Luongo vs Price

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Who will end up being Team Canada's starting goaltender?

Roberto Luongo
71%
Carey Price
24%
Mike Smith
6%

Total votes: 17

herb
CC Legend

Luongo vs Price

Post by herb »

Just curious what the sentiment is around here. Luongo isn't getting much love from the pundits (does he ever?). It sounds like Luongo and Price will each get one start each in the first two round robin games, with the coaching staff making the decision on who starts in the third round robin game and presumably the rest of the tournament based upon how each one plays. Predictions?
Topper
CC Legend

Re: Luongo vs Price

Post by Topper »

As with Marty four years ago. Booby Lou's job to loose.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I have a feeling Price will get the nod after Austria, shit all over the crease in the remaining preliminary round games as the eastern media comes up with excuse after excuse for the sot, and hand the net over to Lou over the howls of protest and wails of despair from Button and the TO media gang. Lou will then proceed to hang in there for gold - with the eastern media second-guessing and picking apart everyone of his wins in an effort to get their darling back in net to get the glory.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Yeah, I would love to see Price slip up and Luongo save the day.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

100% Luongo's job to lose.

This is his 3rd Olympics, which go along with a good amount of other International experience. Price on the other hand (while still a very good goalie and only 26 years old) has very little.

My guess is that after Price plays the first game, it's Luongo net the rest of the way.

The leash will be somewhat short (rightfully so in a short tourney like this). If Luongo stumbles like Marty did in 2010, the job will be handed over to Price.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Nice to see Price get the start. I think I'd go with Price, but anything can happen in the next couple days. Hopefully Lou will play it cool and stay ready if he gets the tap on the shoulder.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Hopefully Lou will play it cool and stay ready if he gets the tap on the shoulder.
Why wouldn't he?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

TSN today: last minute changes announced, St. Louis & Hamhuis in - Duchene & Subban out. Apparently Marty & Dan playing today means nothing, it's a pity game from the coaching staff before Matt & P.K. Take over in Austria for the rest of the tourney ...but don't read anything into Price today & Lu in Austria because it *is* Price's tournament to lose. :?

With these tournaments I generally don't cheer for players, it's about the country more than anything...but this media anti-Lu thing has me rooting for him more so. Like Gary Lawless & Steve Simmons aren't annoying enough.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Of the 36 goalies registeredfor the Olympic tournament, only two have ever won the Stanley Cup; Niemi and Quick.

At least Luongo has won one Olympic and two World Championship golds.
What has Price ever achieved?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

The funny thing about the media cheer leading Price and handing him the job is that Price has probably as bad a history of choking, going cold, getting shelled and losing his job to his back-up as Luongo.

Remember 2009 when the Habs were swept by the Bruins and Price let in at least 4 goals each game?

In 2010 Price really struggled and lost his job to Halak (he won only 13 games that season). Price saw barely any time in the three rounds of the playoffs the Habs played in as he watched Halak carry the team from the bench.

Price's numbers in last year's playoffs were a terrible 3.26 GAA and .894 SV%.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

That's ages ago, nearly as ancient as Roberto Luongo's Olympic gold medal.

Luongo's devastating playoff meltdowns in 2011, however, are still fresh in the minds of hockey fans everywhere.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dbr wrote:That's ages ago, nearly as ancient as Roberto Luongo's Olympic gold medal.

Luongo's devastating playoff meltdowns in 2011, however, are still fresh in the minds of hockey fans everywhere.
Luongo's a better playoff goalie than Price.

lol it's not even close, really. See if you can guess who's who

9-17 .905 2.90
32-31 .916 2.54

Lou is more experienced, has won more than lost, has better save percentage and a better GAA.

The olympics will just be a "who's hotter RIGHT NOW".
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

dbr wrote:That's ages ago, nearly as ancient as Roberto Luongo's Olympic gold medal.

Those who choose to forget his shutouts & triumphs. If Van had won game 7 the consensus was he would have had the Conn Smythe.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ClamRussel wrote:

Those who choose to forget his shutouts & triumphs. If Van had won game 7 the consensus was he would have had the Conn Smythe.
Why am I getting serious responses?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

dbr wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:

Why am I getting serious responses?
Are you serious? :sly:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….