Our craptacular power play

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Our craptacular power play

Post by Meds »

herb wrote: On the PP you can see the guys get the puck, think, think again, and by that time the defender is right in their grill. I just think some quicker decision making and quicker shots would do wonders at this point. Throw out the tape, and just work on quick shots from the point. Not necessarily hard shuts, but bang-bang plays. Get the defenders moving, get some shots on net and try to get some momentum at the very least.
Go watch replays for the last 5 seasons. Just a sampling is all you will need. Nothing has changed. This is how the Sedins have always done it, but the league has figured out that the way to beat them is just to not chase them around the boards. Hold your positional PK and the Sedins will kill the penalty for you by standing still and trying to find a way to make a play. It has always been this way.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mëds wrote:Go watch replays for the last 5 seasons. Just a sampling is all you will need. Nothing has changed. This is how the Sedins have always done it, but the league has figured out that the way to beat them is just to not chase them around the boards. Hold your positional PK and the Sedins will kill the penalty for you by standing still and trying to find a way to make a play. It has always been this way.
I see what you're saying. The Sedins have always been pretty stationary players, but their puck movement on the PP used to be a lot more fluid. How often do we see a one timer on the PP currently? Rarely.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

herb wrote:
Mëds wrote:Go watch replays for the last 5 seasons. Just a sampling is all you will need. Nothing has changed. This is how the Sedins have always done it, but the league has figured out that the way to beat them is just to not chase them around the boards. Hold your positional PK and the Sedins will kill the penalty for you by standing still and trying to find a way to make a play. It has always been this way.
I see what you're saying. The Sedins have always been pretty stationary players, but their puck movement on the PP used to be a lot more fluid. How often do we see a one timer on the PP currently? Rarely.
That's because the PK is setting up to take that away, and the Sedins are NOT a threat to drive the puck into the slot for a shot themselves, so it's ridiculously easy for opponents to make our PP look AHL quality.

Regardless, if the gameplan of our PP is to get shots from the point, be they one-timers or not, then the umbrella setup works for that and should leave us with a minimum of two forwards at the net. If they want to run that way then it should be Garrison at the point, with Kes and Hank on the wing so that when Garrison doesn't have a shot he has the option to feed it to the LW for Kes to unload a one-timer. Kassian/Burrows/Hansen/Higgins and Daniel can be at the net. There is absolutely NO need for Daniel to be picking his ass in the corner as a support option for Henrik. If Hank doesn't have a pass to the point, going to the corner is fruitless, so he should just try and thread it through traffic to the net. Make the PK respect that and he'll have more lanes to pass, and with 2 Canucks at the net it is at least an even number battle for the rebound initially.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Burrows is money on the PP. Money well spent there .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Didnt our PP suck last year cause AV refused to play Garrison there? What's the excuse this year cause our PP is worse this year than last year?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:Didnt our PP suck last year cause AV refused to play Garrison there? What's the excuse this year cause our PP is worse this year than last year?
I don't know but I'm sure Burrows will start lighting it up soon . Guy is a flat out stud .
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Lol, c'mon beers lets just agree that this group is done, been done for awhile
M
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Not Burrows he should have been on the Olympic team
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Not Burrows he should have been on the Olympic team
You are starting to sound like RD there Blob.....only instead of Gillis it's Burrows.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume this is intentional. :look:
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Mëds wrote:
You are starting to sound like RD there Blob.....only instead of Gillis it's Burrows.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume this is intentional. :look:
There's no way Burrows is this bad so sudden. Chalk it up to injuries, several this year, and being out of synch/conditioning. He'll get it back. Even if he's no longer at the level he was (neither of most of his teammates) he'll still be better than this.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:

At least my Gillis rants are valid, Blob is angry that his boi Gillis is getting shit on, deservedly so. Last season Blob blamed the giggler - AV, and Gillis did as well for all that was wrong, this year he is grasping at straws, hence - Burrows, cause he refuses to blame his boi - Gillis.

The process
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ClamRussel wrote:
There's no way Burrows is this bad so sudden. Chalk it up to injuries, several this year, and being out of synch/conditioning. He'll get it back. Even if he's no longer at the level he was (neither of most of his teammates) he'll still be better than this.
^this^
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I repeat, Burrows should have been traded over a year ago when he still had value and before negotiating his new contract. Some other fool should be paying him $8 million this year.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: I repeat, Burrows should have been traded over a year ago when he still had value and before negotiating his new contract. Some other fool should be paying him $8 million this year.
Burrows will get it together eventually, he's been derailed by some nasty injuries this season.

Whether or not he plays up to his cap-hit beyond this point is still debatable.

No doubt his trade value peaked somewhere between the summer of 2011 - summer of 2012.

But what kind of a message would trading him at that point have sent to the team?

Heart & soul player vastly out-performing his contract, scoring some of the biggest goals in Canuck history...

The fans at large would have been up in arms as well... at that point in time (hell, even Blob loved him!).

And hey, a GM should keep the fans at large as happy as possible, amirite?

He's still trade-able, though the return now would not be anywhere near as high obviously.

But it's not always the best idea to trade players at the height of their value.

There are other factors at play.

For example, trading the twins or Kesler at the height of their value would have been sheer lunacy.

Right now the fans at large are demanding a blockbuster trade.

Right now the fans at large would gladly accept pretty much any Canuck traded.

Including Burrows.

From a "keep fans happy" perspective, now (or this summer?) is the time to trade core players.

The summer of 2011/2012 was not the time... from that perspective.

Many of us here at the Corner were suggesting this past summer was the time to shake up the core.

But I don't think the fans at large were on board with that until recently.

BTW his actually earnings this year = $6m including his "signing bonus".

His actual salary the last year of his contract will be $3m in an... $80m salary cap NHL?

That salary and his $4.5m cap-hit might look extremely attractive to a cap-floor team at that point.

Just saying.
____
Try to focus on someday.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Topper wrote:I repeat, Burrows should have been traded over a year ago when he still had value and before negotiating his new contract. Some other fool should be paying him $8 million this year.
Strangelove wrote: Just saying.
IE. This ain't NHL 2013 and there are people in this market (quite a lot of them in fact) that have grown quite attached to members of the core group because of their 10/11 run. Getting rid of any of them is actually a big deal.

10/11 was the run - President's Cup trophy winner and SC 7th game loss. Hank won the Art Ross.

11/12 was a bit of a let down - President's Cup trophy winner (again), Dank getting concussed by Keith, 4-1 loss to the eventual SC Trophy winner. There was talk of the switch but there was no switch. We were switchless.

12/13 was a lock out year and the NHL season started on January 19th.

So less than a month into the lock out season, we should have traded Burr. Doesn't really makes sense.

- Kesler was out because of hip surgery and came back on Feb 15.
- Malholtra got retired.
- Then Kesler gets injured again and goes on IR.
- and then Bieksa gets injured.

So we're pretty much treading water to the trade deadline and with Kesler's injuries and the Sedins looking like they were playing injured, trading Burr was the last thing on anyone's mind.

-

Ok... should we have traded Burr in the summer of 2013? Well, who knows. There could possibly be a case to make for GMMG to have gutted the team last summer. Our playoff loss to the Sharks was quite an embarrassing one and could have been treated as the first real sign that we weren't good enough. But there just wasn't enough definitive evidence that that was the case IMO.