Paul Devorski

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Re: Paul Devorski

Post by RyanGinger »

22-33-17
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Are they out to get us?
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

sagebrush wrote:Are they out to get us?

always have been...but we are whiners if we mention it :crazy:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

rats19 wrote:
But we're a coordinated bunch. :mrgreen:

How else could we whine & dive at the same time?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

sagebrush wrote:
rats19 wrote:
But we're a coordinated bunch. :mrgreen:

How else could we whine & dive at the same time?
Only one way....we have spat the gum
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The referees for the olympic gold medal game have been announced.
Referees: Kelly Sutherland, Canada and Brad Meier, USA.
Linesmen: Derek Amell and Greg Devorski, both Canada.

What a joke.

:-(
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Per wrote:The referees for the olympic gold medal game have been announced.

What a joke.

Starting already Per :?:
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

What a joke.

Maybe the refs won't notice that there are Canuck players on the Swedish team. :mex:
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

What a joke.

Come on Per. Do you honestly and seriously believe the Foppa BS?

Do you honestly and seriously believe that the above referees would compromise their own integrity and professionalism (and subsequently call into the question the character and morals of hockey refs everywhere) to ref a game in a biased fashion so their home country can win a gold medal? On the world stage no less?

Calling NHL referees inconsistent is a fair statement. But implying that they are corrupt is going way too far IMO.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

mathonwy wrote:

What a joke.

Come on Per. Do you honestly and seriously believe the Foppa BS?

Do you honestly and seriously believe that the above referees would compromise their own integrity and professionalism (and subsequently call into the question the character and morals of hockey refs everywhere) to ref a game in a biased fashion so their home country can win a gold medal? On the world stage no less?

Calling NHL referees inconsistent is a fair statement. But implying that they are corrupt is going way too far IMO.
I do think they will do their best to remain impartial and professional, but I can't think of any other major sport where this would be accepted.

How would you feel about going to court over a business dispute and realize that the judge is a close relative of your opponents?

Either way, for the integrity of the game it would be better if the impartiality of the referees cannot be questioned, which is why their nationality matters. Otherwise controversial calls can easily create an outrage:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/18/sport ... .html?_r=0

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1996/Swedi ... 0d4f388075
Last edited by Per on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Per wrote: I do think they will do their best to remain impartial and professional, but I can't think of any other major sport where this would be accepted.

How would you feel about going to court over a business dispute and realize that the judge is a close relative to your opponent?
Is your perception based on a World Cup type of perception because I'm struggling to understand why you guys feel this way. I know that in the world cup, the nationalistic spirit gets taken to ludacris levels and there is probably billions of dollas on the line but this is the Olympic gold medal. It's important to Canada but cheating to get it would (in my opinion) go against everything Canada stands for.

Or am I just being naive?
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

mathonwy wrote:
Per wrote: I do think they will do their best to remain impartial and professional, but I can't think of any other major sport where this would be accepted.

How would you feel about going to court over a business dispute and realize that the judge is a close relative to your opponent?
Is your perception based on a World Cup type of perception because I'm struggling to understand why you guys feel this way. I know that in the world cup, the nationalistic spirit gets taken to ludacris levels and there is probably billions of dollas on the line but this is the Olympic gold medal. It's important to Canada but cheating to get it would (in my opinion) go against everything Canada stands for.

Or am I just being naive?
I don't think the game is fixed. I don't think the refs are corrupt. Imdon't think Canada intends to cheat.
But in a trial, a judge that has any links to one party will stand down to not compromise the integrity of the court, and another judge will handle the case. It's the same reasoning that is normally applied in international sports. You don't pick referees from the same country as one of the teams. I don't know why hockey ignores this.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Anyway, looking forward to the game, and I'm certain it won't be decided by the referees but the players.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Per wrote:Anyway, looking forward to the game, and I'm certain it won't be decided by the referees but the players.
Me too but there's always a negative taste if Sweden don't win this game. It could be prevented so easily but these retards don't get it. Too many stupid people on earth. :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The risk to me is the other way. Polite and well intentioned Canadians being self conscious of the fact that they have already been called out because they are reffing a game Canada plays in, bend over backwards to do the opposite. They want to be seen as fair and impartial so clamp down on Canada and let all the Swede stick work go!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It is well designed pre game bitching to get into the heads of the officials.

Fact is the best refs in the world are Canadians. The NHL also agreed to send its players only if N. American refs were in the majority. We all know how refs from elsewhere simply do not understand the N. American game nor NHLers. Ya I get it's an international game on international ice under international rules but we have seen far too many tournaments were the refs just screw the pooch. You want NHLers you gotta have NHL refs.

But it is well placed Swedish propaganda :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Let the game begin.

By the way, Sweden was the one team I didn't want to face in the gold medal game. My second favourite team, best goaltender in the world, great defence and highly skilled forwards. They are also masterful in clock killing and controlling the pace of the game. I want gold but if we have to lose I will be happy for Sweden!!
The only HW the Canucks need