Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by mathonwy »

Boston Canucker wrote:I saw that Mikael Samuelson is on waivers. He's got a 3 mill contract, over 35, and has scored 1 goal, so of course the answer is no, fuck no, but when I first saw the name I thought, hmm, maybe at first. Times are tough. I say, give the kids more of a go, Schroeder and Jensen. they'll make mistakes, of course, but especially w/Jensen, let's start to see what he's got...find the answer within the org
Sammy is getting squeezed out by Detroit's plethora of young prospects. Vancouver on the other hand doesn't have the same "problem" so as long as there is no cap issues, I don't see any downside to picking him up.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

mathonwy wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote:I saw that Mikael Samuelson is on waivers. He's got a 3 mill contract, over 35, and has scored 1 goal, so of course the answer is no, fuck no, but when I first saw the name I thought, hmm, maybe at first. Times are tough. I say, give the kids more of a go, Schroeder and Jensen. they'll make mistakes, of course, but especially w/Jensen, let's start to see what he's got...find the answer within the org
Sammy is getting squeezed out by Detroit's plethora of young prospects. Vancouver on the other hand doesn't have the same "problem" so as long as there is no cap issues, I don't see any downside to picking him up.
More goals than Burrows :roll:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Malhotra now has more goals than David Booth and Alex Burrows ($8.75M in cap space right tharr) and Vancouver is currently playing with only two NHL caliber centers.

Funny, I guess...

This is Samuelsson's last year on that contract...I'd be tempted to take a flyer on him. I have no idea if his shot is still any good, but if he sucks you can always put him back on waivers.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I would ride the storm out with our young guys too BC. But what about..too much too fast philosophy?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

herb wrote: This is Samuelsson's last year on that contract...I'd be tempted to take a flyer on him. I have no idea if his shot is still any good, but if he sucks you can always put him back on waivers.
The risk, of course, being that if nobody take him you're stuck with $2.1M on the cap when you send him to the minors.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

mathonwy wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote:
Well Mikael would have no worries of getting squeezed out here as there are no threats of good young prospects here like in Detroit with the potential of squeezing him out. Certainly not a plethora
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I have a wonderful idea!

One that would save alot of heartache, bickering and well just retain some piece of mind.

LETS ALL CHEER FOR ANAHEIM until such time as the Canucks get back to elite status and are again worthy of our consideration.

What say you?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

It can't get much worse, can it? It's not foreseeably possible for them to score fewer goals by putting Jensen and Schroeder into the lineup. I mean, FFS you have Dalpe and Richardson as your other two candidates for 2nd line C so how could you get less offense out of Schroeder?

The team still has a good chance of making the playoffs, and the revenue that comes with it, but you have to start thinking about next season and getting a head start on some of these kids who could be vying for a spot.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

mathonwy wrote:
It's the cap hit/salary, he's untouchable. If he was at min salary or a PTO, maybe, but not for 3 million for over 35 player...can't do that
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

rats19 wrote: I would ride the storm out with our young guys too BC. But what about..too much too fast philosophy?
I don't think you throw them into the deep end and say the team is relying on you to save the day etc (that is, I wouldn't be the Oilers management who I wouldn't let take care of a kitten for a weekend!), but at this point, with the goal production so terrible the downside would be poorer defensive zone play likely but if the upside is one or two kids quicker on the shot that can get some more offensivce buzz goingand shake things up a bit, why not? If they struggle, especially Jensen, he can go back down, that's fine. He's probably a year or two away from regular starter anyway. I think Schroeder is the interesting cat here. He's got skillz, made some sweet passes playing last year, and could get some ice time now with injuries...Jensen you have to be careful about too fast too soon, but Schroeder, I say let him see if he can do it...hell, Dalpe is playing with D Sedin apparently next game, what's to lose?
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Based on the one single game that I saw last night between the Comets and Heat, I'm not hopeful for Jensen and Schroeder.

Jensen was given 3rd line minutes and Schroeder didn't make anything happen, was soft on the puck and kept on shooting the puck into the Heat defensemen's feet. Unfortunately the AHL doesn't keep track of ATOI and shots so no concrete stats.

A sample size of 1 game.. so take it for whats it worth.

I would say that we have a better chance with the guys we currently have versus doing anything with Jensen and Schroeder.

Suave might be interesting to bring up as a 3rd D pairing and a PPQB on the 2nd PP group.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It isn't out of the realm of possibilities to call up a player or two who are marked as future potential starters and let them finish the season with the big club. The experience could be very valuable.

MG does this when he is trying to justify a trade. Kept Kassian, who was really Gassian when he joined us. Kept that D'man that came with him, MAG, and he got a lot of playing time. Dalpe is getting a ton of playing time. Now that JS is almost back with the club I hope he gets a real shot although it may take a few games for him to get into game shape. If nothing else I hope the Canucks "show case" him like they did Hodgson :mrgreen:

I'm all for bringing up a forward or two to play them in the top six. We have enough players to play the bottom six who are not producing in the top six. Can it get any worse? If nothing else it will make our bottom six harder to play against which might be a good thing.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... e16449457/

Clarification on the terms of Torts suspension. Love to get feedback from Cowpuke since it really isn't a 15 day ban at all :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hockey Widow wrote: I'm all for bringing up a forward or two to play them in the top six.
The problem is, the most productive player on the farm is Hairy Feiry, and he's not going to make an impact. Jensen is miles away from earning a recall.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Speaking of Detroits continued insaneness at constantly finding gems in the draft wasn't it Mëds who said Tatar would never see daylight in the NHL in response to me marvelling at Detroits amazing drafting and developing? LOL
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau