth gets bought out, the cap goes up & he adds a couple decent UFAs that rejuvenate the team along w/ bringing along a couple kids next year (Horvat & Jensen). Gaunce, Fox & Shinkaruk will need time in the minors (esp after his injury).
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

ClamRussel wrote:My guess is some minor trades happen this year, Booth gets bought out, the cap goes up & he adds a couple decent UFAs that rejuvenate the team along w/ bringing along a couple kids next year (Horvat & Jensen). Gaunce, Fox & Shinkaruk will need time in the minors (esp after his injury).
Sooooo..... more of the same next year as this year? :eh:

Even with the cap going up and Booth getting bought out, it's not like Gillis is going to be in the position to overpay for the likes of Vanek, Moulson, Cammalleri, Callahan or Gaborik for that matter - assuming they make it to market. Otherwise the field doesn't look impressive, and even the guys I just mentioned would be a dubious improvement given their age, recent performance and injury history.

It would be unfair and unwise to expect anything mroe than nominal production from the likes of Horvat and Jensen given that they would be rookies and not exactly ripping up their leagues in scoring. Not knocking either prospect, but let's be real in what we could expect out of them next year.

Swap out bit parts for bit parts on the fringes of the roster (ie-minor trades), when that is pretty much what Gillis did last summer.

...and that's it for changes, huh? You have heard the one about Einstein's definition of insanity, right?

Meanwhile, the core gets older, more miles get logged on bodies that have already been pulverized this season, and both their production and trade value diminishes.

You have seen what's been going on in Calgary, right?

Gillis doesn't have to blow up the team like you suggest, but he can and should look at what core should stay and what core should go to create a team that can contend for the middle to long term. IMO, it's as much about who leaves as who comes back in terms of trades.

Remember that in '94 Jeff Brown, Bret Hedican and Nathan Lafayette played key roles in that Cup run, who were all added in a trade that season as a result of the Blues signing Nedved. You can make a solid case that without that trade, Vancouver would have been four and out against Calgary in the 1st round.

You can still cheer for this team while arguing that the roster needs a make-over without being a bed-wetter. ;)
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Lancer wrote: You can still cheer for this team while arguing that the roster needs a make-over without being a bed-wetter. ;)
not on this site you can't. There is a difference between being stupid but it seems you cannot even suggest that changing the core is acceptable as others will call you all sorts of names.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Lancer wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:My guess is some minor trades happen this year, Booth gets bought out, the cap goes up & he adds a couple decent UFAs that rejuvenate the team along w/ bringing along a couple kids next year (Horvat & Jensen). Gaunce, Fox & Shinkaruk will need time in the minors (esp after his injury).
Sooooo..... more of the same next year as this year? :eh:

Even with the cap going up and Booth getting bought out, it's not like Gillis is going to be in the position to overpay for the likes of Vanek, Moulson, Cammalleri, Callahan or Gaborik for that matter - assuming they make it to market. Otherwise the field doesn't look impressive, and even the guys I just mentioned would be a dubious improvement given their age, recent performance and injury history.

It would be unfair and unwise to expect anything mroe than nominal production from the likes of Horvat and Jensen given that they would be rookies and not exactly ripping up their leagues in scoring. Not knocking either prospect, but let's be real in what we could expect out of them next year.

Swap out bit parts for bit parts on the fringes of the roster (ie-minor trades), when that is pretty much what Gillis did last summer.

...and that's it for changes, huh? You have heard the one about Einstein's definition of insanity, right?

Meanwhile, the core gets older, more miles get logged on bodies that have already been pulverized this season, and both their production and trade value diminishes.

You have seen what's been going on in Calgary, right?

Gillis doesn't have to blow up the team like you suggest, but he can and should look at what core should stay and what core should go to create a team that can contend for the middle to long term. IMO, it's as much about who leaves as who comes back in terms of trades.

Remember that in '94 Jeff Brown, Bret Hedican and Nathan Lafayette played key roles in that Cup run, who were all added in a trade that season as a result of the Blues signing Nedved. You can make a solid case that without that trade, Vancouver would have been four and out against Calgary in the 1st round.

