Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by The_Pauser »

My guess is they asked Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa and Edler. I also bet you Kesler was the one willing to waive (just a hunch, no inside information from me on this).
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The_Pauser wrote:My guess is they asked Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa and Edler. I also bet you Kesler was the one willing to waive (just a hunch, no inside information from me on this).
I'm skeptical, but regardless we can assume nobody would give a blank cheque to Gillis to send them anywhere. Hopefully he can keep a lid on things until the trade actually happens. Also, hopefully he learned from the Luongo nightmare. Find out where your guy is willing to go, and make the deal.

Simply saying "are you willing to waive?" and getting a "yeah" response looks pretty silly when the GM tells you you're going to Columbus and the player backs away from the trade. Then again, Kesler did go to Ohio State (rumour: STARTED) :drink:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I find it hard to fathom that they would be looking to trade Kesler unless they were doing a re-build and so far we don't have any evidence of that. As long as you have the twins around you want Kesler around too. I could see then trading one on D and Burrows and Luongo but. I could see a team at the trade deadline wanting Burrows and a D man. Luongo I see as a summer move if it happens. Higgins might garner a return at the deadline but he won't bring back anything to build upon, not compared to what he brings to the club.
The only HW the Canucks need
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Hockey Widow wrote:I find it hard to fathom that they would be looking to trade Kesler unless they were doing a re-build and so far we don't have any evidence of that. As long as you have the twins around you want Kesler around too. I could see then trading one on D and Burrows and Luongo but. I could see a team at the trade deadline wanting Burrows and a D man. Luongo I see as a summer move if it happens. Higgins might garner a return at the deadline but he won't bring back anything to build upon, not compared to what he brings to the club.
I agree - it seems hard to imagine trading Kesler without a full on rebuild. If Kes was the one asked to waive and he agreed I would have to think there was a massive overpayment coming back. Kesler is probably the only player on this team that could bring back serious talent, so you never know, MG could be tempted into something.
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

$lacker wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I find it hard to fathom that they would be looking to trade Kesler unless they were doing a re-build and so far we don't have any evidence of that. As long as you have the twins around you want Kesler around too. I could see then trading one on D and Burrows and Luongo but. I could see a team at the trade deadline wanting Burrows and a D man. Luongo I see as a summer move if it happens. Higgins might garner a return at the deadline but he won't bring back anything to build upon, not compared to what he brings to the club.
I agree - it seems hard to imagine trading Kesler without a full on rebuild. If Kes was the one asked to waive and he agreed I would have to think there was a massive overpayment coming back. Kesler is probably the only player on this team that could bring back serious talent, so you never know, MG could be tempted into something.
It all depends on the return, I think. If Tampa put a player like Drouin on the table I could see Kesler leaving. Similarly if Nyquist+Smith+Mantha were on the table for Detroit to pick up Edler you have to consider it. Or other guys like Evander Kane/ROR.

There'd be some struggles, but if you can acquire a young core to build around without going full-Oilers Gillis has to cnsider it ...
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Kesler is the 29 yr old #1 centre on the US Olympic team
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Topper wrote:Kesler is the 29 yr old #1 centre on the US Olympic team
This.

Unless some other GM offers a deal Gillis can't refuse, I can't see him dealing Kesler. You just don't replace a player like him and if put to Torts, he would no doubt want to keep him unless it's a superstar coming back and then you wonder if the playing philosophy isn't going to change as a result. Kesler, alone among the centres on the roster, is type-cast to play Torts' style of play. Trade him and Gillis may as well say, "Yeah, that direction Torts and I wanted to take the team in terms of style of play? Yeah, we're going in a different direction after one year of it."

I would be gob-smacked if such a deal went through...

