What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck team?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What is happening to the team right now?

Slump.
34%
Downward slope.
25%
Flu.
2%
Injuries.
13%
Fatigue.
11%
Other.
5%
Nothing fool! Now shut your yap.
11%

Total votes: 64

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Spot on Lancer

Problem being, not so sure Gillis possesses the common sense as to where this team is at, I get the impression he thinks more of this group than he really should. This core is tapped out. Gillis has failed to surround this core with more good young core types. Making like Skyo and trading for a Vanek reminds me if a deal we would make in the miserable Messier, Mogilny, Bure years. Getting worn down vets is not the route to take, getting good young talent who can play now but are the future core faces of this team as the Sedin era comes to an end,

All the good western conference teams core players are young, young and young. We are old in that department. Wasting futures on worn down 30 year old cheque collecting vets is a big waste of fucking time and money,

Just not sure our current GM knows where this team is at and therefore the potential for Vanek damaging trade is there. I see more Roy/Pahlsson/Booth/Ballard trades out of Gillis yet
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote:Spot on Lancer
(Still picking myself off the ground)

Dude, you can't just creep up and do that to me like that! What is this, the forum version of the knock-out game? :eh:
RoyalDude wrote:Problem being, not so sure Gillis possesses the common sense as to where this team is at, I get the impression he thinks more of this group than he really should. This core is tapped out. Gillis has failed to surround this core with more good young core types. Making like Skyo and trading for a Vanek reminds me if a deal we would make in the miserable Messier, Mogilny, Bure years. Getting worn down vets is not the route to take, getting good young talent who can play now but are the future core faces of this team as the Sedin era comes to an end,

All the good western conference teams core players are young, young and young. We are old in that department. Wasting futures on worn down 30 year old cheque collecting vets is a big waste of fucking time and money,

Just not sure our current GM knows where this team is at and therefore the potential for Vanek damaging trade is there. I see more Roy/Pahlsson/Booth/Ballard trades out of Gillis yet.
I think if Gillis were to do a trade like that, he likely would have by now. Similar deals have already gone down this season. Not saying it's impossible - the trade deadline is still a ways away - but I get the sense that Gillis knows the kind of trade he needs to do but can't swallow the prices in front of him. That's the problem I see with him is he's not willing to do a trade which might make him seem like he's been put over the barrel. I think some teams are playing hardball with him like they have since Luongo was put on the market and he's not willing to budge. I get that, but it doesn't make the roster any better in the meantime.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Arachnid wrote:
SKYO wrote:circle the wagons --> throwing firewater --> vancouver riots.
Careful SYKO or Tops will give you one of his imported diseases :D
Sadly, diphtheria blankets, while a great idea,in theory, in practice,they do not work.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Careful SYKO or Tops will give you one of his imported diseases :D
Sadly, diphtheria blankets, while a great idea,in theory, in practice,they do not work.
Yup, nice try.

---

Besides vanek :D
Edler for Nyquist + Smith makes the most sense...

Nyquist is a LW/C, center being key here as he can step in 2nd line center when injuries occur and he can center our crappy 2nd unit powerplay.

We get a work-in-progress Smith, at least he can play right side and has offensive upside, and we don't lose defensive depth. We can just hope he plays well with Garrison.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lancer wrote: Forget wasting cap space on 30+ UFAs and soon-to-be UFAs like Vanek, etc.
Why, cause he's one of the best LW'ers in the world?
The team has enough 30-somethings on roster
This team is middle aged, vanek could be like our own more talented version of hossa.
what's available isn't going to help the team get through the likes of what's ahead of them in the western conference.
What's available is Moulson, Vanek, Camm, they are added weapons to use to our solid core that needs new arsenal.
Time for Gillis to bite the bullet, make a deal for a top-6 sniper/power forward in their 20s and pay what he must without utterly wrecking the roster.

