New Seattle NHL team?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: New Seattle NHL team?

Post by 2Fingers »

herb wrote:A team in Seattle would be great. A third pacific north-western team in Portland seems like a pipe-dream, but you never now.

It's been pretty obvious since the division realignment that expansion was inevitable. Seattle is the no-brainer. Portland, Las Vegas and maybe Kansas City are options also.

Regarding the "talent pool", it's never been deeper. Look at the quality of goaltending around the league as an example - it's ridiculous.

The KHL is only a threat for Russian players, which given their recent showings on the world stage shouldn't be a concern. The game is growing at a strong pace in the US, and more American teams will only build on that.
To me the bigegst threat to the game is the current 2/3 point system for each game and the trap and basically moving back toward the dead puck era.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

I"d love to see a team in Seattle, but would it work, financially?
Seattle already has the Seahawks and Mariners, plus college teams to vie for the entertainment dollar. Hard to imagine there would be enough interest in a hockey team to fill the rink for 42 regular season games.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

^I disagree.

Seattle is a wealthy, affluent city. Corporate America is alive and well in Seattle, and some of the guys rumoured to be involved in the ownership group make Aquilini look like a peasant in comparison.

Seattle has a higher GDP than other metropolitan US areas that are home to more major sports teams like Minneapolis, Detroit, Phoenix, Denver and St Louis. Seattle's GDP per capita is fourth in the country. Any way you measure it, Seattle is a wealthy city.

Not only that, Seattle has proven itself to be a great sports city. Once the Seahawks season is over there is nothing going on there in terms of pro sports and the weather is generally God awful. I think Seattle is as much of a no brainer as there is in terms of NHL expansion/relocation.

Forgot to mention that Seattle is a very 'white' city. The NHL's biggest customer by far is the white 25-60 year old man, which is ideal for Seattle.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

butt Vancouver already claimed the 7th man.

Seattle is a sports town with many celebrating the retirement of Stern nearly as much as the Seahawk victory. But are they hockey fans? Could they become hockey fans? Do the T-Birds do well and will that base expand to a pro team?

As Herb said, their is no shortage of $'s in Seattle and a geek tech rivalry with San Jose could be developed.

The idea of transplanted Canuck fans coming out to games in numbers that matter is a fallacy. They need their own fan base.

That said, I am against expansion and actually continue to favour contraction. If the middle ground is relocation, wait two years and see how some Canadian teams are fairing with 75 cent Canuck bucks.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:butt Vancouver already claimed the 7th man.

Seattle is a sports town with many celebrating the retirement of Stern nearly as much as the Seahawk victory. But are they hockey fans? Could they become hockey fans? Do the T-Birds do well and will that base expand to a pro team?

As Herb said, their is no shortage of $'s in Seattle and a geek tech rivalry with San Jose could be developed.

The idea of transplanted Canuck fans coming out to games in numbers that matter is a fallacy. They need their own fan base.

That said, I am against expansion and actually continue to favour contraction. If the middle ground is relocation, wait two years and see how some Canadian teams are fairing with 75 cent Canuck bucks.
I'm not a fan of expansion either, although if it means a team in Seattle I would take it as I think a rivalry between the Canucks and said team would become a good one. If contraction were considered, which we know it won't be, what teams would you drop Tops? Phoenix is a given, but who else?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote: I'm not a fan of expansion either, although if it means a team in Seattle I would take it as I think a rivalry between the Canucks and said team would become a good one. If contraction were considered, which we know it won't be, what teams would you drop Tops? Phoenix is a given, but who else?
Phoenix or Columbus imho.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I’m not a fan of expansion either, but it appears to be an inevitability. A close rival in Seattle has the potential of being awesome. IMO, Phoenix and Florida should be moving north, but that ain’t going to happen.

Seattle is as much if not more of a hockey town than San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Phoenix, Dallas, Raleigh, Nashville, Miami, Columbus and St Petersburg ever were before the NHL. No doubt Seattle would have to develop their own fans.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:
Mëds wrote: I'm not a fan of expansion either, although if it means a team in Seattle I would take it as I think a rivalry between the Canucks and said team would become a good one. If contraction were considered, which we know it won't be, what teams would you drop Tops? Phoenix is a given, but who else?
Columbus definitely has the population base to support a team, 20th largest city by pop. in Canada/USA. Their attendance started off well but has really fallen off and been on a relatively steady decline since it peaked in 2001-02 (their second year). As with most American expansion cities success is critical, and 14 years after their inaugural season the Blue Jackets have only played a total of 4 playoff games.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

SKYO wrote:
Florida is still apparently losing buckets of money.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

black ace wrote:
SKYO wrote:
Mëds wrote:

Florida is still apparently losing buckets of money.
That's why a Luongo to Florida trade makes sense
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

black ace wrote:Florida is still apparently losing buckets of money.
To their parent company.