What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck team?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What is happening to the team right now?

Slump.
34%
Downward slope.
25%
Flu.
2%
Injuries.
13%
Fatigue.
11%
Other.
5%
Nothing fool! Now shut your yap.
11%

Total votes: 64

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote: So whats your plan, wait for Gillis to trade for Kane? lol
I don't think Vanek is the kind of guy Torts is after, and I don't think the Canucks can offer him the most money in UFA. I don't want to get into a bidding war for a guy who hasn't won shit and has his heart/dedication questioned. He was willing to go to Edmonton for 7 years. The guy wants to get rich, I don't think he gives a fuck about a Cup. Further, I question his ability to score that many goals in the West...

Buying out Booth gives us $14M to sign 8 players next season. We have to sign guys like Kassian, Tanev, Weise and Schroeder (if we want). Kassian and Tanev will get raises. The money just isn't there to give Vanek huge $$$. I can see Gillis shooting for the Michalek's, Callahan's, Bollands, and Cammalleri's of the league. Someone in the $5M range.

Another option is looking at the RFA route. Ryan Johansen, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider etc. are going to be RFA's this summer. So is Chris Tanev. Obviously Tanev alone isn't going to land any of them, but with the Stanton Surprise and hopefully Corrado's development, can we move Tanev+ for a forward?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I know it's frustrating to watch the canuck offence dry right up the last couple weeks, but Burr has been one of our best players the last few years.

That being said, I don't think Burr should be on the top line right now.
I think the coaches should just let him do what he does best, play his pesky 2-way checking game on the 2nd or 3rd lines and some PK. If he pops in a few goals and gets his confidence back, then maybe give him some time on the 1st line again.
Yup, as for Burr till he gets his scoring touch back he should be on our 2nd or 3rd line, he's one of the best PKers in the league. And when he does get going he's pretty decent with the Sedins.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote: So whats your plan, wait for Gillis to trade for Kane? lol
I don't think Vanek is the kind of guy Torts is after, and I don't think the Canucks can offer him the most money in UFA. I don't want to get into a bidding war for a guy who hasn't won shit and has his heart/dedication questioned. He was willing to go to Edmonton for 7 years. The guy wants to get rich, I don't think he gives a fuck about a Cup. Further, I question his ability to score that many goals in the West...

Buying out Booth gives us $14M to sign 8 players next season. We have to sign guys like Kassian, Tanev, Weise and Schroeder (if we want). Kassian and Tanev will get raises. The money just isn't there to give Vanek huge $$$. I can see Gillis shooting for the Michalek's, Callahan's, Bollands, and Cammalleri's of the league. Someone in the $5M range.

Another option is looking at the RFA route. Ryan Johansen, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider etc. are going to be RFA's this summer. So is Chris Tanev. Obviously Tanev alone isn't going to land any of them, but with the Stanton Surprise and hopefully Corrado's development, can we move Tanev+ for a forward?
Torts has a minor say on the matter, but this is Gillis' ship to steer.

As for Vanek being all about the money, bullshit, he turned down a huge offer from Buffalo - he could have became richer than Ovechkin, however he wants to win now and not go through a painful rebuild. http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/201 ... abres.html
Thomas Vanek could have been paid handsomely to stay in Buffalo. A source, in fact, says the Sabres were willing to make him the highest-paid player in the NHL.

He'd rather win than take part in a rebuild, which has been his message since last season.

"I enjoyed my time there, but I didn’t want to be a part of that," Vanek told reporters in New York today following his first practice with the Islanders. "We traded pretty much every veteran. The message was clear that they’re going for draft picks. I think our last game we played four teenagers. Good, young players, but young players take time."

Vanek is 29, not old by any stretch but not young, either. He watched Mike Grier inconsolably weep following his last NHL game, and Vanek would like to do what Grier didn't -- win the Stanley Cup.

"“You train all summer long, practice every day, and you want to be on a competitive team that has a chance," Vanek said. "Right now we struggled there. It’s hard to leave when you do struggle. I was one of the leaders, but at the same time the reality is it’s business and I’m happy to be an Islander.”
Kass will get a bridge contract, Tanev will get $3-3.5M per. Weise is being shopped around lol. Schroeder the team should just let the guy go already or trade for a similar player albeit more industrious type.

Michalek/Callahan I hope not, they are injury prone, we got enough of that already on this team.

Bolland will get overpaid for being a 2nd/3rd line center.

Cammy is interesting tho' even though he sucks defensively, he's another mini mouse just older.

This is why this offseason is crucial for Mike Gillis future with the team, he's about 50/50 on trades thus far, and his team has steadily declined after the cup run, enough relying on the back to back prez trophies, can only use that for so long.

He needs to win this dman trade and another trade to shore up our horrendous dried up offense.
Last edited by SKYO on Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Bring back Harold Druken and Josh Holden!
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote: Torts has a minor say on the matter, but this is Gillis' ship to steer.
Yep. And he has been building a team that can grind and muck with the best. That why all the interest in Kane. That's why he dealt Hodgson. He's trying to build Bruins West. Might be wise, might be foolish, but that's what he's doing. Also, if Vanek DID turn down that huge offer from Buffalo, what kind of offer is he going to get in the summer? The max anyone (but the Islanders) can offer is 7 years. If you buy that the Sabres were going to make him the highest paid player in the league, that means he could be looking at contracts worth $9M/year. Vanek isn't worth that, and we're not close enough to being an "elite" team that he'd consider a discount offer for. Forget him. He doesn't fit our new style, and we don't fit his desired location or salary demands. Not a good fit.
This is why this offseason is crucial for Mike Gillis future with the team, he's about 50/50 on trades thus far, and his team has steadily declined after the cup run, enough relying on the back to back prez trophies, can only use that for so long.

He needs to win this dman trade and another trade to shore up our horrendous dried up offense.
Yep. This offseason and next year is the one the Canucks have been internally building for, imo. Lower cap, no Booth buyout in the spring, no Luongo trade etc. Just a bad couple years for the franchise logistically. Hopefully we can buy out Booth in the summer, and with the cap going up we have some money to play with. Not a lot, but the difference between the have's and have-not's will increase... and this team is a HAVE team.

Ideally, he adds a bonafide top-6 guy. A Canucks-own version of Michael Ryder. Might not be visible one night, and dominate a game the next. Can be dominant, but lacks the 82-game consistency to make the big bucks...

2014-15
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-ourRyder
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen
Sestito-Richardson-Weise

Jensen-Gaunce-Shinkaruk
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hockey Widow wrote:Bring back Harold Druken and Josh Holden!
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Topper wrote:Prospal the mentor and 3rd line shutdown centre.
You JINXED us mofo.

We could have had a mentor!!

Forget it...
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote: Torts has a minor say on the matter, but this is Gillis' ship to steer.
Yep. And he has been building a team that can grind and muck with the best. That why all the interest in Kane. That's why he dealt Hodgson. He's trying to build Bruins West. Might be wise, might be foolish, but that's what he's doing.

Vanek isn't worth that, and we're not close enough to being an "elite" team that he'd consider a discount offer for. Forget him. He doesn't fit our new style, and we don't fit his desired location or salary demands. Not a good fit.
Hope we see Vanek lift the cup here in Vancouver as a Canuck and say this is for you IslandNucklehead! 8-)

Yep. This offseason and next year is the one the Canucks have been internally building for, imo. Lower cap, no Booth buyout in the spring, no Luongo trade etc. Just a bad couple years for the franchise logistically.

2014-15
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-ourRyder
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen
Sestito-Richardson-Weise

Jensen-Gaunce-Shinkaruk
Be interesting to see if Horvat can make the team as a permanent 3rd line center, he might have to play wing if MG gets someone like Ott or Goc who are 'all star' 3rd line centers.

Gaunce is the perfect 3rd line center, but he'll have play at least a year in the AHL to sound his defensive game further.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Skyo-->Vanek-->Van-->Wagon-->Wagon Burner
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

circle the wagons --> throwing firewater --> vancouver riots.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote: Hope we see Vanek lift the cup here in Vancouver as a Canuck and say this is for you IslandNucklehead! 8-)
Bud, if this happens I will offer up my fiance for Vanek BJ's.

Be interesting to see if Horvat can make the team as a permanent 3rd line center, he might have to play wing if MG gets someone like Ott or Goc who are 'all star' 3rd line centers.

Gaunce is the perfect 3rd line center, but he'll have play at least a year in the AHL to sound his defensive game further.
Yes I think Gaunce is going to the minors for sure. Horvat is close to NHL-ready. He won't put up a lot of points, but he's great in the circle, smart on the 2-way game, and knows where to be at all times. He's a great first rounder for us in that he can work his way up the roster as he gains experience. I expect Horvat to play in Vancouver next season.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Ideally, he adds a bonafide top-6 guy. A Canucks-own version of Michael Ryder. Might not be visible one night, and dominate a game the next. Can be dominant, but lacks the 82-game consistency to make the big bucks...
There's talk about about Mike Camalari. He kind of fits the Ryder mold: skilled guy, can score and has been a big time player in the playoffs. The only problem is he's a bit small to my liking though.

SKYO wrote:Be interesting to see if Horvat can make the team as a permanent 3rd line center, he might have to play wing if MG gets someone like Ott or Goc who are 'all star' 3rd line centers.

I am usually the type of guy who likes to see young guys get some time in the farm/utica before we bring them into the NHL. Right now, I'm almost tempted to say just bite the bullet and work in some of our top prospects into the NHL roster next year (ie- Gaunce, Shinkaruk, BoHo, whatever). They don't even have to have a great training camp, baptism by fire, sink or swim. It's not like our current roster is really getting it done anyways. Even though our youngs guys will make mistakes, we'll just live with their mistakes and hopefully it'll turn them into NHL players faster. Also, maybe their young legs and enthusiasm can give some of our aging veterans a much needed boost, so we can find a way to win some of those tight games that we have been on the wrong side of lately.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Bersnoozi is right, bring in 2 - 3 prospects next season but if you can bring 1 or 2 now.

They cannot be any worse than what we are seeing out there now.

Being saying this for eons, you have to always have a good prospect or 2 coming along and being given a real chance on the team to learn to play the game at the NHL level.

The last thing is a trade with 1 of the top 4 d men is badly needed, way too much comfort out there and it shows.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

SKYO wrote:circle the wagons --> throwing firewater --> vancouver riots.
Careful SYKO or Tops will give you one of his imported diseases :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Don't know if it's a matter of comfort, but a matter of dealing from what position of strength Gillis has at hand.

The only areas of which the team has a plethora of assets are D, and bottom-six wingers. Throw in some prospects and either 1st or mid-round picks, and that's what Gillis has to deal.

Forget wasting cap space on 30+ UFAs and soon-to-be UFAs like Vanek, etc. The team has enough 30-somethings on roster and what's available isn't going to help the team get through the likes of what's ahead of them in the western conference. Time for Gillis to bite the bullet, make a deal for a top-6 sniper/power forward in their 20s and pay what he must without utterly wrecking the roster. It will take cajoling some out of their NTCs and adopting some significant risk, but that's where this team needs to go to vie for the Cup not just in the short term but the middle term as well.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.