Bill Wirtz @ Vancouver - 7:30 - TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Bill Wirtz @ Vancouver - 7:30 - TSN

Postby Mondi » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:06 am

dbr wrote:
Mondi wrote:Ha, it's 2 buzz when I enter my underground parking. It's 2-2 when I turn the TV on upstairs.

This team has been choking up leads and getting pounded all season.

They've lost 12 out of 14 playoff games going back THREE YEARS.

This is not a slump.

Come on man. This team has won 4 of its last 14 and you're telling me this isn't a slump? This is just this team's true colours, and a President's trophy, an 8th overall finish and a 10-1-2 finish in December were all just fantastical illusions?

(Those are of course things that have happened in the last 2.5 years, if you want to go back to THREE YEARS ago you probably need to include the spring of 2011 which I mean, yeah.)

The truth is pretty clearly somewhere in between but if you're seriously trying to claim this team is not slumping then I'd suggest that you either don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about, or that you've sided so firmly with the RoyalDude/Pauser set that you're saying things you don't really believe (I'd guess the latter because I don't take you for a moron)..

No doubt this team is bad compared to what we've seen in the last five years but they are missing 2 of their top 3 centres right now on top of that and if you don't think it's skewing the results I just.. I don't even know what to say.

We agree man, it' s just about how we express it. The team looks stale and unable to keep up with the big fish. Most everyone agrees that they aren't as good as they once were. Where we might disagree is that I don't think the team is capable of catching lightning in a bottle (even with Henrik, Tanev, and Santorelli) and kocking off Anahiem, San Jose or Chicago. We also might disagree on the impact mediocre managment has had on the steep decline. As you may note, many of the top teams from 2011 remain at or near the top of the league.

This team reminds me of the fading WCE seasons(i.e. 2006-2008). Except this time, the Twins aren't coming up to replace the top line. A team built around Kassian, Horvat and Nik Jensen isn't likely to keep Patrick Kane up at night. Remember,we have years of Kane and Toews to think about, kind of like the years of Sakic and Forsber we once dealt with.

There is no shame in admitting this group isn't the group that is going to win the Cup and starting to move assets for prospects and/or looking to change the core on the fly. Of course, our GM gave everyone a new contract and NTC.

In the mean time, there is no shame in pointing out that the team isn't good enough to compete, as evidenced by the fact that they may drop out of the playoffs in the near future.

I mean you have to look at the players who are getting outclassed on a nightly basis. This isn't down to splitting hairs about Booth, Weise, Raymond, Lapierre, or Sestito. This is a team with stars (Kesler, Sedin, Sedin, Edler, Burrows) who are not performing and have been "slumping" for 10-20 games each. But also who have not looked the same since early in the 2011-2012 season.

Time is starting to pass the team by, yet there seems to be a group of climate change deniers on these boards.

The defence is pretty good. The goalies are pretty good. But the fowards are bottom 10 in the league.

That's yer problem right there...until they regain full health and Gillis tries to improve the team. I expect that the results will continue to speak for themselves.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Bill Wirtz @ Vancouver - 7:30 - TSN

Postby Reefer2 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:03 pm

dbr wrote:
Come on man. This team has won 4 of its last 14 and you're telling me this isn't a slump? This is just this team's true colours, and a President's trophy, an 8th overall finish and a 10-1-2 finish in December were all just fantastical illusions?

(Those are of course things that have happened in the last 2.5 years, if you want to go back to THREE YEARS ago you probably need to include the spring of 2011 which I mean, yeah.)

The truth is pretty clearly somewhere in between but if you're seriously trying to claim this team is not slumping then I'd suggest that you either don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about, or that you've sided so firmly with the RoyalDude/Pauser set that you're saying things you don't really believe (I'd guess the latter because I don't take you for a moron)..

No doubt this team is bad compared to what we've seen in the last five years but they are missing 2 of their top 3 centres right now on top of that and if you don't think it's skewing the results I just.. I don't even know what to say.

I will state this.

I believe the Canucks can win the SC with a couple changes to the core.

We need a QB D Man and a top 6 forward to play on Kesler's line.

Proven players not 1 hit wonders or reclamation projects.

Sedin's are still top players in the league and Luongo aint not slouch.
Reefer2
CC Hall of Fan Member

Previous

Return to Game Day Forum