What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck team?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What is happening to the team right now?

Slump.
34%
Downward slope.
25%
Flu.
2%
Injuries.
13%
Fatigue.
11%
Other.
5%
Nothing fool! Now shut your yap.
11%

Total votes: 64

dbr
CC Legend

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Post by dbr »

Island Nucklehead wrote:The Hawks get full marks for building that 2010 roster, but they absolutely butchered retaining their players. That team had "Dynasty" written all over it. Stan Bowman's handling of the contract situation pretty much highlighted why Scotty is puppet-master. Stan couldn't manage a piss-up in a brewery.
to develop you could see one of the defencemen move soon.
Curious to know what you feel they should have done better?

This is off the top of my head but they got stuck with the Hjalmarsson offer sheet the summer they won and had to let Niemi go, and they dealt most of the forwards surrounding the core group for futures which has allowed them to get back to where they were.. the guys they traded all make vastly more than they did in their time with Chicago so it's pretty clear they weren't going to be able to keep them all.

Other than dumping Campbell right away I don't know what else they could have done.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

The_Pauser wrote:I told ya so.

This team just isn't that good, and they're proving what I've claimed for months/years.
The people who've been telling us that Roberto Luongo is washed up for four years now will be able to act like this one day too. Doesn't mean they were right then and it doesn't mean they're not insufferable pricks either.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

dbr wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:The Hawks get full marks for building that 2010 roster, but they absolutely butchered retaining their players. That team had "Dynasty" written all over it. Stan Bowman's handling of the contract situation pretty much highlighted why Scotty is puppet-master. Stan couldn't manage a piss-up in a brewery.
to develop you could see one of the defencemen move soon.
Curious to know what you feel they should have done better?

This is off the top of my head but they got stuck with the Hjalmarsson offer sheet the summer they won and had to let Niemi go, and they dealt most of the forwards surrounding the core group for futures which has allowed them to get back to where they were.. the guys they traded all make vastly more than they did in their time with Chicago so it's pretty clear they weren't going to be able to keep them all.

Other than dumping Campbell right away I don't know what else they could have done.

They screwed up with qualifying offers on a number of players. They missed the date to qualify them and they thus would be FA that July 1st. They had to over pay a few players to keep them which lead to some of their cap problems, but I think that was Tallon.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

You're right it was Tallon. Although I'm sure Bowman was in the organization as well..
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ya gotta figure the big head honcho Gillis will have a meeting with the team tomorrow.

Gotta settle the team down, refocus etc.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Does Island Knucklehead realize that the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup last year after accordingly to him "Bowman butchered the team"
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:Does Island Knucklehead realize that the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup last year after accordingly to him "Bowman butchered the team"
LOL

I was thinking the same thing. I wish we could do a hatchet job like that!
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Does Island Knucklehead realize that the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup last year after accordingly to him "Bowman butchered the team"
LOL

I was thinking the same thing. I wish we could do a hatchet job like that!
Hellya. We've been in the league what - 45 years? And still no cup? The Blackhawks win the cup 4 years ago and then win it last year after this apparent hatchet job? Lol. 2 cups in 4 years vs no cups EVER in 45 years? Maybe we should hire Bowman to hatchet the Canucks, might be the spark this team needs as seemingly - hatchet jobs can lead to Stanley cups 2 years later.

Mike Bold Moves Gillis vs Stan Hatchet Job Bowman. Who do you like? I know who dbr and Island Knucklehead like.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RD maybe you're familiar with this critique - Bowman won with Dale Tallon's core. ;)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dbr wrote:RD maybe you're familiar with this critique - Bowman won with Dale Tallon's core. ;)
But he hatcheted a lot of Tallons work and won the cup on his own merit 2 years later. Something we can't say about Gillis, but who cares, what bothers me is when you look up the standings way above us you still see Bowmans team our old peers the Blackhawks in elite-ville and us now mere peons outside the castle walls.

"The process" - Mike Bold Moves Gillis
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

dbr wrote:RD maybe you're familiar with this critique - Bowman won with Dale Tallon's core. ;)

LOL you're on a roll dave. A guy I work with says Gillis is a bum and should be turfed at the end of the year and the only reason he had success is because Nonis/Burke left him all the front line players. I said to him absolutely Nonis and Burke left some good players. I then asked him if he remember how the team aquired Luongo and the twins. bottom line is if we are throwing bouquets to the fat brothers than Iron Mike had best get a few as well.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Suds Mackenzie, be up front with me . Why are you such an advocate of Mike Gillis. What do you find so endearing about the piss poor adjustments or lack thereof by addition or subtraction he's executive decided upon since the cup run? Are you not aware of our fall from grace while our peers continue at a level of elite play. Why are you on board with the process that he chimes on about in every interview yet his fucking process sucks massive
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Everyone knew even before the RFA screwup that the Hawks were going to have to turf many of the great depth players that they had. They received terrific value for those pieces even though they were trading from a position of weakness. They used those picks and drafted pretty damn well and many of those picks are now regularly contributing for them. I don't know how you can not give the Hawks an A for their quick retool on the fly to put them back near the top of the league as a serious contender.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:But he hatcheted a lot of Tallons work and won the cup on his own merit 2 years later.
2013 Stanley Cup Winners, the Chicago Blackhawks.

Playoff Points leaders (Bowman acquisitions in bold):
Kane
Bickell
Sharp
Hossa
Toews
Keith

Only players with multiple powerplay points (Bowman acquisitions in bold):
Hossa
Keith
Sharp
Toews

Players over 50% on faceoffs (Bowman acquisitions in bold):
Sharp
Toews

Top Defensemen by ice time (Bowman acquisitions in bold):
Keith
Hjalmarsson
Seabrook

Excellent Goaltending Provided by (Bowman acquisitions in bold):
Crawford
Last edited by dbr on Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The_Pauser wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Dont want to sound like a Pauser fluffer but...

Anyone notice how the Sedins game has tanked since their new contracts?
Nice guys, great team mates, etc but it is becoming ever apparent their game isn't what it once was....even as recently as early this season. Personally I think those huge minute games really took the piss out our top players

An olympic break wont help the Sedins considering the Swedes likely have a team in the final 4
I told ya so.
From that other board, someone calls out Pauser (AKA y2kcanucks):
arttk wrote:Considering that he has been *****ing about the Sedins ever since he found HF, I am not sure why I along with other people still continue to have this "discussion".

He has been against the Sedins before they broke out, after they broke out, during their Art Ross seasons and now. I mean he would be credible if he actually showed that he didn't have any bias towards them but then after 6-7 years of saying the same **** regardless of how they are preforming, come on.
:lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.