Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by mathonwy »

Mëds wrote: I have no problem with Callahan as a player, in fact I think he would really add a missing dynamic to our top 6, and I would like what he could bring to this team.

I do have a problem with how much it will cost to get him from New York, and also the price tag he will bring as rumor has it that the Rangers are not interested in re-signing him because he is seeking $6+M per year. That is WAY too much for him, and so I'm think Gillis should take a pass on him.

Kind of looks like a Higgins type of player except Higgins is on pace for 46 points this year, is 6'0 and 205 lbs.

Pass.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I hadn't actually looked at his stats from this year.

And I thought he was closer to Kesler's size.

How the HELL does anyone think this guy is worth $6M/yr?????

But maybe he can be a guy to come in and mentor some people......whadya say? :P
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

queasy feeling about this, David Clarkson part 2.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Lubrun-TSN wrote: LeBrun: I can tell you this - they will not be in on the rental market and I think there have been some decisions made in Vancouver over the past week, which is this: We're not good enough to go out and beat a Chicago or St. Louis or some of the powerhouse teams in the West. We're not giving up on the season, but if we make a trade, it's for a young player. It's time to retool and reset in Vancouver after all these years of contending. It's all about youth and other than the Sedin twins, I think all bets are off for almost any other player on that roster. Alexander Edler on defence will get a lot of interest probably after the Olympics. Interesting times ahead, in my opinion, in Vancouver.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=442713
Thank God if this is on the level.....
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

$6M for Callahan :lol: :drink:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I can't seem to find anyone anywhere who agrees with me on Callahan being worth $6m.

Oh well.

I think he's worth every penny.

Kills penalties with aplomb, forechecks like a demon, hits hard & often, great vision/playmaker...

And he's been on a 29-goal pace since the summer of 2010! :drink:

He knows Torts' system and Torts loves him.

I think he'd be awesome on fellow-US-Olympian Kesler's wing.

A few years from now $6m-per will likely be cheap for a solid top-6 forward.

And make no mistake, this guy is a SOLID top-6 forward.

Edler for Callahan, getter done Mikey! :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Mëds wrote: But maybe he can be a guy to come in and mentor some people......whadya say? :P
Don't make me beat you with RD's peg leg.

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

I wonder when the shit hits the fan? Gillis has given this team every chance to get out of this slump, they've been going on a quarter of the season like this. It's the way they are playing that frightens me, they look like absolute garbage most nights. When they were losing early in the season they were outplaying teams almost every night; now they are being outplayed every night.

I'm a very, very patient fan but something isn't right here, they need something to happen off the ice. Henrik out is killing them but that's not all of it.

Obviously a change or two is needed. A guy like Jannik, Richardson or another minor(ish) piece might not be enough. We will see what happens, Gillis has a few valuable pieces that he can trade but it's apparent this team has been together too long in this iteration and has grown stale.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:I can't seem to find anyone anywhere who agrees with me on Callahan being worth $6m.

Kills penalties with aplomb, forechecks like a demon, hits hard & often, great vision/playmaker...

And he's been on a 29-goal pace since the summer of 2010! :drink:

He knows Torts' system and Torts loves him.

And make no mistake, this guy is a SOLID top-6 forward.
I'd be ok with it actually, if the return is Burrows, as they are quite similar players and ya know AV would vouch for him. #muchneededshakeup
Both teams take a bit of risk.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote: I'd be ok with it actually, if the return is Burrows, as they are quite similar players and ya know AV would vouch for him. #muchneededshakeup
Yep. Risk for the Canucks is they trade Burrows for a rental and either miss the playoffs or lose in round 1. Burrows is playing horribly and has no confidence, but I'd rather trade him for a prospect or a draft pick than dump him for a guy that walks in July.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote: I'd be ok with it actually, if the return is Burrows, as they are quite similar players and ya know AV would vouch for him. #muchneededshakeup
Yep. Risk for the Canucks is they trade Burrows for a rental and either miss the playoffs or lose in round 1. Burrows is playing horribly and has no confidence, but I'd rather trade him for a prospect or a draft pick than dump him for a guy that walks in July.
But what if the team the NYR allowed to talk to callahan/agent is the canucks? before the trade.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

http://blogs.canoe.ca/slam/hockey/john- ... e-rangers/
http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/range ... n-callahan
http://hockey.dobbersports.com/index.ph ... ny-heatley
http://www.dirtydangle.com/2013/02/ryan ... night.html
http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2011/09/r ... ptain.html

Ok... I think Callahan is quite a good hockey player that works extremely hard and sets the tone for the team.

But is he worth 6M?

Recent contracts
Thornton got 6.75 for 3
Marleau got 6.66 for 3
Stajan got 3.125 for 4 :lol:
Cogliano for 3 for 4
Steen got 5.8 for 3 years.
Dank and Hank got 7 for 4 years.
Pominville got 5.6 for 5 years.
Nuge got 6 for 7 years.
Landeskog got 5.6 for 7.

The knock on Callahan is his point production and its a big knock. His best year was 11/12 with 54 points and you can't really say that he's a solid 20 goal scorer.

Nah. I don't think Callahan is what the Canucks need. Everyone on our roster is both hardworking and is willing to lay their body on the line. We need a finisher and/or someone younger.

I'd probably be ok to give Ryan O'Reilly or Paul Statsny 6M.

--

A team that would probably benefit hugely from Callahan would be the Coilers. Tonnes of skill but no character.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If the team is really seeing this the way most fans do then it could be a good trade deadline and off season. They don't have to trade away a lot of guys but they could jettison some of our 3rd and4th liners. Yes we would only get picks, maybe a prospect or two but we would free up cap and roster spots.

This was supposed to be the year we saw an injection of youth but MG got cold feet and sent both Bo and Hunter back to junior.

This team is so bad......
The only HW the Canucks need
RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Post by RyanGinger »

Strangelove wrote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 29s
Developing story, NYR grant permission to at least 1 team who has already talked with Callahan's agent. More on Sportscentre. #TSN
Got this weird feeling it's GMMG.

GO MIKE GO!!!
Callahan's a solid player, but we need a pure goal-scorer, and he isn't. Think E.Kane, O'Reilly, etc.
22-33-17
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

RyanGinger wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 29s
Developing story, NYR grant permission to at least 1 team who has already talked with Callahan's agent. More on Sportscentre. #TSN
Got this weird feeling it's GMMG.

GO MIKE GO!!!
Callahan's a solid player, but we need a pure goal-scorer, and he isn't. Think E.Kane, O'Reilly, etc.
Ryan Ginger's best comment...agree with this. Not the direction this team has to go. You gotta give up youth and picks to land Callahan and thats just not what this team has to do, plus like Ginger says, he really isn't your bonafide offensive dynamo that this team really needs in the top 6.

Callahan is good if you feel you are in the hunt for Lord Stanley, I see L.A., San Jose, Chicago, St. Louis, Anaheim as the most suitable suitors for the services of the Callahan. The Canucks, as reported by Lebrun, are in full re-tool/re-build mode, with the attention of 'Getting Younger', trading for a blue collar vet type with some skill doesn't suit where this team needs to go which is a focus on the future centering around the likes of Kassian and Horvat with the Sedins hanging around as their mentors still making us competitive in the mean time which is basically re-tool mode as reported by Lebrun.

I see Bieksa and Burrows as two players who Cup Contenders would pay dearly for to have on their team. Bieksa is from Ontario, lives their in the off-season, he'd easily waive to go finish off his days near home, same goes for Burrows. Might be able to snag a Curtis Lazar for a Burrows or Bieksa. Both Bieksa and Burrows are well into their 30's, not many years of bite left in these gritty players, might as well trade them as you could fetch a real good return for the two.

Kesler I ain't in a rush to trade, still has lots of hockey in him left, need some quality vets around to bring up the kids. Unless a deal for Kesler is too good to turn down

Higgins
Richardson
Hansen
Garrison
Weise

I'd be shopping them. Booth you buy out. Time for Mikey to start going with the kids, instead of retreading reclamation projects

Lulongo is an interesting one, if you go in rebuild/re-tool mode if you can manage to steal some youth out of Florida fucking go for it. Turn the fucking page. Don't see Lulongo being to keener on going through a re-tooling situation here.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau