Sedins sign 4-year extensions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Sedins sign 4-year extensions

Post by sagebrush »

After Mike Gillis paid up, John Tortorella blew up.

From the centre of the media universe. :roll:
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

sagebrush wrote:After Mike Gillis paid up, John Tortorella blew up.

""Don't worry," Clark said. "I'll take care of this."

During the next faceoff, Clark and Bure were lined up across from each other. That's when Clark offered Bure some advice.

"Tell your buddy Odjick to quit roughing up Gilmour or I will inflict pain on you for the rest of the game," Clark told Bure.

To hear Clark and Gilmour tell the story all these years later, the tactic worked. Odjick backed off and the leaves ended up winning.

Maybe David Clarkson, who grew up idolizing Clark, will pull off the same schtick on the Sedins Saturday night."

Barf!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

rockalt wrote:
sagebrush wrote:After Mike Gillis paid up, John Tortorella blew up.

""Don't worry," Clark said. "I'll take care of this."

During the next faceoff, Clark and Bure were lined up across from each other. That's when Clark offered Bure some advice.

"Tell your buddy Odjick to quit roughing up Gilmour or I will inflict pain on you for the rest of the game," Clark told Bure.

To hear Clark and Gilmour tell the story all these years later, the tactic worked. Odjick backed off and the leaves ended up winning.

Maybe David Clarkson, who grew up idolizing Clark, will pull off the same schtick on the Sedins Saturday night."

Barf!
Hmmm one wonders what kind of Bure intimidation yarns Shane Churla would spin. :wink:

"What was the best way to stop the Russian Rocket?" :lol:

Also...

"The tactic worked and the leaves ended up winning."??

Umm Leaves' Clark + Gilmour lost in 5 games to Canucks' Bure + Odjick in the 3rd round of the '94 playoffs!

So much for that tactic! :mex:

Doesn't work on the Sedins either.

Although I wish they had an Odjick.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Although I wish they had an Odjick.
Oh that would be so, so lovely.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

THIS GUY:
http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8468778

There's your Gino Odjick.

Now who wants to play, "Deal or No Deal?!"
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

The question for Canucks management was simple: is this a team that needs a complete retool or is it a team that can compete in the next few seasons with the existing core and the anticipated additions from the system. The answer was the latter -- possibly in part because so much of the "core" is signed with no trade clauses (so what choice is there?), but mostly because across the NHL, this remains a top 10 team. Not one of the two or three best, like a couple years ago, but in the next tier. They aren't going to the cup finals with the walking wounded like a few years back, but they can get there if they stay healthy, get a hot run by Luongo, and have the opposite happen to the conference elites (this year, I think Chicago and San Jose (maybe St. Louis will creep into this group)) -- namely, they get the injury bug or the goalie that can't make the big save.

More than that, this team is way too far away (in terms of system attributes) to think that blowing up the core and rebuilding from within and the draft (you can't build a team on the open market, only accent it) is going to work out. Nearly ever "bad" team tries to build from the bottom up; few succeed or at least can sustain long term success. Look at Edmonton, who despite drafting excellent players, isn't really that close. At any rate, if you think the Canucks have a lack of depth now, take away their 2 best forwards (or 2 of their 3 best, for those that think Kesler is on their level).

There is no question that at least one Sedin -- Henrik -- took a big pay cut to stay. Henrik could get $7.5 to $8 on the open market and probably would have had a suitor willing to give him 6 or 7 years. While there is always a gamble extending forwards past their age 35 season, Henrik's style of play, health, and unquestionable commitment to conditioning make him as good of bet as any forward. I don't think the market would have been as hot for Daniel, but it wouldn't suprise me if someone was willing to throw in an extra year or two, if not another 500K over the same term. One of the great things about the twins from the Canucks management perspective is that the "hometown discount" isn't negotiated based on what the best player would get on the open market, but on what the slightly less valuable player would get on the open market.

