Anti-Canucks Media

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Anti-Canucks Media

Post by ClamRussel »

BigTuna wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:The Canucks are going through a tough stretch right now...perhaps its the beginning of a transition most teams have to make eventually...or perhaps its just they've got too many injuries to key players and not enough depth to overcome it...nevertheless you can just tell the majority of the media based in the East is just loving this. The Canucks have been by far the most dominant Canadian team for a decade now...and it bugs them. As the Oilers & Flames miss the playoffs year after the year, the Habs are a shell of their former selves and the leaves, well - up until this year have just plain sucked.

From CBC to TSN to Sportsnet (not counting the western based reporters) they just want to see the Canucks flop. Nothing else can explain this. I've seen them railing against Luongo all season. He won gold last time around and lots of these so-called analysts weren't even convinced he'd make the team. Like Roy & Brodeur in year's past you have to think he'll be given the ball to run with. Yes he's lost a handful of games in a row here...but look at the Canucks...they completely suck and are basically icing a minor league team. Yet analysts like Mike Johnson seem to think thats an indication that he's been struggling. Just a few weeks ago Price was laying an egg and totally sucking while Lu was coming off back-to-back injuries and playing very well. These things come in ebbs and flows. Anyone around hockey for any length of time understands that. But not if you have an agenda. The eastern-based media is basically lobbying for Luongo to get benched whereas none of the 3 have been particularly stellar this season in terms of consistency. They've all had their ups & downs. Some media are rallying for Smith to be the starter because he shutout the Hawks. Watch the clips and they would never have this discussion showing that amazing save Lu made where he dove back & batted the puck away...instead its bad goal after bad goal....whereas when they show Price its never letting in a goal, its save after save. Bias revealed.

Guaranteed they would be singing a different tune if the deal for Lu to Toronto had actually happened. Guaranteed.

http://www.tsn.ca/videohub/?collection=72&show=289550

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/shan ... ifference/

Are you trying to say the Toronto media won't criticize a leaves player? LOL. Kessel and Phaneuf have been ripped-apart since day 1 in Toronto.
Nope. I'm saying if that was a Leaf goalie on Team Canada they wouldn't be so biased in their discussions & choice of video promoting a Habs goalie. They're trying to tilt the ice. Fortunately the coaching staff understand things like the Canucks are icing 50% of an AHL team recently.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I like the Fuck You attitude Tortorella has brought to this team, and they need to further embrace that. They don't have the personnel yet, but it's obvious the guy behind the bench doesn't give a fuck about what the media or rest of the league thinks about his team. Players like Burrows can either shut up and play the fucking game, or get off the bus. That's how the entire organization needs to operate. Thick skinned and honest hockey.
Agreed. Hopefully Torts is around long enough to see that transformation through. Look forward to, in 2 or 3 yrs, how players like Kassian, Stanton, Horvat, Gaunce & perhaps Fox fit into that new identity.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

LOL.

I love how certain posters in this thread (Canuck fans) are complaining about how much of an 'embarrassment' the Canucks were a few years ago with their antics.

Funnily enough, I never once heard these complaints during the entire 2010/2011 season......or even the 2012 season for that matter.

Funny how the media seems to have influenced these guys.

Aside from that though - I will concede that this core is finished.........injuries or not. Keep the twins to mentor the new core. Keep Hamhuis and Garrison since they are loyal BC boys. Keep Eddie Lack. Everyone else over 26............MOVE.

We'll have our day in the sun one day. Just not now.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ClamRussel wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:I like the Fuck You attitude Tortorella has brought to this team, and they need to further embrace that. They don't have the personnel yet, but it's obvious the guy behind the bench doesn't give a fuck about what the media or rest of the league thinks about his team. Players like Burrows can either shut up and play the fucking game, or get off the bus. That's how the entire organization needs to operate. Thick skinned and honest hockey.
Agreed. Hopefully Torts is around long enough to see that transformation through. Look forward to, in 2 or 3 yrs, how players like Kassian, Stanton, Horvat, Gaunce & perhaps Fox fit into that new identity.
Yep. And it's unfortunate that things out of the organizations control have occurred (lockout/lowered cap/injuries) that effectively made Luongo un-tradable, Booth forced to stay with the team and Gillis scraping the UFA crop leftovers for a couple seasons. Coupled with obviously decreased play of players like Burrows, Edler, injuries to H.Sedin (and the impact that has had on Daniel), Santorelli, Schroeder etc... it really has been a perfect storm. All that tells me is that we don't have the depth of a team like Pittsburgh or Anaheim (2 of the 4 teams ahead of us in Man-games lost to injury).

While acknowledging the shitty circumstances this team had to endure the past couple years... it still falls on Gillis to put this team in a position to succeed. Since the 2011 cup run, he's decided to go for a Boston Bruins/LA Kings-style lineup. That's fine and dandy, but short of Hodgson for Kassian, he hasn't changed anything about this roster to move us in that direction, except the coach. He hasn't gone out and gotten a Nathan Horton, or a Jeff Carter, to give this team the size or scoring ability to get to the next level.

The guys in the pipe are fine, imo. Guys like Horvat and Gaunce could potentially solidify our 2nd and 3rd C position for a decade. Jensen, while having a ways to go, is a bigger-bodied scorer. Unfortunately, if this team wants to capitalize on the Sedin window, it will have to be done also by trade. Who knows if he can go get an Evander Kane or a Chris Stewart, but if he wants to play a big, strong, physical brand of hockey, then maybe moving guys like Burrows and Edler would serve the dual purpose of shaking up the core and rebranding this team as a less "European" (see: soft but skilled), and more "Canadian" (see: gritty and determined) style of hockey.

If Gillis expects the refs or media to treat us differently because we got an asshole of a coach, and guys like Sestito and Bieksa get the green-light to scrap more, I don't think anyone will notice. Changing the philosophy this much without acquiring the people to play that style, is going to get us nowhere, imo.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

from our 'friends' at Postmedia news (based in Toronto):
...how you should prepare for when Carey Price takes your spot in net..
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

sagebrush wrote:from our 'friends' at Postmedia news (based in Toronto):
...how you should prepare for when Carey Price takes your spot in net..
I'll actually be cheering for the Norwegians and will sacrifice a small animal to have the Norwegians light Price up like a Christmas tree, if only to shut up those smarmy eastern pundits.

It's getting to the point where I'd rather have Team Canada finish out of the medals if Lou doesn't see any meaningful ice time.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Lancer wrote: It's getting to the point where I'd rather have Team Canada finish out of the medals if Lou doesn't see any meaningful ice time.
Oh stop... you sound like Farhan.

There is plenty of precendent for the incumbent goalie to lose his spot. Think Brodeur taking over for Joseph in 2002, and obviously Lou taking it from Brodeur in 2010.

If Price is the better goalie, he should play.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Lancer wrote: It's getting to the point where I'd rather have Team Canada finish out of the medals if Lou doesn't see any meaningful ice time.
Oh stop... you sound like Farhan.

There is plenty of precendent for the incumbent goalie to lose his spot. Think Brodeur taking over for Joseph in 2002, and obviously Lou taking it from Brodeur in 2010.

If Price is the better goalie, he should play.
Absolutely! What bothers me is the lobbying that's going on. The tsn clips are more loaded than Rob Ford at an after-hours Timmy's.

In regards to that "open letter" ...whatever, it's written by a bitter never-was. Very very professional. I'm sure Lu cares what some guy who used to be a junior backup thinks.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Island Nucklehead wrote:There is plenty of precendent for the incumbent goalie to lose his spot. Think Brodeur taking over for Joseph in 2002, and obviously Lou taking it from Brodeur in 2010.
Thing is, you know if Price falters the media will come up with excuses for him and then wail in despair that Team Canada is irreparably fucked with the prospect of Lou is between the pipes and start campaigning for Smith to take over.

I'd just like Canada to win with Lou between the pipes to shove it down the Eastern media's cum-lined gullets.

Hate the League.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

it's true that hockey beat reporters don't seem to be at the top of the food chain but hey given half a chance I'd do it. What a blast that would be. The only problems I've seen is when as shallow as it is, some of them start to drown in their own stupidity. Maclean made a complete ass of himself over the Auger and Burrows incident. It was so bad that the insignificant dinosaur Cherry told him to knock it off. Healy is Healy a washed up mediocre goalie who still wants some swagger and no one really listens. He's so bad he must work really cheap. Roger Millions is another really sad example of the 5th estate, he's just horrible. John Garrett is a great guy but he is one of the leagues biggest homers. Even Jim Hughson has taken on the homer mentality of Toronto. I guess the only ones worth reading or listening to are McKenzie, McGuire, Freidman, Ferraro, LeBrun and as much as you guys seem to dislike him, Tony Gallagher.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Lancer wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:There is plenty of precendent for the incumbent goalie to lose his spot. Think Brodeur taking over for Joseph in 2002, and obviously Lou taking it from Brodeur in 2010.
Thing is, you know if Price falters the media will come up with excuses for him and then wail in despair that Team Canada is irreparably fucked with the prospect of Lou is between the pipes and start campaigning for Smith to take over.

I'd just like Canada to win with Lou between the pipes to shove it down the Eastern media's cum-lined gullets.
It does not matter. Even if Lou backstopping Team Canada to another gold medal, those Eastern media will simply downplay his role and just focus on whoever scores the winning goal, a big hit that changes the momentum or blah blah blah. Don't you remember 2010?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Jovocop wrote: It does not matter. Even if Lou backstopping Team Canada to another gold medal, those Eastern media will simply downplay his role and just focus on whoever scores the winning goal, a big hit that changes the momentum or blah blah blah. Don't you remember 2010?
Pretty much, but I think that will be the case regardless of who's in net for Canada. With all the firepower, and the depth on D, the chances of us relying on our goaltending to win us games is fairly slim. The goalies just have to not be bad... as opposed to the Swiss or even the Americans, where if they win, it's on the backs of their goalies.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

So the feeling is the Toronto media loves Carey Price because he plays for the Habs? Seriously? :shock:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

BigTuna wrote:So the feeling is the Toronto media loves Carey Price because he plays for the Habs? Seriously? :shock:
Eastern media loves Carey Price because he plays in the East. :stupid:

If Luongo had gift-wrapped that goal today they'd be questioning his abilities big-time. Price gives the puck up on a silver platter and it's just a "mistake" with plenty of excuses about "not seeing much action" or "mis-communication with the defence".

I was okay with Price today, but it should've been an easy shutout for him.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
BigTuna wrote:So the feeling is the Toronto media loves Carey Price because he plays for the Habs? Seriously? :shock:
Eastern media loves Carey Price because he plays in the East. :stupid:

If Luongo had gift-wrapped that goal today they'd be questioning his abilities big-time. Price gives the puck up on a silver platter and it's just a "mistake" with plenty of excuses about "not seeing much action" or "mis-communication with the defence".

I was okay with Price today, but it should've been an easy shutout for him.
Yup. 'Pricey' has a gaffe and everyone is falling all over themselves covering up for him. Lou better pitch a shutout or they'll bury him afterwards.

Hate the League.