Team Canada Sochi

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Re: Team Canada Sochi

Post by Cookie La Rue »

rats19 wrote:
Cookie La Rue wrote:Kindergarten..... again and again and again..... :mrgreen:
Grow up la rue.. :sly:
Trying, but doesn't work . :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cookie La Rue wrote:
rats19 wrote:
Grow up la rue.. :sly:
Trying, but doesn't work . :mrgreen:
Never change..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

*Haha* Boyz will be boyz. :lol:
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Best of luck to the Canadian Men's Hockey Team

Post by The Brown Knight »

Best of luck to the Canadian Men's Hockey Team:

I'll take this time and wish the Canadian hockey team the best of luck.

It was a tremendously difficult decision on my part, but I have decided not to watch Olympic hockey at the Games this year. Mentally, I want to since it's......well.........Canada, but I'm just not feeling it. Too much bad blood after the 2011 playoffs that resulted in most Canadian fans cheering against us against the Bruins.

Having said that - I won't cheer against Canada either........as I pretty much agree with Isle Knuck, etc., that this would be pretty unpardonable if someone actually did that.

Instead - I'll watch other Olympic sports and support Canadian athletes in those endeavors.

There's more to life than hockey.

My interest in the NHL, and ultimately, the game of hockey, has been in steady decline since the 2011 loss.

The last game I watched was about a month ago against The Flyers. After the Flyers tied the game in the dying moments and then went on to win in Overtime, it was at that moment that I realized that I couldn't support this Canucks core any longer..........and that the Sport in itself was giving me "toxic" feelings. I'll see how I'm feeling come playoff time, if we even make it.

I'll return as a fan of both Team Canada and the Canucks one day............absolutely no doubt and no question about that.

For now though - I just need a break from what I perceive to be a toxic environment, toxic league, and toxic sport.

For those of you cheering on the Men's Canadian Hockey team however - my props to you on cheering the flag over the individuals and fans representing the flag. Unfortunately, it's not something I can do. Canada will have my support in every other sport however. No question.

GO CANADA.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Good grief, Farhan. Don't be so dramatic! No argument from me that the NHL is toxic. It's routinely ridiculous. However, as much as they'd like to think they do, the NHL does not define hockey. Hockey is my 5 year-old and me playing with worn-down sticks, a tennis ball, and a rickety net in the driveway. Hockey is shinny at 7AM on a Wednesday before work, or at midnight on a Saturday. When they drop the puck in Sochi, are you really going to worry about some Eastern bias against the Canucks? By all means watch all the other sports - we have some fantastic athletes in pretty much every competition - but, don't miss the hockey. It might be magic.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Puck wrote:Good grief, Farhan. Don't be so dramatic! No argument from me that the NHL is toxic. It's routinely ridiculous. However, as much as they'd like to think they do, the NHL does not define hockey. Hockey is my 5 year-old and me playing with worn-down sticks, a tennis ball, and a rickety net in the driveway. Hockey is shinny at 7AM on a Wednesday before work, or at midnight on a Saturday. When they drop the puck in Sochi, are you really going to worry about some Eastern bias against the Canucks? By all means watch all the other sports - we have some fantastic athletes in pretty much every competition - but, don't miss the hockey. It might be magic.

Good point about NHL not defining hockey. For me though, the Olympics will still have NHL players competing, and you'll also have guys like PJ Stock, Kevin Weekes, and Glen Healy giving their "analysis" of what's going on over there.

That's what makes it toxic for me. Rival players such as Jonathan Toews, Patrice Bergeron, Drew Doughty, etc., have also kind of ruined it for me, but that's not really their fault.

You're right that things could be magic, but I feel like I've already experienced Olympic hockey to the utmost. I was at the Gold Medal only a few rows behind the net when Crosby scored the Golden Goal. Will things get more magical than that?

Although everything is subject to change, I think the tentative plan for me right now is to just enjoy other sports. Expand my horizons so to speak. Follow the Utica Comets every now and then to see the development and progression of our prospects.

I feel tired and jaded by our current core, and am very perplexed at their collective mental problems. I'm actually quite baffled as to how mentally fragile our core is, and first noticed this problem in early 2009.

I've been on the gas pedal with the Canucks since 1987 through thick and thin, and through the good times and bad. Maybe a few years off to expand my horizons might not be such a bad thing? Who knows.

Back in mid 2012 when I deliberately flamed Cornuck on here with the sole intention of getting banned for a bit, it was my hope that I'd come back feeling fresh and re-juvinated. I did for a while there, but it just sort of went stale again. Know what I mean?

In a weird sort of way, my 'symptoms' are very similar to a concussion.........if that makes sense.

But again - not to take away from the thread - I do wish Team Canada Men's Hockey the best of luck....................and there definitely will come a day in the future where I will openly support them again.

The Dark Indian Rises
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

[quote="The Brown Knight"You're right that things could be magic, but I feel like I've already experienced Olympic hockey to the utmost. I was at the Gold Medal only a few rows behind the net when Crosby scored the Golden Goal. Will things get more magical than that?[/quote]

:shock:

Whoa. Nice. I can see how you'd think that will never be matched. So are you visible in that famous overhead photo that was taken within a second after Sid scored?
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Puck wrote:
Whoa. Nice. I can see how you'd think that will never be matched. So are you visible in that famous overhead photo that was taken within a second after Sid scored?
No, I wasn't that close. I think I may have exaagerated a wee bit when I said, "a few rows behind the net," LOL. :oops:

I was behind the net, but was closer to the gate entrance than I was the boards. I was a few rows in front of where the TSN crew were sitting (i.e. Darren Pang, Brian Burke, Bob McKenzie, and.......??? Gord Miller? I can't remember).

The Dark Indian Rises
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

shining their shoes
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Topper wrote:shining their shoes
nigga's gotta eat! :D

The Dark Indian Rises
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Just to be clear, fishing is not allowed in the toilets of the Olympic Village. Nor is vomiting, it seems.

Also, no hiding from people peeking under the door of the stall to see if you're in there. :hmmm:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

In Mother Russia,

They have ze humour!

The Dark Indian Rises
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The Brown Knight wrote:In Mother Russia,

They have ze humour!
As do the Canadians:

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Stamkos staying home, not clear by the Drs.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote:Stamkos staying home, not clear by the Drs.
Giroux, St. Louis, Staal??