It will take cajoling some out of their NTCs and adopting some significant risk, but that's where this team needs to go to vie for the Cup not just in the short term but the middle term as well.
Vanek/Moulson satisfies the short and mid-long term, exactly what the Sedins/Kesler need to succeed.

But agreed with this part, Edler is the man to trade to get that top 6 sniper in their 20s.

And yes I'm sick of this Vanek talk now, lol. 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'd be waiving Booth right now. If we are lucky someone picks him up. If not we free up $900,000 in cap and a roster spot.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote:I'd be waiving Booth right now. If we are lucky someone picks him up. If not we free up $900,000 in cap and a roster spot.

No one will pick him up. Traditional buyout at the end of the year. Pay him half his remaining 4.25 and its a 1.125 mill cap hit for two seasons. Then compliance buyout Burrows if he doesn't regain form. That gives the club 7.65 million in cap space just from those two moves. Hopefully Luo continues his solid play of late and a team dangles a prospect/pick for him and they have piles of cash to play with on July 1st.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I'd be waiving Booth right now. If we are lucky someone picks him up. If not we free up $900,000 in cap and a roster spot.

No one will pick him up. Traditional buyout at the end of the year. Pay him half his remaining 4.25 and its a 1.125 mill cap hit for two seasons. Then compliance buyout Burrows if he doesn't regain form. That gives the club 7.65 million in cap space just from those two moves. Hopefully Luo continues his solid play of late and a team dangles a prospect/pick for him and they have piles of cash to play with on July 1st.
That or trade him for Erat, I know people hate that ideal and hate Erat's style of play plus fear of how he would do under Torts, but it's a real low risk transaction, the worst thing that could happen is he still plays like crap and we just simply buy him out at the end of the season, but that's the exact same thing the team is going to do regarding Booth.

It's a no harm, no foul type of deal, plus isn't compliance buying out Erat cheaper than Booth for the Aquabros? cause his actual salary is much lower this season and next.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mondi wrote:My point, is that the Canucks have two forwards out of the lineup and the GM has put them in a position where they scratch a third player (Booth) and dress a defensemen at forward.

In my respectful opinion, the fault there lies with Mike Gillis.
Booth is a difficult situation. Last offseason he couldn't be bought out due to his injury so you're talking about a team already trying to get younger spending draft picks just to dump him on another team for one season. (Personally I'm glad they didn't do that.) The shortened season he was injured most of the year so you couldn't move him then. Prior to that was the lockout taking us back to September 2012 which is about a year after the Canucks acquired him, in that year he'd been hurt once but had also strung a lot of games together with strong play and respectable scoring, I don't think it was at all cut-and-dried that he needed to be dumped at any cost at that point.
And, it is fucking embarrassing for the team.
Really? I mean it's a shitty situation, but embarrassing? Do you think the players are ducking out of the locker room early because they can't look people in the eye over a useless player on their roster? They somehow managed to do it with Keith Ballard for three years so I don't see why this would be very different.
Also, they scored 8 goals in a seven game span. That's my point.
Yeah uhh, it's a tough stretch. They are a worse team this year AND they have two top six forwards out of the lineup AND they have been slumping pretty bad. It's a recipe for disaster on the ice. Two of those three things can happen to any team any season regardless of the quality GM-ing they are getting, but you know.
(Also the Hlavac reference was a comparison of useless European forwards).
Oh so you wanted to look stupid. Gotcha. ;)
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Booth will have to be a buyout for the simple fact that no one will want him at that price. We healthy scratch him all the time which doesn't help trade value.

He will then do a Ballard and sign for 1.5 somewhere...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

He'll have to stay healthy to be a buy out.

At this point and the way this season is going, unless they want to "showcase" him and try to build him up to be good enough to deal for Martin Erat or some other headache, I would prefer they just shut him down and wait for their CBO shot.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mondi wrote:Heck, I think Gillis did a decent job the first bit here. I'm not even all over him (like others), what bothers me is how quickly the Canucks went from juggernaut to average.
Not to nitpick too much, but this team is still an above average team if you look at the standings. 10th overall in the NHL is close to what most expected coming into this season.

