Team Canada Sochi

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Team Canada Sochi

Post by Topper »

Cookie La Rue wrote:and i fell in love with the 1st Gold medal winner from Czech, Eva Samkova
playfully comfortable
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Per wrote:[
The Swiss beating the Czechs and the Yanks beating Russia are surprises, but not really upsets.
:
I disagree with you in regards to USA/Russia.

Russia doesn't scare me all that much, whereas the US do.

I'm not completely sold on Russia's defense and goaltending. Or even their team confidence for that matter.

Back in 2010, when Canada scored the first goal on Russia in that first period, Russia had the look of a team that had just tasted cock. They looked very fragile and disoriented and Canada completely ate them up. Nabakov looked like he was going to cry.

USA is the team that really worries me.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The Brown Knight wrote:
Per wrote:[
The Swiss beating the Czechs and the Yanks beating Russia are surprises, but not really upsets.
:
I disagree with you in regards to USA/Russia.

Russia doesn't scare me all that much, whereas the US do.

I'm not completely sold on Russia's defense and goaltending. Or even their team confidence for that matter.

Back in 2010, when Canada scored the first goal on Russia in that first period, Russia had the look of a team that had just tasted cock. They looked very fragile and disoriented and Canada completely ate them up. Nabakov looked like he was going to cry.

USA is the team that really worries me.
Having seen Russia's lackluster performance against Slovakia, I will have to agree.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Playoff pairings are set!
The seeding is determined by the overall ranking of all 12 teams according to following criteria: position in the group, higher number of points, better goal difference, higher number of goals scored.

Overall Ranking Preliminary Round:
1. Sweden
2. USA
3. Canada
4. Finland
5. Russia
6. Switzerland
7. Czech Republic
8. Slovenia
9. Austria
10. Slovakia
11. Latvia
12. Norway

While the four overall top-ranked teams – the three group winners and the second-placed team with the best record – earn a bye to the Quarter-Finals, the teams ranked 5th to 12th will determine the additional four quarter-finalists in the Qualification Playoff.

The following games will be played in the Qualification Playoff on 18th February:
Russia vs. Norway
Switzerland vs. Latvia
Czech Republic vs. Slovakia
Slovenia vs. Austria
The times and venues will be announced tomorrow.

The Quarter-Finals will be played one day later on 19th February with the following pairings:
Sweden vs. winner SLO-AUT
USA vs. winner CZE-SVK
Canada vs. winner SUI-LAT
Finland vs. winner RUS-NOR
http://sochi2014.iihf.com/men/news/play ... rings-set/

Now the real show is about to start! 8-)
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Hamhuis played 4 mins against the Fins. Interesting roster usage. It makes sense to get the top pairings comfortable with each other, but it makes you wonder how comfortable Hamhuis is if he's called upon.

I like the look of Canada defensively, but worry about them generating enough quality chances. Next game will look very similar to Finland and we don't want to chance it with OT and/or shootouts.

BTW - the shootout (aka "The Abomination" TM) is bad enough as it is, but I agree with Cookie, allowing one guy to take all the shots makes it even more preposterous. I don't want to see Niederreiter vs. Price for a chance to play in the goal medal game.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hamhuis had a couple of blown coverages against him. Similar to his Canuck mistakes of poor pinches. He was able to use positioning on the big ice to cover and make up....but still they were mistakes.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Gotta agree, that ridiculous shootout with Oshie taking almost all of the shots was a joke. It's bad enough when a team sport turns into a skills competition, but to put it all on one shooter? That was the worst thing since a glowing puck.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hard to believe Kunitz was picked over Giroux.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cornuck wrote:Gotta agree, that ridiculous shootout with Oshie taking almost all of the shots was a joke. It's bad enough when a team sport turns into a skills competition, but to put it all on one shooter? That was the worst thing since a glowing puck.
They need to name three shooters for the first three penalty shots. After that, it's just one shot at a time, and the coach is free to name the same players again if he wants too. A bit extreme though to pick the same guy over and over again. And I agree that it'd be better with unlimited overtime, but I guess they have a schedule to keep.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Per wrote: but I guess they have a schedule to keep.
Before the ice melts.

herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Yeah, it really should be 5 on 5 sudden-death overtime until there's a winner.

I'd hate to see an elimination game decided in a shootout, which I believe is possible under the Olympic rules. I'd hate to see Canada lose to the USA in the semis because of TJ Oshie, for instance.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Yep. While Oshie seems like a genuine, likable kid, it would horribly unpleasant to lose in that scenario.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Topper wrote:Hamhuis had a couple of blown coverages against him. Similar to his Canuck mistakes of poor pinches. He was able to use positioning on the big ice to cover and make up....but still they were mistakes.
Hammer also messed up on a break out pass which resulted in the Fins pressuring us in our zone for a little bit. No different from his play on the Canucks.

After that mess up, I didn't see Hammer for quite awhile.

I think Hammer's covering up an injury that happened in December after Stanton went down.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

herb wrote:Hard to believe Kunitz was picked over Giroux.
I said that the day the roster was announced. Insane! Even hard to believe Eric Staal didn't make the squad but the Giroux thing is bonkers. Kunitz makes no sense whatsoever.

The shootout thing is a farce. They need to fix that rule, but its nothing new. Remember the Toews WJC thing?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

ClamRussel wrote:
herb wrote:Hard to believe Kunitz was picked over Giroux.
I said that the day the roster was announced. Insane! Even hard to believe Eric Staal didn't make the squad but the Giroux thing is bonkers. Kunitz makes no sense whatsoever.
I think the thought was to have a guy who has chemistry and experience playing with Sid the Kid. They had trouble finding the right player(s) to line up with Sid in 2010 as well, so they tried something a lil different and went with kunitz.