I think we all need to give Royaldude his props here

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

I think we all need to give Royaldude his props here

Post by The Brown Knight »

I think we all need to give Royaldude his props here:

I know this is an obnoxious subject heading, but lets call a spade a spade.

The Canucks suck, and Mike Gillis sucks. Period. Gillis pretty much threw this team off a cliff after 2011 when he made the trade for Booth (which in theory......wasn't a terrible deal in my opinion.......since Booth was a talented and promising power forward.........on paper atleast), but then he went ahead and completely shit the bed with the Hodgson for Kassian deal (which completely changed the complexion of the Canucks' team......in terms of us attempting to win games by shutting down opponents), and then shit the bed a few more times with your Phalsson and Roy type deals. How he let guys like Erhoff, Torres, and Salo walk is completely beyond me. Not everything is about dollar value. Sometimes - the importance of what one plays to a team is more important than their market value from a salary cap perspective. This is just one thing that Gillis never quite grasped in my opinion.

As much as we might hate admitting this, RoyalDude called it right from the start despite being flamed on here.

Yes - he said a lot of erroneous things on here which came back to bite him in the ass, and yes............RD said a lot of things on here at nausea, but the bottom line here is that RD's "big picture" forecast of this team and of Mike Gillis was spot on. Period.

My hope for the deadline is this: We sell. Period. Adios Kesler, Adios Burrows, Adios, Bieksa, Adios, Edler.

Lets not make the same mistake the Flames did in 2009 and the leaves did in 2003, in terms of holding onto this core. It's not too late.

Lets say good-bye to this core, thank them for the memories (i.e. almost every single individual and team accolade outside of a Stanley Cup), and stack up on some promising youth.

Lets trade Kesler for the same type of deal that the Flyers got with Richards.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Topper
CC Legend

Re: I think we all need to give Royaldude his props here

Post by Topper »

The Brown Knight wrote: the trade for Booth (which in theory......wasn't a terrible deal in my opinion.......since Booth was a talented and promising power forward.........on paper atleast), ... Hodgson for Kassian deal ... Phalsson and Roy type deals... let guys like Erhoff, Torres, and Salo walk
The only deal in there I question is Roy. All the others made sense at the time and still do.

Booth cost nothing at the time, has been injured mostly and now healthy, he's inconsistent.

Hodgson still only knows 1/3 of the ice and needs to be sheltered everywhere else.

Pahlson and Roy where done to fill the Manny hole at a times a 3rd centre was desperately needed. Roy though was an over payment.

Erhoff wasn't staying at anything the Canucks could afford.

Raffi is a dumb plug pig.

How many games a year is an aging Salo around for?

This stinks of lets not do anything anytime because the status quo will always be better.
Last edited by Topper on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Who wasn't happy when we ditched Sammy and Sturm for Booth?

We all knew Pahlsson was no Malhotra but he was a decent stop gap with a ring and we were on pace to win the presidents trophy again.

Could Gillis have gotten more for Hodgson? Maybe, but any team that had a hockey analytic department could see he was being extremely sheltered in Vancouver.

My most hated trade was for Ballard, but I don't really know how good it was for either team.

The biggest tragedy in all of this is that we didn't make it to the finals in 2012 as the Canucks have historically done pretty well against the Devils and we could have finally curb stomped the bad luck juju. Boston was the worst team we could have matched up against in 2011 and they basically wrote the book on how to shut down the Canuck offence and victimize our defence.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

I'm not giving pegleg shit as even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

I bitch and complain about players (because I can't effect any change) but I'm still not convinced that the core is rotten to the point that it needs to be completely deconstructed.

The heart and character that we all saw in this team starting when the SSB line was formed all the way to game 7 of the SC finals is still there somewhere. It's just buried by injuries, shitty personnel decisions, coaching, whatever.

Idealistic? Probably. But hey... that's what being a fan is all about.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Am I the only one who thinks RD and the Brown Knight are the same people?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote: the trade for Booth (which in theory......wasn't a terrible deal in my opinion.......since Booth was a talented and promising power forward.........on paper atleast), ... Hodgson for Kassian deal ... Phalsson and Roy type deals... let guys like Erhoff, Torres, and Salo walk
The only deal in there I question is Roy. All the others made sense at the time and still do.

