Vancouver @ Edmonton 6:30 PM PT SNET-P,SNET-W

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Vancouver @ Edmonton 6:30 PM PT SNET-P,SNET-W

Post by herb »

RoyalDude wrote:
herb wrote:Burrows' struggles would be comical if it wasn't affecting the team so negatively!
With AV and Raymond gone is Burrows the new whipping boy?
I hope not. I actually like the biter as a player, and hope he turns things around as like I said his horrible drought is hurting the team big time.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:
rats19 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Try as he might Hall could not bleed. Cause as John Lennon said, only women bleed.

Of course he is OK and right back in. Talk about embellishment.
Alice cooper

Oh ya, Lennon said woman was the nigger of the world. Got them mixed up, sorry.
and yesterday was MLK Day.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I missed the first 25 minutes, but caught the final 35 and the highlights. A decent game, but I can't give them an A for effort in this one. Against any other team besides the Flames, Sabers, and Panthers, I think we are in tough to get the 2 points.

For a guy in just his second (but really first) NHL game, Lain looks promising. His defensive reads and positioning were solid and I didn't see him getting burned at all. Getting the opening goal is a huge bonus from a bottom 6 forward in his first NHL call-up. Projecting him as a 3rd line center might not be far wrong at all.

As has been said, Kassian continues to improve, and I'm really loving the Kemistry we are starting to see between him and Kesler. He was credited with a zero in the hit column tonight, so I hope that we aren't seeing a trend where we get either the physical crash and bang guy or the offensive contributing skill guy.....both on every night please. Good game though.

Luongo was lights out. That blocker save on Eberle was huge.....shades of the "glove from above" on Demitra in 2010.

I thought Weber had a good game and is starting to get a bit better on the point. He's small, but he gives it his all. Could be another guy that has flown under the radar thanks to AV and previous blueline depth.....

Daniel still needs to get his head screwed on straight. If he's not going to be out there as a the trigger man then he needs to move to the other side where the cross seam pass is coming off of his forehand.....not that he's really looking to make that pass in the first place. :bang:

I would like to see Kassian and Kesler together on the PP with maybe a guy like Lain in front of the net. Kassian seems to love looking to make plays, and Kesler is doing everything but scream at a Sedin for that pass in the slot or cross-seam for the one-timer.

I got the Oiler feed tonight.....apparently it was a battle for the NHL's best spot picker between Ference and Bieksa tonight. :lol:

Edler still inconsistent in his decision making and not my first choice on the point on the PP. He wasn't terrible though.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I've been saying this all season about Kassian. He's got all the skill to be top 6 on this team plus the size & toughness we desperately need there. What he needs is proper & patient, supportive coaching. He also needs to bring it every game & shut his yap a bit (esp w/ the refs). He needs to be put in a top 9 position and reg PP time. He can't be toiling on the 4th line to succeed. He sounds very eager & coachable.

Really like what we're seeing in Lain. Guy is going to be a player.

Hall looked like joke curled up in a ball then looking around for the refs. After the call he had a remarkable recovery. His team should be embarrassed. If Eakins is ok w/ that well that's why they'll miss the playoffs for am 8th straight season. A good example of why Team Canada passed on Hall's services.

I don't care if Burrows is struggling offensively, I see him getting better fast. He provides balance to whatever line he plays on & brings so much to the table. It will come.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Really happy for Kellan Lain, he gets into a fight in his first NHL game and is tossed from the game and now he scores a goal on his first NHL shot. :drink:

I really like the beef on our 4th line right now. Sestito (6'5, 228 lbs) - Lainer (6'6, 222 lbs) - Weiser (6'2, 210 lbs). :lol: We hurting on centre ice right now with Hank and Magic Mike out, but when they come back, I think Lain could still use more development time in Utica. It's a big step from college to the NHL. Depending how he does and potential matchups, maybe bring Lain back for the final playoff stretch.

I totally agree with what Valk said on SportsNet, Kassaissan "makes the most out of the least amount of ice time" of all the Canucks. I'm glad he's developing Kemistry with Kes (Mëds :lol:), but I still would luv to see Zack get some times with the Sedins. Maybe when Hank comes back healthy. :twisted:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

Remember, this is the Edmonton Oilers, there are awful and last night highlighted their problems.

Hall, Eberle and RNH are form and an explosive puck moving combo in the offensive zone, but god damn, do they suck donkey balls defensively.

All you folks who bitched and moaned about CoHo not getting enough ice time and have been whining about Kassian not playing with the Sedins or getting PP time take note. What you see in the Edmonton line up is exactly what you get rushing a young prospect into the offensive game without having them first pay their dues learning the defensive game from the third/fourth line up.

So what do you think of that LA defence now Ben Scrivens? Better work on that rebound control.

Ryan Kesler could show Taylor Hall a thing or two about embellishment.

