Team Canada Sochi

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Team Canada Sochi

Post by KeyserSoze »

Tough break for Stamkos. After not cracking the 2010 roster and playing so well ever since, the guy must be just shattered.

Replacement should likely be St Louis or Giroux. Whoever fills in would likely be playing on the wing anyways. Both players seem to be playing well right now, so either way.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I was hoping for the guy. Would love to see him on the big ice with Crosby. I think we should go with Hall. He is a beast in SO and one never knows in the Olympics if the gold medal will come down to that! JK

I'd pick the sentimental favourite St. Louis. If not him then Giroux.
The only HW the Canucks need
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:I was hoping for the guy. Would love to see him on the big ice with Crosby. I think we should go with Hall. He is a beast in SO and one never knows in the Olympics if the gold medal will come down to that! JK

I'd pick the sentimental favourite St. Louis. If not him then Giroux.
Most will be surprised if it's not Marty....will he go or reject the offer? :o

Please, just not James Neal.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Marty St. Louis gets the call. One more reason that I want to see a gold medal for us even more than before.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Mëds wrote:Marty St. Louis gets the call. One more reason that I want to see a gold medal for us even more than before.
I think this is the right call, especially on the big ice.

Good for Marty!

Can't wait until the tourney starts.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

No wonder athletes are coming up lame.....

http://thechive.com/2014/02/06/conditio ... 32-photos/
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Nice to see St. Louis get the nod. It's a bummer to lose a top sniper like Stamkos, but we should have enuff guys who can put the puck into the net. Hopefully St. Louis has a hell of a tournament. :D
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/why-is ... in-hockey/

Finally a Swede who knows what he's talking about. :P
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

The way Canada uses Weber on the PP ...the Canucks should take note & use Garrison in the same manner. He should be the no. 1 option.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Congrats on beating Norway.

No surprises thus far. Except of course Grabner's hat trick against Finland.
But no upsets.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Thnx per.. Norway played tough. We looked jetlaggy but got better as it went on. Price played well.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

rats19 wrote:Thnx per.. Norway played tough. We looked jetlaggy but got better as it went on. Price played well.
Definitely copying the Swiss model of playing the grossest hockey possible. Can't say I blame them, they lack talent. Chalk it up, move along. Hopefully Austria tries to open it up and our counterattack punishes them. Norway was lucky to be in that one. Canada was playing against themselves in the first period.

I thought the Crosby line was our worst. Kunitz didn't add much (except a nice check from behind), and Carter needs to bury some of his chances. Carter should move down the depth chart, and Tavares up. Benn needs to play more, he was making some nice, physical plays and driving towards the goal. I'd be curious about a Benn-Bergeron-Nash line.

The Getzlaf line looks real good. Big, powerful, Marleau adds speed. The "D" looks comfortable moving the puck.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Much better, more dominant game so far from Canada vs. Austria.

Love the choice of jerseys. I wonder if the all-black with red armband vs. Austria was a conscious attempt at trolling? Pretty funny.

Hating the Kunitz pick more and more. He dosn't belong here, and more often than not the play dies when it goes his way. In the east-west game on the international ice, I don't think he has the talent to play at this level. I can't imagine that Claude Giroux would be a worse line-mate for Crosby. Kunitz should be our extra player, imo.

Carter has been much better today. The CBC guys probably had it right that he was putting too much pressure on himself to be the "shooter" playing with Sid. As I type, Carter now has 3 goals.

Luongo looks ready to roll. Making some great saves when called upon.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

Duchane played his way into the line up while everyone who had St Louis and Kunitz not making the team is patting themselves on the back.

After Norway, I thought Keith was the worst of our defenders, until I saw Suban......yikes.

If you want to nit pick goaltending, while Bobby Lou pitched a shutout and got a piece of every puck he had to, rebound control was an issue. Not costly against Austria, but could be an issue against better teams.

How does a goaltender or anyone else for that matter locate a puck against those black uniforms?

Getzlaf-Perry-Duchane looked fantastic, but who were they lined up against?

Hard to imagine way back when in a WJC that Coho was a peer of Tavares. Did someone note the problems Coho would have transitioning to the NHL? Oh yeah, I did.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Carter needs to bury some of his chances.
Seems like he heard you.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.