Pahlson and Roy where done to fill the Manny hole at a times a 3rd centre was desperately needed. Roy though was an over payment.
And it certainly didn't help that Gillis brought him in for strong depth at center and Vigneault played him on the wing.
Topper wrote: Erhoff wasn't staying at anything the Canucks could afford.
Most people don't get this because all they see is the $4M cap hit for Ehrhoff. It wasn't just the cap hit, it was also the term he was seeking. And to be honest, I think even the term was not unworkable for the Canucks, it was the $10M salary in year one plus the $8M signing bonus, followed by $8M in year two with a $5M bonus. Actually, Ehrhoff's contract is one I really don't get when I look at it. It back dives big time, but he will only be 38 years old when it is done. He's going to be in his mid-thirties, with plenty of gas left in the tank, and only getting paid $1M per year. So he is either planning on retiring early, or the Sabers are running the risk of having a guy just mail it in because he doesn't give a shit about getting paid or not at that point. It was a terrible deal for Buffalo, Ehrhoff's cap hit is really quite good, but if they trade him now they have essentially done any potential trading partners a big favour.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Benjo wrote:Who wasn't happy when we ditched Sammy and Sturm for Booth?
My most hated trade was for Ballard, but I don't really know how good it was for either team.
On paper it initially looked good for Vancouver.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Reefer2 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks RD and the Brown Knight are the same people?
I think him and Pauser are the same guy.

But you could be onto something.....maybe they are a 3-in-1? :look:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The Brown Knight wrote:I think we all need to give Royaldude his props here:
:shock:

What? Because he was the first one to give up on the team?! :o

:lol:

No can do. Do we want to encourage fans to be fickle? :eh:

Me? I still believe! 8-)

All this team needs is a goal scoring winger, a solid third line centre and a power play quarterback, and we're back in contention! :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: All this team needs is a goal scoring winger, a solid third line centre and a power play quarterback, and we're back in contention! :drink:
In that methanol you're smiley is drinking there Per?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well Per is right. We need a top six scorer. This allows us to roll two effective offensive lines.

We need a true third line centre. This allows us to spread the bottom six and have two effective lines there.

We need a PP quarter back, puck moving d'man. Enough said.

So if we could land those three pieces the question becomes what do we have to trade to get them? Will it cause us to weaken the team in other areas? If we could acquire those three pieces without effectively neutering ourselves elsewhere then I think we could compete again. So absolutely if MG can pull that off now or in the summer that is the way to go. Like it or nor we have the twins for four more years, barring a trade, so we still have to build around them.

Could Shinkaruk be a sniper next year, Fox? Could Horvat hold down the second line allowing Kesler to centre the third, or the other way around? Could the start of a solution be found in those two kids? If yes then the hunt is on to tweak the back end and build a supporting cast around the twins, Kesler, Shinkaruk and Horvat. Everyone else up front becomes expendable to meet that end. On the back end we have a great foundation and room to move 1-2 pieces to get a more proficient puck moving d.

I thnk RD has said what most of us believed and said. Problem is he is over the top, I told you so, takes pleasure in misery. It really isn't the case of the message being delivered but the messenger delivering it. So ya a, props to RD for stating the obvious but not to his obnoxious methods of doing so.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

HW, exactly why I wanted one or two of Gance/Horvat/Shrinkwrap on the roster this season.

Six to ten minutes a night from one or two of those would be fantastic right now.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

NHL psychology says bringing in two rookies at the same time increases the chance at success, as they can support one another and not feel singled out. [pulled outta my ass]

So...Horvat and either Shinkaruk or Gaunce or Jensen for the 2014/15 season imesho.

I'm betting on Shinkaruk if healthy, he played like a beast in the preseason.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Mëds wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks RD and the Brown Knight are the same people?

Or sort of like a rubik's cube..

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

mathonwy wrote:
Mëds wrote:

Or sort of like a rubik's cube..

Or hockey's 'Sybil'?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."