Luongo won one for the team.

Missed the first period, but from the replay, Lain used size and reach to out hustle the defenders for his goal. Edmonton defenders mind you. Nice shot Dale Weiss for the big rebound up the middle.

A dollop of Dalpe is too much.

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Looks like Taylor Hall enters the dressing room like he enters the offensive zone, with his head down..

(He thought it said "Chopped with Wood? Cry Water"
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:A few comments;

Remember, this is the Edmonton Oilers, there are awful and last night highlighted their problems.

Hall, Eberle and RNH are form and an explosive puck moving combo in the offensive zone, but god damn, do they suck donkey balls defensively.

All you folks who bitched and moaned about CoHo not getting enough ice time and have been whining about Kassian not playing with the Sedins or getting PP time take note. What you see in the Edmonton line up is exactly what you get rushing a young prospect into the offensive game without having them first pay their dues learning the defensive game from the third/fourth line up.

So what do you think of that LA defence now Ben Scrivens? Better work on that rebound control.

Ryan Kesler could show Taylor Hall a thing or two about embellishment.

Luongo won one for the team.

Missed the first period, but from the replay, Lain used size and reach to out hustle the defenders for his goal. Edmonton defenders mind you. Nice shot Dale Weiss for the big rebound up the middle.

A dollop of Dalpe is too much.
Yeah, we have a 2 game win streak against the two worst teams in our division, that doesn't exactly inspire optimism....we are still a mess....the only cause for a positive outlook is that we are not far removed from December when we were the high flying team in the league but they clearly have a great deal of work to do.

Whether by design or a sign from the Hockey Gods™ Torts suspension (and meltdown) may be a blessing in disguise, as well as, Hank being out for a while. It will have to be team leadership and the values that JT has strived to install for the next 5 games...

LOWE MUST GO! :lol: I say keep him, keep him forever!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Not sure if anyone caught the Edmonton side of the post-game, but it was highly entertaining, and I felt bad for Eakins, the Edmonton press must be staffed by Bountiful's castoffs.

Basically most of the post-game revolved around whether or not Eakins was happy with the Oilers' physical game, and specifically if he felt something more needed to be done about Kassian. Eakins answered the questions pretty handily, and the media losers came off sounding like ass-hats. :lol:

It's worth a look if you have 2 minutes and want to laugh at the Oilers.

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter ... L|EDM|home
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Canucks didn’t play that great. Some good stretches of dominance in the first two periods, but overall they need to play a more complete game.

The good news from my perspective is that the following players are in the midst of scoring droughts in one way or another:

Daniel
Higgins
Hansen
Booth
Richardson
Edler
Garrison
Bieksa
Hamhuis
Tanev

This is good news because sooner or later most of these guys will break out, and then we should be able to start scoring 3+ goals a game again. Hopefully the defense and goaltending remain solid from here on out and some of these scoring funks get broken against Nashville on Thursday.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Mëds wrote:
I would like to see Kassian and Kesler together on the PP with maybe a guy like Lain in front of the net. Kassian seems to love looking to make plays, and Kesler is doing everything but scream at a Sedin for that pass in the slot or cross-seam for the one-timer.
This is very true. Kassian is constantly looking to make plays (sometimes to his own detriment unfortunately).
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

That was great, thanks for posting. I think the game stats on hits for this game were plain wrong. They had us out hit 28-13. What was funny in that clip is Eakins says he hadn't looked at the stat sheet but he thought his team's physicality was good and didn't think they were too badly out hit :oops: Then he is told the stats and he is like oh, ok. Goes onto say you have to be careful about stats both at home and on the road?!? But I take that to mean he knows they are slanted usually in favour of the home team.

I loved his answer about retribution too. Sounded like Spector was the goof who just wouldn't let it go.
The only HW the Canucks need
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

The one thing that I noticed in this game was how clutter free the neutral zone was. Our break outs and zone entries were clean and successful the majority of the time.

I think this is more a testament to the shittyness of the Coiler backchecking/defense than the Canucks offensive prowess though.

This game should have never been this close.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Torts/Brooks comes to mind. Dallas should have gotten out of Dodge.

Do those reporters represent the Alberta Hokey Burke is catering to?

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mëds wrote:Not sure if anyone caught the Edmonton side of the post-game, but it was highly entertaining, and I felt bad for Eakins, the Edmonton press must be staffed by Bountiful's castoffs.

Basically most of the post-game revolved around whether or not Eakins was happy with the Oilers' physical game, and specifically if he felt something more needed to be done about Kassian. Eakins answered the questions pretty handily, and the media losers came off sounding like ass-hats. :lol:

It's worth a look if you have 2 minutes and want to laugh at the Oilers.

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter ... L|EDM|home
I expected Eakins to say something like "A disturbing goal by a very disturbing player"... :mrgreen: