Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: Factor in an growing cap ceiling and things don't look all that bad at all.
Well we have to understand that we are still projected to be one of the highest-spending teams next year.

Next season (with Booth, remember) we sit 3rd in the league (behind Chicago and Boston) with $10.1M in cap space and a 17 man roster. Removing Booth gives us $14.35M and 16 players signed. $14.3M in cap space still puts us at 7th highest payroll in the league.

We need to be cognizant, especially when discussing Free Agents, that there will be 20 teams in the league with $20M or more in cap space next season. 5 teams have more than $30M in cap space.

So yeah, the Canucks having some wiggle room is great, but chances are a team like Buffalo ($42M in cap space next season) can offer any UFA more money than we can. It's certainly plausible that second-line/top-6 wingers go for $5M+ this summer.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Mëds wrote: Factor in an growing cap ceiling and things don't look all that bad at all.
Well we have to understand that we are still projected to be one of the highest-spending teams next year.

Next season (with Booth, remember) we sit 3rd in the league (behind Chicago and Boston) with $10.1M in cap space and a 17 man roster. Removing Booth gives us $14.35M and 16 players signed. $14.3M in cap space still puts us at 7th highest payroll in the league.

We need to be cognizant, especially when discussing Free Agents, that there will be 20 teams in the league with $20M or more in cap space next season. 5 teams have more than $30M in cap space.

So yeah, the Canucks having some wiggle room is great, but chances are a team like Buffalo ($42M in cap space next season) can offer any UFA more money than we can. It's certainly plausible that second-line/top-6 wingers go for $5M+ this summer.
Most of my post was based on the hypothetical. And our cap space really isn't a concern to me when most of what I'm talking about for significant changes were done via trade.

I don't actually expect Gillis to make a big splash in the UFA market this year. If there is a splash to be made by MG it will be before, or at, the trade deadline. The summer will be fore filling in some support roles. Hopefully we won't be needing to chase after some $5M players during the off-season.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Mark Fistric signed a 3 year extension with the Ducks for relative cheap contract. The former Giant captain would of been a good guy to have around to give our backend more size and grit.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Mark Fistric signed a 3 year extension with the Ducks for relative cheap contract. The former Giant captain would of been a good guy to have around to give our backend more size and grit.
2013/14:
Stanton at $550 > Fistric at $900

2014/15
Stanton at $550 > Fistric at $1.26
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

don't worry we will sign mitchell at $3M per.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

YESTERDAY:
http://www.milehighhockey.com/2014/1/29 ... or-5-years

Roy just came into my store and my buddy was bagging for him. Chit-chatting he says varly has been playing on his head.

Roy looks at him and goes "I know. That's why we just signed him for 5 years."

He looks at him in shock and says "really!?"

"you're the first to hear about it."

He was super nice and gave a fist pump when my friend told him "nice win in Dallas the other night."

TODAY:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=442606

DENVER -- The Colorado Avalanche have signed goaltender Semyon Varlamov to a five-year extension that goes through the 2018-19 season, worth $29.5 million.
:lol:

Still hate Roy though...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote:don't worry we will sign mitchell at $3M per.
U think Willie would come back here? I guess he didn't leave in bad terms like Manny, he wanted to play here pretty bad the first time around and he shows up to the Canucks fishing derby in the offseason. As much as I liked Willie, not sure if getting another older player with a fairly high contract is exactly what we need.

BladesofSteel wrote:2013/14:
Stanton at $550 > Fistric at $900

2014/15
Stanton at $550 > Fistric at $1.26
Yeah, Stanton is a good pickup and great value right now, and with him in rounding out out top 6, we don't really have room for Fistric. Just thinking Fistric would bring more grit, size and nastiness to our backend cuz after Juice, our D is relatively soft. Stanton is probably a better all around player though; a potential Willie Mitchell type actually (Stanton's probably a better skater, maybe not as tuff, but pretty hard to beat defensively lke Willie).
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Not a signing, RFA, or injury, but still happening around the league...

https://mobile.twitter.com/FlaPanthers/ ... laPanthers
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Letang out long term.

He had a stroke found out he has a small heart defect.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=443206
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

John Tavares out for the rest of the NHL season with a torn left MCL and miniscus suffered in the last Olympic game. Tough blow for the Islandes and Tavares. I guess Duschene will get a chance to show he was a good choice.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Good thing the pick they dealt for Vanek is top 10 protected..
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

dbr wrote:Good thing the pick they dealt for Vanek is top 10 protected..
Isn't the pick for 2014 or 2015 ? It's one of the other I believe Islanders choice.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
dbr wrote:Good thing the pick they dealt for Vanek is top 10 protected..
Isn't the pick for 2014 or 2015 ? It's one of the other I believe Islanders choice.
I thought it was 2014, if the pick is in the top ten the Islanders have the option of deferring to 2015.

Effectively it's the same thing though, since they are not going to pass six non-NJD teams over 22 games without Tavares (and I'm guessing they dump Vanek and MacDonald now, if it wasn't already in the plans)..

Of course, if they keep the pick they'll be hard-pressed to improve enough over the offseason to avoid giving the Sabres another top 10 pick in a draft that is by most accounts, significantly better...
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

The Islanders are a fucking mess. How Garth Snow still has a job is beyond me.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Art Vandelay wrote:The Islanders are a fucking mess. How Garth Snow still has a job is beyond me.
But didn't you hear it is all the Olympics fault, the fans of NYI are upset that he wont be available for 10 more home games. Gee maybe they will slip to 30th overall for home attendance instead of 29.

What a goof, he actually make Burke and No-nuts look good.