Daniel Sedin

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Daniel Sedin

Post by mathonwy »

So with 13 goals and 26 assists this season, Daniel was on pace for 21 goals and 43 assists this season until Hank went down (for god knows how long).

The last time Daniel scored so few goals was in 2005/06 with 22g/49a.

My question is, what kind of player is Daniel? Who in the league would you compare him to?

- Daniel is not fast or strong
- You never see Daniel on a break away.
- He doesn't "seem" to generate his own scoring chances.
- I don't notice Daniel making his teammates better.
- Defensively, I think he's ok.
- His puck handling is quite good but as he's not a strong player, he's seems to be only effective when he's along the boards cycling. I do not see Daniel stick handling in traffic very much.
- His positioning and ice vision is quite good as he's very good at being at the right place at the right time to receive the pass from his brother.
- When the twins are ever split up, Hank's line is usually the better line.

So who are the comparables when talking about Daniel? Hypothetically speaking, in a world without Hank, would you choose to have Dank on your team or Kesler? Or Burrows? Or Higgins?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Daniel Sedin

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hank has had to play stretches without Dank and as a centre and play maker can still be a set up guy. He has handled himself will without Dank to the point where he had a career hi goals.

This is the first time Dank will have to play without his brother. I hope to have similar results, that he learns to rely upon other teammates and utilize his skill sets more, that is, shoot the puck.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Daniel is still the 3rd best forward on this team at worst. He may have slowed down a hair since the concussion but I'm not totally convinced that's the case. The twins are 33 but they can still be effective. the biggest problem this team has is the twins and Kesler can no longer carry the team for extended periods. All three are good players but the fact Burrows or Higgins is the team's 4th best forward is disturbing to say the least.

Kassian was supposed to add some scoring depth and so was Booth and both have been fairly poor especially Booth. Burrows has played horrible when healthy and Higgins is a great 7th man on a good day.

Something tells me if the team had better # 4 and #5 forwards the twins and Kesler's numbers would be much better. This summer will be the time to give the team a bit of a makeover. If the team signs Santorelli to an extension then at least 2 of Higgins/Hansen /Booth/Burrows need to go. Way too many tweeners , though Booth is almost like a 4th/5th line tweener atm.

I still think Danny's got some gas in the tank.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Something tells me if the team had better # 4 and #5 forwards the twins and Kesler's numbers would be much better. This summer will be the time to give the team a bit of a makeover. If the team signs Santorelli to an extension then at least 2 of Higgins/Hansen /Booth/Burrows need to go. Way too many tweeners , though Booth is almost like a 4th/5th line tweener atm.

I still think Danny's got some gas in the tank.
Bingo. Patrick Sharp leads the Blackhawks in goals. Hossa has more goals than Toews. This team just doesn't have the horses if everyone isn't playing up to potential. Edler not being healthy and having a bad year, Burrows having a terrible season... we don't have the players to cover for their failures. Burrows putting up Archibald-level production and Edler being a team-worst -13 just isn't going to get it done for us. While we may be a playoff team relying on Sedin-Sedin-Kesler-Luongo, we don't have the luxury of letting our better players have off years if we want to be an "elite" team.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Hockey Widow wrote:Hank has had to play stretches without Dank and as a centre and play maker can still be a set up guy. He has handled himself will without Dank to the point where he had a career hi goals.

This is the first time Dank will have to play without his brother. I hope to have similar results, that he learns to rely upon other teammates and utilize his skill sets more, that is, shoot the puck.
It'll be interesting to see. Daniel will still be the best puck distributor on his line no matter who they put him with so he could be excused for trying to set his linemates up; that being said he's obviously not going to be able to make hay with the give-and-gos in the corner with his brother so he'll need to think about how to adapt his game to a different means of generating offense.

I hope he's able to do that and if he is I hope he's able to carry that over when Henrik returns and have a better variety of tools that he actually uses in the offensive zone.

That said, unless they load up a first line with him and Kesler, we aren't exactly primed to give Daniel adequate linemates right now.

Try to decide on the top six for the next game based on who's healthy and producing with now..

Daniel 4 points in January
Kesler 4 points in January
Higgins 4 points in January
Kassian 4 points in January

Those are the team leaders I think.

Add Burrows because he's got to score at some point and I guess Jordan Schroeder if he's healthy? Apparently he practiced..
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hank's proven himself to be a capable player with or without Dank. I am comfortable in saying that his passing ability is consistently top 5 in this league and the only thing that stops Hank from being a top 5 player is his weight/strength.

Dank on the other hand has failed miserably in his role as a "sniper" with Hank on the shelf. A big "F" for Dank and as far as I know he is not injured. He looks lost out there and Sully has relegated him to the 2nd line.

I love what the Sedins have done for us. But I wish all of this had happened last year before the Sedins were given their current contract as opposed to this year because Dank is NOT worth 7M. Hank yes, Dank absolutely no.

Without someone to play give and go with, Dank is as useless as tits on a bull. Everyone saw in the Boston series the key to nullifying the Sedins is to put the body on them. Well, that fact hasn't changed and in fact, it's been exacerbated. Dank loses the puck over and over again because he gets angled off into the boards and he doesn't have Hank to pass the puck to. Dank has turned into MayRay without the speed. :(

So, it appears that we now have a 7M player on our team that can ONLY be successful if playing with this brother.

Am I being a negative nancy or is this an accurate portrayal of reality?
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

^ Mathonwy, I think you’re being a bit hard on Daniel, but the bottom line is that Hank is a better player than Daniel – probably by two million dollars a year at this point. But, they’re twins who have always been paid the same amount. Like I said in the Phoenix GDT, if we had to overpay a bit on Daniel to keep Henrik around, I am OK with that.

With the cap going up, the team can afford both so I don’t see their contracts as a hindrance. The challenge is getting that help we all keep talking about.

In the past three games since Hank went down, Daniel has still been a positive Corsi player playing with inferior line mates and against the same quality of competition. Daniel hasn’t been “tits on a bull”, so to speak, but he really needs to work on getting his shot off.

The whole team, especially Burrows and Daniel, should be doing some serious shooing practice.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

herb wrote: The whole team, especially Burrows and Daniel, should be doing some serious shooing practice.
Flies in the sugar bowl? :?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

herb wrote: The whole team, especially Burrows and Daniel, should be doing some serious shooing practice.
I think we've all been saying that for the last 3 seasons.....along with "LIFT THE FUCKING PUCK!"
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mëds wrote:I think we've all been saying that for the last 3 seasons.....along with "LIFT THE FUCKING PUCK!"
Yeah, last night again Daniel got himself into a good shooting position only to hit a nearly horizontal defender in the shin pad.

We’ve know the guy can pick corners…not sure what the issue is.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

herb wrote:
Mëds wrote:I think we've all been saying that for the last 3 seasons.....along with "LIFT THE FUCKING PUCK!"
Yeah, last night again Daniel got himself into a good shooting position only to hit a nearly horizontal defender in the shin pad.

We’ve know the guy can pick corners…not sure what the issue is.
The issue is the exhausted mantra of put pucks to the net and things happen.

It's like the first real slump they hit after 2011, AV just told them to put pucks on net and good things will happen, and after 10 games when finally a couple of bounces went their way, they were sold. But they never built off of that, so now they just think put it to the net and hope for a rebound. Problem is, there needs to be someone there for the rebound.

The other issue I have with Daniel's shooting right now is the lack of a wrist shot. Everything is a telegraphed half-slapper.