On a personal note, I am thrilled that the Sedins are remaining because they are really a treat to watch play. The goals Daniel scored in the last two games are so rare to see in this league. Two games ago being the result of one of those marathon possession shifts the Sedins seem to do more than any other line; the last game resulting from a completely unconventional set up that is evidence of their still evolving creativity. More than the exceptional goals, though, are the little things they do which are simply a joy to watch. Blind passes, cross-ice backhand saucers, stickhandling in a booth. They make it look so easy, but few have these skills to do this so successfully so regularly, fewer to make it look easy while doing it.

I am a Canuck fan by a strange circumstance, a story I told on the other CC once. I won't retell it, but it basically all started when my North Stars left Minnesota (or possibly, when the announcement was made that they weren't going to return the next season). I've been a fan of the Vancouver Cancuks ever since. I expect I always will be. But part of me wonders whether I'd be watching the Canucks or the Sedins on NHL Center Ice if they moved together to a new team. Glad I won't be finding out.

Congratulations, Henrik and Daniel.
Hono_rary Canadian
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Good value. I see no issues with these deals.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I wouldn't have have given the sedins this contract after the last 2 season and would have seriously considered letting them walk; however, the twins seems to have been rejuvenated under Torts and they're looking like 1st line scoring threats again. They probably won't win the scoring title again, but should put up better numbers than the last 2 seasons. I thought maybe around $6 mill/year would be more appropriate for them, but I guess what's $1 mill for your 2 franchise players who have been here for so long. One thing I'm glad about keeping them around is that they should hit the 1000 point mark now. Bure is our first hall of famer, Sedins will be our first 1000 point club members.

I think the Canucks are trying to follow San Jose's model, have a couple aging superstars around like Marleau/Thornton around and then add some great young players to help the core like Pavelski/Cotoure. In our case it's the Sedins/Kesler and hoping some guys like Shinkaruk, Boho, Kassian, Gaunce, Jensen will step in and play big roles with the club soooner than later.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Great news, particularly the term. Low-risk IMHO, as their game is predicated on playmaking and intelligence vice speed and strength - two things that degrade the most as a player ages.

I think this move is important for a number of reasons, but possibly then most important is that the Sedins will be able to mentor the new regime of the team by the time they hang up their sweaters in Vancouver. Kids like Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce and Jensen will be able to have a couple of years learning how to pros and leaders from these guys - just as they learned from Naslund and Linden.

You see so many young kids - Carter, Richards, Seguin, etc - with all the talent in the world who ultimately get traded because there's no mentorship in the room to mature them. At least next wave of stars for the team will have some positive role models from whom they can learn.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Looking at the Marleau / Thornton deal today and suddenly $7M isn't such a "steal".
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dhabums wrote:Looking at the Marleau / Thornton deal today and suddenly $7M isn't such a "steal".
Quite similar, no? Or is that $583,000 really going to screw us?

Pavelski
Burns
Couture
Hertl

vs.

Kesler
Burrows
Booth
Higgins

Pick one. I bet the Sedins numbers improve if they had a supporting cast.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Don't forget to include the previous contract where they took much less than they could have gotten and outperformed Thornton & Marleau.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Thornton and Marleau are in the same boat as the Sedin's both don't have Stanley Cup championships.

if any of them did, they'd be getting Getzlaf, Perry money, this is why the Sedin's need scoring help, they are really good, just not superstars.

Vanek please.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Lancer wrote:You see so many young kids - Carter, Richards, Seguin, etc - with all the talent in the world who ultimately get traded because there's no mentorship in the room to mature them. At least next wave of stars for the team will have some positive role models from whom they can learn.
I don't know about that. Carter and Richards had Chris Pronger around; although I don't think Richards and Pronger got along. I also heard Carter and Richards kind of liked drinking, Phillie mgmt didn't like it very much and wanted to change the culture of the dressing room a bit. Funny thing, Carter and Richards reallly came into their own once they got to L.A. and were big factors in their Stanley Cup team. Seguin had Big Z and Mark Recchi around, but I think he got kind of lost in the shuffle with Bergeron and Kracji taking alot of ice. I think sometimes players just need a change a scenery and/or an opportunity to show what they can do, just look @ guys we had in the past like Markus Naslund and Todd Bertuzzi.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Daniel Sedin with his 0.64PPG production since signing his long-term extension. But hey, we're screwed without these 50 point producers right?

4 more years!