Anti-Canucks Media

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Anti-Canucks Media

Post by ClamRussel »

The Canucks are going through a tough stretch right now...perhaps its the beginning of a transition most teams have to make eventually...or perhaps its just they've got too many injuries to key players and not enough depth to overcome it...nevertheless you can just tell the majority of the media based in the East is just loving this. The Canucks have been by far the most dominant Canadian team for a decade now...and it bugs them. As the Oilers & Flames miss the playoffs year after the year, the Habs are a shell of their former selves and the leaves, well - up until this year have just plain sucked.

From CBC to TSN to Sportsnet (not counting the western based reporters) they just want to see the Canucks flop. Nothing else can explain this. I've seen them railing against Luongo all season. He won gold last time around and lots of these so-called analysts weren't even convinced he'd make the team. Like Roy & Brodeur in year's past you have to think he'll be given the ball to run with. Yes he's lost a handful of games in a row here...but look at the Canucks...they completely suck and are basically icing a minor league team. Yet analysts like Mike Johnson seem to think thats an indication that he's been struggling. Just a few weeks ago Price was laying an egg and totally sucking while Lu was coming off back-to-back injuries and playing very well. These things come in ebbs and flows. Anyone around hockey for any length of time understands that. But not if you have an agenda. The eastern-based media is basically lobbying for Luongo to get benched whereas none of the 3 have been particularly stellar this season in terms of consistency. They've all had their ups & downs. Some media are rallying for Smith to be the starter because he shutout the Hawks. Watch the clips and they would never have this discussion showing that amazing save Lu made where he dove back & batted the puck away...instead its bad goal after bad goal....whereas when they show Price its never letting in a goal, its save after save. Bias revealed.

Guaranteed they would be singing a different tune if the deal for Lu to Toronto had actually happened. Guaranteed.

http://www.tsn.ca/videohub/?collection=72&show=289550

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/shan ... ifference/
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Lancer
CC Legend

Re: Anti-Canucks Media

Post by Lancer »

Dude, it's everywhere. The schadenfruede on the part of every Canadian media type not in Vancouver is palpable and, frankly, disappointing if not disgusting. I half-expect Stock, Healy and McLean to do a jumping group-hug on-camera after a Canucks loss. The TSN gang is not much better.

I saw some of the same TSN coverage slanting against Lou. Funny how when Price was stinking up the joint there was no such coverage. But all Lou has to do is suffer behind a woefully-depleted blueline with a team suffering its worst slump in over a decade and, yeah, stick a fork in this has-been and make way for the saviour from the East.

It's why I barely watch or read anything except Vancouver-based media when it comes to anything Canucks. Even Skeletor grates on me sometimes, but at least they'll call a spade a spade without senselessly piling on the hate. Pretty bad when the homers are the closest thing to objective reporting on anything Canucks.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

How about the time when Ron MacLean came on the old Taylor/Pratt show on 1040 and all Taylor/Pratt did was took turns teabagging their hero - MacLeans balls instead of taking him to task over the Burrows Witch Hunt that MacLean put on. It was embarrassing listening to Pratt and Taylor wetting their pants talking to their hero. Our local sports media types are a bunch of fucking whimpy cowards. Plus Don Taylor has a terrible face for TV, it looks like it's melting on camera.

Tony Bones Gallagher got Gillis the job in Vancouver, so you are not going to get anything ill will towards Gillis out of Tony these days like you did with his arched enemies Quinn/Burke/Nonis. Gallagher is a coach hater, his whipping boy last season was AV, so you know he won't slag Torts cause Torts is his buddy Gillis guy. Gallagher is in a conundrum these days. Mike Gillis would have to be banging Tony's wife for Tony to turn on him.

Matt 'The Muppet Voice' Sekeres is a fucking clown "What Say You"

Bro Jake? LOLOL

B Mac who loves to cry and get sentimental about the old Sports Page days, idiot.

Ian Mcintyre - a nerd

Mr UBC Football Rintool, a weasel

The MOJ, fuck off with your CFL and NFL

The Botch, a weasel

Serioiusly, what media type in this city is any good? They all suck
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

While the local media are douchebags and generally completely clueless , what are they supposed to bee reporting ATM ? That the team is going well and just not getting the bounces ? The National media and other sources don't like the team for it's playing style. They hate the diving , whining , hair pulling , biting , bawling on TV about the ref etc. I love the Canucks but I can't get behind a lot of the nonsense the team has pulled over the years lately.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Pierre LeBrun, Elliot Friedman, and Bob McKenzie are probably the only media that I give much attention to. Anyone else is just like watching drunken hobos arguing over who gets to eat the dead rat behind the dumpster. You'll be more at peace if you just tune these guys out.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:They hate the diving , whining , hair pulling , biting , bawling on TV about the ref etc. I love the Canucks but I can't get behind a lot of the nonsense the team has pulled over the years lately.
How much of that has been totally blown out of proportion by a media that was looking for something to stick to the Canucks, and how much was what it really was?

Diving? Everybody's doing it, but nobody in the Eastern media are calling the likes of Anaheim or Chicago on it.

Whining? Back in the day, you may have had a point, but when you look at some of the shit that has gone on WRT the officiating and supplementary discipline can you really blame anyone for pointing out the double-standard? Call it what you will, but I wouldn't necessarily call it whining per se.

Hair-pulling? Yeah, no argument.

Biting? Somebody jams his finger in my mouth in a scrum, you think I wouldn't bite? I don't think I'm alone here, either. But it's the Bruins, and the TO media couldn't possibly stand a western team winning the Cup before the leaves, so it's an egregious instance of barbarism from an easy target. Whatever...

Bawling about reffing? When a ref is caught on camera telling a player he's going to get him, how is it the player's fault for expressing his frustration about it afterwards? That's like burning an altar boy at the stake for publicly outing the priest who buggered him. After one of the most egregiously-called playoff series that I can imagine against SJ, did the Canucks go on about it? Outside of the call that sealed the series, they didn't make a big deal of it and even then they were careful to say they didn't lose the series due to the calls.

Seems like you're lapping up what the TO and league-owned media are slopping out.

Hate the League.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I had a bad feeling when Healey said, just after Xmas,that the Canucks were a sure fire playoff team. Beyond what may be his biases (about which I don't really care), he's just dumb as a post, prett much everything he says turns out to be the exact opposite of the truth...such as that statement. It is generally the problem with the eastern media that they just don't spend any real time watching or bothering to know what is going on with the Canucks. I've heard quite a few say the Canucks offensive woes are tied to Torts new system, where anyone who knows what's been going on knows the team's scoring struggles have been going on for almost two years now. It's not the leaves, so they just don't bother to take the time...they'd rather cover the Marlies, they really would. I just don't/can't take it seriously.

then again, I live in Bruins country with their play by play guy Jack Edwards who has to be the worst homer, most vicious hater of other teams I have ever heard in my life...he's become a legend for it, even had to apologize at times, like when he compared Matt Cooke to Sirhan Sirhan...next to him, all other commentators seem fair and rational.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

The_Pauser wrote:Anyone else is just like watching drunken hobos arguing over who gets to eat the dead rat behind the dumpster.
Hobos with mikes, a-la Keith Olbermann. :P

Hate the League.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Everyone does dive Lancer, you're right. And I believe the Canucks have toned down that part of their game to where its in line with other teams. That doesn't change the fact that for two or three years under AV the team made a fucking mockery of the game. Should the national media hacks back off ? Yes they probably should and they will eventually.

Someone jams a finger in my face in a scrum, I drive the bastard in the head with my fist. This same player has kneed players in the groin, bitten them and pulled hair multiple times . How about throwing a fucking punch? Does he squat to piss too ? I'm not sure if I hate Burrows or Matt Cooke more.

Regarding the bawl baby act on tv that would be something I would be embarassed about if I was the player in question. He could have handled that so much better. He could have went to AV right after it happened instead of later on. He could have yapped right back in Auger's face and told him to fuck off and then went to AV. The whole thing made the player and the organization look like crybabies. Somebody in managment should have gotten to Burrows before he went live with the corcodile tears. As for Ron Macleans hatchet job it was brutal and that prick should have been fired imho. Way over the top and then the spin doctoring afterwards was a joke and even more disgusting. Then the bonesmokers in this media Taylor and Pratt don't have the balls to go after the crotchwatcher on the air in an interview.

I am not lapping up fuck all about the national media's opinion of this team but I do understand why this team is not well liked.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Oh no. Not only is the league and the officials against the Canucks, so is the national media.

Stop your fucking crying!
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote:Oh no. Not only is the league and the officials against the Canucks, so is the national media.
Not to mention the fair weather fans! :evil:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

People pile-on when you struggle. Happens to every team. Doesn't mean they're against you. That's how reporting is.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

ClamRussel wrote:The Canucks are going through a tough stretch right now...perhaps its the beginning of a transition most teams have to make eventually...or perhaps its just they've got too many injuries to key players and not enough depth to overcome it...nevertheless you can just tell the majority of the media based in the East is just loving this. The Canucks have been by far the most dominant Canadian team for a decade now...and it bugs them. As the Oilers & Flames miss the playoffs year after the year, the Habs are a shell of their former selves and the leaves, well - up until this year have just plain sucked.

From CBC to TSN to Sportsnet (not counting the western based reporters) they just want to see the Canucks flop. Nothing else can explain this. I've seen them railing against Luongo all season. He won gold last time around and lots of these so-called analysts weren't even convinced he'd make the team. Like Roy & Brodeur in year's past you have to think he'll be given the ball to run with. Yes he's lost a handful of games in a row here...but look at the Canucks...they completely suck and are basically icing a minor league team. Yet analysts like Mike Johnson seem to think thats an indication that he's been struggling. Just a few weeks ago Price was laying an egg and totally sucking while Lu was coming off back-to-back injuries and playing very well. These things come in ebbs and flows. Anyone around hockey for any length of time understands that. But not if you have an agenda. The eastern-based media is basically lobbying for Luongo to get benched whereas none of the 3 have been particularly stellar this season in terms of consistency. They've all had their ups & downs. Some media are rallying for Smith to be the starter because he shutout the Hawks. Watch the clips and they would never have this discussion showing that amazing save Lu made where he dove back & batted the puck away...instead its bad goal after bad goal....whereas when they show Price its never letting in a goal, its save after save. Bias revealed.

Guaranteed they would be singing a different tune if the deal for Lu to Toronto had actually happened. Guaranteed.

http://www.tsn.ca/videohub/?collection=72&show=289550

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/shan ... ifference/

Are you trying to say the Toronto media won't criticize a leaves player? LOL. Kessel and Phaneuf have been ripped-apart since day 1 in Toronto.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

BigTuna wrote:People pile-on when you struggle. Happens to every team. Doesn't mean they're against you. That's how reporting is.
Welcome back fish man, it didn't take you long did it?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

It's not something new, and it's not something I worry too much about.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that no-talent thugs like Kypreos or Stock, or geriatric former Bruins coaches like Cherry or Milbury didn't appreciate the head-snap-for-a-PP style the Canucks were using to such great success for a couple years. What made it laughable was the hypocrisy around it, when a guy like Dustin Brown is considered to be a "competitive leader" when taking a dive or throwing an elbow, and guys like Kesler are "embellishing". It's fine to call a spade a spade, but at least call them both "competitive embellishers".

I like the Fuck You attitude Tortorella has brought to this team, and they need to further embrace that. They don't have the personnel yet, but it's obvious the guy behind the bench doesn't give a fuck about what the media or rest of the league thinks about his team. Players like Burrows can either shut up and play the fucking game, or get off the bus. That's how the entire organization needs to operate. Thick skinned and honest hockey.

As for my own opinion, I agree with Blob. This team WAS an embarrassment to watch at times. Some players, Kesler and Burrows in particular, made it that much harder for guys like the Sedins (who took real beatings) to get calls. And I think that style came back to fuck us with the refs when we tried to play more aggressively (see: Sedin and Bieksa penalties in last years elimination game).