...and would brace myself for the seasons of rebuilding.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Topper wrote:Kesler is the 29 yr old #1 centre on the US Olympic team
I think I hear what you're saying: this team needs to go all-in and do whatever it takes to acquire Patrick Kane.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Kesler will play in another uniform one day. When this ride is over with this group which will be soon, he will be the first asking for a change of scene. I just don't see this American wanting to hang out in this Canadian city when things get real stale which leads me to this, why wait trading Kesler, his stock is realty high. You could really set the tone of the future without a big step backwards. I see a lot of teams paying big for his services but Gillis better act fast cause he is in the cusp of 30'ville. Trade while he has the 20's still attached to his age, hit a homerun return, why wait? We still have the Sedins to mentor the kids and keep us somewhat respectable setting the off ice work ethic example for the next gen

Out
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:Kesler will play in another uniform one day. When this ride is over with this group which will be soon, he will be the first asking for a change of scene. I just don't see this American wanting to hang out in this Canadian city when things get real stale which leads me to this, why wait trading Kesler, his stock is realty high. You could really set the tone of the future without a big step backwards. I see a lot of teams paying big for his services but Gillis better act fast cause he is in the cusp of 30'ville. Trade while he has the 20's still attached to his age, hit a homerun return, why wait? We still have the Sedins to mentor the kids and keep us somewhat respectable setting the off ice work ethic example for the next gen

Out
I'm of the same mindset - love Kes and everything he brings to the table but he's temporary and I cheer for whoever is on the team. If you can trade him, the twins or anybody else and improve the team long term then you do it. I don't think Kes will be traded but if you are thinking about it this summer is the time to get maximum value for him.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Kesler won't be traded.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

If Gillis can get max value ( ie good young players + prospects) , absolutely Kesler should be dealt. The guys plays 100 miles an hour and he is UFA in two seasons. He has a shitload of hard miles on him.

If the Blues offered Tank and a 1st pick I take it and run. If the Flyers offered Couturier + a 1st I also take it. I could see Anaheim looking hard at Kelser as well if he were available. He will command a 7 million + dollar deal in 2016, which will be his last chance to cash in . Vancouver can not afford 14 million on a 32 year old and a 36 year old as the top two centremen. And something tells me Henry aint goin nowhere.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
givemeda411
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by givemeda411 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:If Gillis can get max value ( ie good young players + prospects) , absolutely Kesler should be dealt. The guys plays 100 miles an hour and he is UFA in two seasons. He has a shitload of hard miles on him.

If the Blues offered Tank and a 1st pick I take it and run. If the Flyers offered Couturier + a 1st I also take it. I could see Anaheim looking hard at Kelser as well if he were available. He will command a 7 million + dollar deal in 2016, which will be his last chance to cash in . Vancouver can not afford 14 million on a 32 year old and a 36 year old as the top two centremen. And something tells me Henry aint goin nowhere.
Not sure where I heard this but the cap is suppose to go as high as $100M over the next 5 years. If this is true then supporting 8 $7M players is doable. Until there are hard facts on this, Gillis should play this year by year. At the moment players like Kesler are hard to find, look....he's centering the American top line. The return should be close to 3 1st Rd picks like the Bobby Ryan trade.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:If Gillis can get max value ( ie good young players + prospects) , absolutely Kesler should be dealt. The guys plays 100 miles an hour and he is UFA in two seasons. He has a shitload of hard miles on him.

Yep, have to get younger somehow and the twins will be here until they retire. Kes won't be a lifelong Canuck, at least I don't think he will. People get way too attached to their players - Linden, Bertuzzi and Naslund were all either traded or allowed to leave and all were better players than Kes.

Just finished watching Horvat play tonight, he's definitely an NHl player. Very smart, knows where to be and doesn't waste energy out there. Has improved his playmaking massively and takes every key faceoff. This guy will replace Kes in a few years.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Who's Tank? Chris Stewart?

You'd give up Kesler for Chris Stewart (who is inconsistent as fuck and defensively retarded) and a first round pick that is likely going to be between picks 25 and picks 30?

I think St. Louis would be the one that would be running after that pile of shit deal.

Couturier is a good young player but Couturier and a first is not enough for Kesler who would give the Flyers some crazy depth down the middle. Would Philly give up any prospects? Not likely as their shitty drafting skills rival that of the Nucks. Maybe Couturier, a first, 2nd and a third?