Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Apparently the Blues are the team in hot pursuit of Callahan with picks and prospects like Rattie going the other way

Apparently Bieksa is being shopped
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

So how much are we going to do before the deadline?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Only the sellers win at the trade deadline Ratz. I'm all in for Gillis to sell, we only getting worse with this tired group, how much proof do u need? Do you really find this current Canuck product entertaining? It's boring as fuck
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

No I don't need any proof. It is before our very eyes. However no matter what happens I cheer them on.

I do know a change is needed I just wondered when. A little now and slot in the summer?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So being critical of your team and its management means you don't cheer them on? I'm as big a fan as you are Rats, it's ok to be critical if your team, it's alright, the Canuck gods will not condemn you to eternal Hates. It's not a sin
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Understood dude....but being critical can take many forms

Rats way= hope for help and start asking questions when nothing is changing.

Dudes way= state weaknesses and bad aquisitions earlier that most.

Repeatedly in all threads..

Neither is wrong one is just more demanding and harder to take. Maybe the truth does hurt..
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

rats19 wrote:No I don't need any proof. It is before our very eyes. However no matter what happens I cheer them on.

I do know a change is needed I just wondered when. A little now and slot in the summer?
I predict MG will do nothing, he is more of an agent than a GM.

He loves his players and will not admit he made a mistake.

Other then a few 3rd or 4th line players he will not a) trade any of the D and b) not trade any of the core forwards. Don't know why he wont maybe he is chicken and does not know how?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote: Ryan Ginger's best comment...agree with this. Not the direction this team has to go. You gotta give up youth and picks to land Callahan and thats just not what this team has to do, plus like Ginger says, he really isn't your bonafide offensive dynamo that this team really needs in the top 6.

Callahan is good if you feel you are in the hunt for Lord Stanley, I see L.A., San Jose, Chicago, St. Louis, Anaheim as the most suitable suitors for the services of the Callahan. The Canucks, as reported by Lebrun, are in full re-tool/re-build mode, with the attention of 'Getting Younger', trading for a blue collar vet type with some skill doesn't suit where this team needs to go which is a focus on the future centering around the likes of Kassian and Horvat with the Sedins hanging around as their mentors still making us competitive in the mean time which is basically re-tool mode as reported by Lebrun.

I see Bieksa and Burrows as two players who Cup Contenders would pay dearly for to have on their team. Bieksa is from Ontario, lives their in the off-season, he'd easily waive to go finish off his days near home, same goes for Burrows. Might be able to snag a Curtis Lazar for a Burrows or Bieksa. Both Bieksa and Burrows are well into their 30's, not many years of bite left in these gritty players, might as well trade them as you could fetch a real good return for the two.

Kesler I ain't in a rush to trade, still has lots of hockey in him left, need some quality vets around to bring up the kids. Unless a deal for Kesler is too good to turn down

Higgins
Richardson
Hansen
Garrison
Weise

I'd be shopping them. Booth you buy out. Time for Mikey to start going with the kids, instead of retreading reclamation projects

Lulongo is an interesting one, if you go in rebuild/re-tool mode if you can manage to steal some youth out of Florida fucking go for it. Turn the fucking page. Don't see Lulongo being to keener on going through a re-tooling situation here.
:eh:

Seriously Dude, why don't you post like this all of the time? I get the outbursts in a GDT when the team is shitting the bed or after they lose. This post makes absolute sense and doesn't contain any of the obtuse vitriol that you usually spew.

I for one agree with you on Kesler. Lebrun and McKenzie are saying that everyone is available outside of the Sedins, I think that's a mistake. Kesler is the turbo diesel that drives the bus, the Sedins are the outboard motor that putters around the perimeter of the offensive zone.

I really like what Ferraro was saying during the game yesterday about Kesler. His game is too physically dynamic for the minutes he's playing every game, especially considering that more often than not he is bringing most of the energy to his line at both ends of the ice.

The only players that I'm not shopping around.....

Horvat
Shinkaruk
Kassian
Lain
Tanev
Kesler
Lack

Beyond that I think everyone else should be made available if the return is right.

The one thing that I can't understand about the rationale that the sports writers are using for this is when they hold the Flames up as an example because they chased the dream for too long and hung on to Iginla and Kiprusoff until they had no value, but then the Sedins are the ones that should be kept. I just don't see the Sedins being the guys to lead us back to the Stanley Cup, in fact I see them being more of a drag on the team in that regard considering the way the game is being called right now, and they would also bring the most return.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Mëds wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Ryan Ginger's best comment...agree with this. Not the direction this team has to go. You gotta give up youth and picks to land Callahan and thats just not what this team has to do, plus like Ginger says, he really isn't your bonafide offensive dynamo that this team really needs in the top 6.

Callahan is good if you feel you are in the hunt for Lord Stanley, I see L.A., San Jose, Chicago, St. Louis, Anaheim as the most suitable suitors for the services of the Callahan. The Canucks, as reported by Lebrun, are in full re-tool/re-build mode, with the attention of 'Getting Younger', trading for a blue collar vet type with some skill doesn't suit where this team needs to go which is a focus on the future centering around the likes of Kassian and Horvat with the Sedins hanging around as their mentors still making us competitive in the mean time which is basically re-tool mode as reported by Lebrun.

I see Bieksa and Burrows as two players who Cup Contenders would pay dearly for to have on their team. Bieksa is from Ontario, lives their in the off-season, he'd easily waive to go finish off his days near home, same goes for Burrows. Might be able to snag a Curtis Lazar for a Burrows or Bieksa. Both Bieksa and Burrows are well into their 30's, not many years of bite left in these gritty players, might as well trade them as you could fetch a real good return for the two.