You can still cheer for this team while arguing that the roster needs a make-over without being a bed-wetter. ;)
:lol: holy smokes this is a sensitive topic. I didn't say thats what I thought should happen, I said it was my GUESS thats what WILL happen. Big difference. I'm just being realistic...blockbuster deals like we used to see (Gilmour to leaves, Courtnall to Canucks, Lindros etc) are pretty much a thing of the past. They rarely ever happen anymore. Its because of the salary cap. Then I considered a GM who isn't exactly trigger-happy, look at his track record. I also considered almost everyone on this team who it would make sense to trade has a NTC. Make sense?
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

As far as UFAs go, what about Paul Stastny, or Vancouver fan favorite Dave Bolland? Maybe even Grabovski? Just spit ballin'...I know we're a ways away from free agency.

They would be able to help out Kesler and Hank offensively, and if things go well with Horvat you could give BoHo the 3rd line centre position and move Kesler to wing to play with Stastny/Bolland.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I think having a payroll near the cap will be a mistake. Yes it is set to go up next year based upon revues from this season.

Next year is 89 cent dollar revenue (outside of the broadcast deals). We know 64 million is the floor (it will not drop below this years cap) for the cap throughout the CBA, but the lowering Canuck Peso is a big reason why the PA's guaranteed increasing share of revenue was so unpalatable.

How long before Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa and Winnipeg are dipping into revenue sharing?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Aquilini has made a shit ton on the team and his season ticket holders would be pissed if he cheaps out now.

If/when Gillis buys out Booth and/or Burrows, combined with the increasing cap, he will have flexibility in terms of UFAs. Maybe you trade an Edler for futures, and fill in the rest of the roster through free agency. Maybe you're right though and spending to the cap is no longer a given with a <$0.90 CAD.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

We know that deals were offered to season ticket holders for the playoffs last season, the sellouts were manufactured. Corporate sponsors and box holders are scaling back as with decreasing revenues corporate boxes and sponsorships become increasingly hard to justify. to bean counters and shareholders.

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

ClamRussel wrote: :lol: holy smokes this is a sensitive topic. I didn't say thats what I thought should happen, I said it was my GUESS thats what WILL happen. Big difference. I'm just being realistic...blockbuster deals like we used to see (Gilmour to leaves, Courtnall to Canucks, Lindros etc) are pretty much a thing of the past. They rarely ever happen anymore. Its because of the salary cap. Then I considered a GM who isn't exactly trigger-happy, look at his track record. I also considered almost everyone on this team who it would make sense to trade has a NTC. Make sense?
Ah Clam, didn't mean to go off on you particularly. It's really in response to a bunch of posts recently. Yours was just the snowflake that set off the avalanche. :lol:

I think we could very well see something more substantial than what you suggest, if for no other reason than the fact that Gillis must be feeling some heat and knows he's runnig out of rope in Vancouver. Yeah, he likes his core and wants to be loyal to it but Aquaman must be breathing down his neck and no doubt that breath will get fiery if the Canucks don't make it.

Add in a rising cap that may create some wiggle room for a number of teams, and I wouldn't be surprised if we some bigger deals in the summer. As for the NTCs, I would not be surprised if some of them all of a sudden get waived if the team does no better than the past couple of years. I think by that time it will be evident to all that it would be better for things to change - for all concerned.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Topper wrote:We know that deals were offered to season ticket holders for the playoffs last season, the sellouts were manufactured. Corporate sponsors and box holders are scaling back as with decreasing revenues corporate boxes and sponsorships become increasingly hard to justify. to bean counters and shareholders.
The playoff scenario from last year is true, but I have no idea if sponsors and box holders are scaling back. It's also impossible to know if the Aquilini's are hurting or just making a bit less profit than they otherwise could have.

As far as I know, there is still a waiting list for season tickets. I have heard from season ticket holders that the resale market has really slowed down. No longer can you sell tickets for 2 or 3X face value.

At the end of the day, the Canucks are the only show in town, and will likely remain so. IMO a part of the issue with the lack of hype surrounding the team is that the team has become stale and needs a new star.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The team is still supported by fair weather fans. The bandwagon was overloaded with the teams success, but as it falters, so will fan support. No longer will your buddies be watching when you stand and wave from your seat in the corner reds with your cell phone stuck to your ear.