Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by mathonwy »

This is more of shot against Torts than against the players.

The Torts system is physically a very gruelling system. Combine all the shot blocking being done by all of our top 6 players, with using the Sedins on the PK, with Burrows's horrible luck with injuries, with the David Booth's complete lack of skill and with the overuse of all of the top 6 / top 4 players and you have the cluster of all fucks.

In defense of Torts, this team has been goal starved from day 1 of this season. Could we have made it into our current playoff spot if Torts HADN'T ridden our top three players (Sedin Sedin Kes) like a donkey? Or if he hadn't used the Sedins on the PK? Hard to say.

While I agree with Gillis that we're currently playing the wrong style that the team was built for, Gillis needs to be accountable for not bringing in the right personnel to help adapt the team to the new/old methodology he's talking about. It's not new because Anaheim won a cup in 2007 playing big boy hockey.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

mathonwy wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:The good news in all of this is that Santorelli should be cheap to sign next yeR :mrgreen:

Gotta feel for him. He was having a decent season with a chance to sign a 2-3 year deal worth more than the league minimum. Now that's all but toast.
I don't think so. I think what he showcased to the NHL so far was enough to convince most GM's that this guy was real deal. He's absolutely better than a 4th liner (and will continue to be so) and currently is a borderline 2nd/3rd liner.

If the Canucks try to lowball Santo, then I'm thinking some other goal starved team like Phoenix, Nashville, Montreal, Carolina, would be more than glad to pick him up.
Let them.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

mathonwy wrote:This is more of shot against Torts than against the players.
How so?

Isn't that the defensive zone system Torts coaches. Isn't it also the offensive zone system he coaches.

AV was the pretty goal guy and the players are still learning the transition. Some may and stick around, some may not and go elsewhere.

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Topper wrote:
mathonwy wrote:This is more of shot against Torts than against the players.
How so?

Isn't that the defensive zone system Torts coaches. Isn't it also the offensive zone system he coaches.

AV was the pretty goal guy and the players are still learning the transition. Some may and stick around, some may not and go elsewhere.
Oh, I actually misinterpreted the quote. Never mind!

Yes, I agree that its a shot against the first line telling them to keep it simple. The skilled goals aren't there to be scored because of all of the injuries we've been experiencing so garbage it up.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Canucks Misconduct ‏@nucksmisconduct
The Canucks have traded Dale Weise to Montreal for defenceman Raphael Diaz.
The Canucks are getting smaller... not that Dale Weise brings much to the table. Torts just does not like him... :mrgreen:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Henrik has been cleared to play.

Richardson is now out with an undisclosed injury. I have to assume his injury is related to the Eberle slash.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Jovocop wrote:
The Canucks are getting smaller... not that Dale Weise brings much to the table. Torts just does not like him... :mrgreen:
At least with the Torts version of the Canucks players who are not liked or utilized get traded rather than sitting in the pressbox sucking up cap space for no good reason. Maybe Gillis is grabbing a clue finally.....
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Jovocop wrote:
Not really, more like Diaz in for Weber, Lain in for Weise, look at eet someting like dat dere.
____
Try to focus on someday.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Dan Murphy ‏@sportsnetmurph 9m
Chris Higgins and Dan Hamhuis both out this evening with injuries suffered last night in Detroit. #Canucks Diaz and Pelletier will play.

That defence is looking thiiinnnn!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

$lacker wrote:Dan Murphy ‏@sportsnetmurph 9m
Chris Higgins and Dan Hamhuis both out this evening with injuries suffered last night in Detroit. #Canucks Diaz and Pelletier will play.

That defence is looking thiiinnnn!
Unreal. I'm just waiting for one of these pre-game "injury" announcements to actually be a smokescreen and the player gets dealt.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I'm waiting for 1973 to call and ask for their Canucks back.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Was speaking with a friend tonight. He was talking to a player after yesterday's game and sort of asked him about the alleged threats by MG to start making changes. The player told him that the NTC will not be a problem. If the Canucks want to move out guys with NTC all it does will allow those players to have some control over where they go. Basically said that none of the players would stay if they were asked to waive, when the team wants to move on you go, you just try to control the situation that is best for your family and career.

My friend said that it sounded to him that more than one player has discussed the issue and they seem resigned to the fact that if they don't get it done then several of them will find themselves gone. He did say that a number of players would be reluctant to waive until the summer, not wanting a mid season move but if the right opportunity came along, i.e. to a contender.....

This player did reiterate to my friend that no one in the dressing room is talking about moving on, they still want to be in Vancouver and win it here. He also said that he doubted Luongo would want to stay around for a re-build. Also noted that the twins would be pretty pissed if a re-build happened and that players like Kesler would test FA at the first chance.

Seems like the love affair with MG and the players is a little strained right now. There are players like Kesler, Bieksa, Luongo and the twins that want MG to do whatever it takes to make the team a contender and those same players don't want to be part of a re-build. Interesting times. The Olympic break is coming at the right time for this team, well a week ago would have been better.
The only HW the Canucks need
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

Hockey Widow wrote: There are players like Kesler, Bieksa, Luongo and the twins that want MG to do whatever it takes to make the team a contender and those same players don't want to be part of a re-build. Interesting times. The Olympic break is coming at the right time for this team, well a week ago would have been better.
As a fan I would in turn ask that these core players do whatever it takes to turn the fortunes of this team around. I give Henrik a pass currently. He is playing through a significant, painful injury. The others don't get a pass, particularly Daniel who looks completely listless right now. You want want this core kept together and the future mortgaged for the present? Pull your freaking socks up.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hockey Widow wrote:The player told him that the NTC will not be a problem. If the Canucks want to move out guys with NTC all it does will allow those players to have some control over where they go. Basically said that none of the players would stay if they were asked to waive, when the team wants to move on you go, you just try to control the situation that is best for your family and career.
I guess if MG has to blow up the team, he can just approach the guys with NTC and tell them the situation and ask for a list of teams they would be willing to go to. We probably won't get very much for those guys, but u gotta do what u gotta do.

players like Kesler would test FA at the first chance.
Does Kes have a NTC? If we rebuild, we gotta trade Kes. I think he still has 2 years on his deal and he's probably our most valuable asset and we should get the most for him if we shop him around in a potential trade.