Kesler I ain't in a rush to trade, still has lots of hockey in him left, need some quality vets around to bring up the kids. Unless a deal for Kesler is too good to turn down

Higgins
Richardson
Hansen
Garrison
Weise

I'd be shopping them. Booth you buy out. Time for Mikey to start going with the kids, instead of retreading reclamation projects

Lulongo is an interesting one, if you go in rebuild/re-tool mode if you can manage to steal some youth out of Florida fucking go for it. Turn the fucking page. Don't see Lulongo being to keener on going through a re-tooling situation here.
:eh:

Seriously Dude, why don't you post like this all of the time? I get the outbursts in a GDT when the team is shitting the bed or after they lose. This post makes absolute sense and doesn't contain any of the obtuse vitriol that you usually spew.

I for one agree with you on Kesler. Lebrun and McKenzie are saying that everyone is available outside of the Sedins, I think that's a mistake. Kesler is the turbo diesel that drives the bus, the Sedins are the outboard motor that putters around the perimeter of the offensive zone.

I really like what Ferraro was saying during the game yesterday about Kesler. His game is too physically dynamic for the minutes he's playing every game, especially considering that more often than not he is bringing most of the energy to his line at both ends of the ice.

The only players that I'm not shopping around.....

Horvat
Shinkaruk
Kassian
Lain
Tanev
Kesler
Lack

Beyond that I think everyone else should be made available if the return is right.

The one thing that I can't understand about the rationale that the sports writers are using for this is when they hold the Flames up as an example because they chased the dream for too long and hung on to Iginla and Kiprusoff until they had no value, but then the Sedins are the ones that should be kept. I just don't see the Sedins being the guys to lead us back to the Stanley Cup, in fact I see them being more of a drag on the team in that regard considering the way the game is being called right now, and they would also bring the most return.
To trade Kesler I need something like Emerson Etem, Devante Smith-Pelly and Ottawa's 1st from Anaheim. You get your offensive potential top 6 guy, your 2nd or 3rd line energy guy and a chance for another very good prospect. There's just no reason to trade him unless it's a bucketful coming back.

Guys like Higgy, Hansen, Richardson, I trade with no real second thoughts. There's a big market for guys like this at the deadline every year. Bieksa, Edler I'm a little more measured about given they either have lots of years left (Edler) or play a game that's just very hard to replace (Bieksa).

For me the twins stay, Burr stays because he's not worth much right now - would trade him for a good offer but his value is low. Kassian stays. Tanev, Corrado and all the kids stay. The rest can be had for the right price.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mathonwy wrote: The knock on Callahan is his point production and its a big knock. His best year was 11/12 with 54 points and you can't really say that he's a solid 20 goal scorer.

... Nah. I don't think Callahan is what the Canucks need... We need a finisher...
Ummm... what part of "29-goal pace since the summer of 2010" did you not understand? :scowl:

Not bad for a "defensive player".
RyanGinger wrote: Callahan's a solid player, but we need a pure goal-scorer, and he isn't. Think E.Kane, O'Reilly, etc.
Kane and ROR have thus far provided similar goal-scoring to that of Callahan (see above).

Having said that, OF COURSE I'd prefer Kane and ROR to Callahan!

The proof of dat dere is in my postings.

Obviously Kane & ROR are younger, bigger, stronger, have more upside.

But no doubt Kane/ROR would cost significantly more than Callahan in a trade.

Having said that, media reports since yesterday are suggesting Canucks are looking for younger players.

So I'll drop the Callahan talk..... for now. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

I just don't see what Callahan brings to the Canuck that is all that special when compared to the guys we already have.

Plays big, blocks shot, heart and soul. Every player on our Canucks plays that way. Callahan is all about the intangibles. Our team doesn't lack in that department. It lacks in the pure skill department and aside from Kassian, nobody on our current is "getting better" fast enough to be able to bridge the team to when Horvat takes over. Horvat won't be a real factor on our team until at least 3 years from now.

What would we have to give up for Callahan? Or, who would AV want back on his team?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mathonwy wrote: What would we have to give up for Callahan? Or, who would AV want back on his team?
Ummm... what part of... "I'll drop the Callahan talk"... did you not understand? :scowl:

Time for a segue methinks...

Kesler + Burrows + Edler... FOR... Malone(cap dump) + Salo(cap dump) + Drouin + Connolly.

Tampa becomes Cup favorites (for a few years?).

Canucks add to their extremely bright future.

Both teams do well at the gate. :mex: :crazy: :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Callahan is an up coming UFA this summer and his demands for his next contract are said to be a 7 year $42 million contract. No thank you.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Strangelove wrote:
mathonwy wrote: What would we have to give up for Callahan? Or, who would AV want back on his team?
Ummm... what part of... "I'll drop the Callahan talk"... did you not understand? :scowl:

Time for a segue methinks...

Kesler + Burrows + Edler... FOR... Malone(cap dump) + Salo(cap dump) + Drouin + Connolly.

Tampa becomes Cup favorites (for a few years?).

Canucks add to their extremely bright future.

Both teams do well at the gate. :mex: :crazy: :mex:
Tampa would instantly be the team to beat in the east. Especially with Stamkos coming back.

And I would be one of the saddest pandas in the world for a little bit. Just not ready to let go of Kes and Bur. Edler can go fuck himself though. :lol:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Agreed that Edler can go fuck himself. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.