I think Gillis has done a good job overall. He put together some fantastic teams and we have had an entertaining product for several years now.

That being said, using hindsight I think Gillis has had four main areas of failure:
1. Drafting has been mediocre at best under Gillis. Hodgson was a good pick. The jury is still out on Schroeder, but obviously he hasn’t been a NHL regular up to this point. Corrado was obviously a good find, but Jensen clearly has a lot of question marks. Connauton and Cannata were decent picks. Obviously it’s too early to make any conclusions on the 2012 or 2013 draft classes, but things are looking up for sure.

2. The Ballard trade was awful. Gillis lost that trade in a landslide. The team as had trouble scoring and having Grabner would not have hurt in that department. The 2010 draft wasn’t a great one, but having Howden or better yet Etem as a prospect would have been better than the Ballard experience.

3. Not resigning/replacing Ehrhoff. Gillis didn’t want to disrupt the salary framework of his defence, but the PP has been awful since Ehrhoff left and I doubt that’s a coincidence. The right side has been an on again off again problem ever since, and Edler hasn’t put up points at the same level.

4. The Luongo saga. I don’t think the end result was necessarily a bad thing, but Gillis let the goaltending situation turn into a saga and the organization looked pretty Mickey Mouse when they ended up trading Schneider after all that.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

herb wrote:
Mondi wrote: I think Gillis has done a good job overall. He put together some fantastic teams and we have had an entertaining product for several years now.
Hey Herb...gotta disagree with you here. Overall a lousy job by Gillis.

Gillis inherited the team that went to the finals, except for Erhoff and Hamhuis. He has failed to add to the core that was already here....the aging core is past their prime and there doesn't seem to be any young guns to step in. Trades and drafting has been lousy. Contracts? Some good "home town deals" but just as many stinkers. The Luongo contract was nuts as was the huge offer to Sundin. I pray that we're not saying the same thing about the Burrows and Sedin new deals in a year or two. Credit for finding Tanev and Higgins but hard to find much else to be positive about.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Zedlee wrote:Hey Herb...gotta disagree with you here. Overall a lousy job by Gillis.

Gillis inherited the team that went to the finals, except for Erhoff and Hamhuis. He has failed to add to the core that was already here....the aging core is past their prime and there doesn't seem to be any young guns to step in. Trades and drafting has been lousy. Contracts? Some good "home town deals" but just as many stinkers. The Luongo contract was nuts as was the huge offer to Sundin. I pray that we're not saying the same thing about the Burrows and Sedin new deals in a year or two. Credit for finding Tanev and Higgins but hard to find much else to be positive about.
I don’t buy this notion that Gillis “inherited” the team in 2008 and had nothing to do with it being successful. I don’t think that’s fair at all. Was he supposed to blow up the whole thing and make it “his” team? Now that would’ve been stupid.

When he came here he instilled a culture of winning. He added some key pieces to the team via trade and free agency, and re-signed our core guys to fantastic deals (Sedins, Kesler, our defense, his original Burrows deal was great, etc.). Hamhuis, Ehrhoff, Samuelsson, Sundin, Demitra, Torres, Higgins and Garrison have all been key pick-ups.

But by all means, please cling to the notion that Gillis & Co. “inherited” the organization and had no role in its successes and is only responsible for its failures.

The “young guns” everybody wants to see are coming. Four excellent junior players are our property. We’ll see how they fare starting next fall.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Mondi wrote: Don't be a prick. I said Prospal would have been about as useful as Hlavac was, whether that was accurate can never be known. But, it is my opinion and it is certainly not stupid to assert that a 38-year-old player who has not been playing any games this season might be useless. Remember Mats after all?
HEY!

Don't knock Mats. If you can't be satisfied with $10M (pro-rated) to mentor and develop Kesler, then you have to give him his due for scoring the winning goal against the leaves in the SO. :lol: