Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Topper »

Scrivens will wish he was playing behind the leaves defence.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Topper wrote:Scrivens will wish he was playing behind the leaves defence.
I agree. So, did he Jeff Brown someone's wife in LA? Why was he traded so cheap and to such a crappy team??
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Tciso wrote:
I agree. So, did he Jeff Brown someone's wife in LA? Why was he traded so cheap and to such a crappy team??
Cheap? He returned a draft pick that is probably going to end up in the 61-70th overall range.

He's unrestricted at the end of the year and has proven relatively little (except that he can thrive behind the league's best defense).

I'd guess that at this point in the year most teams willing to give anything up for a goaltender probably want someone with a longer resume than Scrivens so the market was probably limited and I'd also guess the Kings don't mind giving whatever games Quick doesn't start to Martin Jones who will actually be around next year.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

dbr wrote:
Tciso wrote:
Cheap? He returned a draft pick that is probably going to end up in the 61-70th overall range.

He's unrestricted at the end of the year and has proven relatively little (except that he can thrive behind the league's best defense).
He did well in Toronto last season too. Yes, his resume is short, with only 3 years in the league. But, watching him play, I still say that a 3rd rounder was cheap.

** In my opinion, most trades involving goalies under-value the goalie.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Flyers extend Mason, 3 years 4.1 per.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Hockey Widow wrote:Flyers extend Mason, 3 years 4.1 per.
Bold move, cotton..
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Sharks get Thornton (3 years at $6.75m per) and Marleau (3 years @ $6.66m per) deals done.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

dbr wrote:Sharks get Thornton (3 years at $6.75m per) and Marleau (3 years @ $6.66m per) deals done.
What? Both shorter term and less $ than the Sedins signed for? Another fail by Gillis.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Very friendly deals for the Sharks, to say the least...
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Zedlee wrote:
dbr wrote:Sharks get Thornton (3 years at $6.75m per) and Marleau (3 years @ $6.66m per) deals done.
What? Both shorter term and less $ than the Sedins signed for? Another fail by Gillis.
Why is that exactly? They will all be the same age when their next contract end.

Joe and Patrick have won about as much as the Sedins.

Joe has made $76,425,000 in his career.

Patrick has made $61,795,000

Hank and Dank - $36,512,000 each

The Sedins have outscored Marleau by about 0.1 PPG in their career, while Joe has outscored the Sedins he does have the nickname "No Show" Joe for a reason. And he's also made more than twice as much in his career thus far.

We are talking about a few hundred thousand dollars here with the cap going up. If Joe and Patrick played in Vancouver there would be more complaints about their inconsistent play than any players on the team. The biggest difference right now is that in San Jose those two have a supporting cast to share the scoring with, whereas that is really where we are struggling right now.

Gillis failed at nothing here.

*EDIT: I did some quick math on those career totals from capgeek so they may be off a tad. Don't really want to double check but you get my point.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Zedlee wrote:
To be clear, if they had signed for $7.1M a year you'd have been applauding Gillis?
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

dhabums wrote:
Zedlee wrote:
To be clear, if they had signed for $7.1M a year you'd have been applauding Gillis?
I dont' like giving raises and 4 year deals to players whose best years are behind them.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

How do you know their best years are ahead or behind them?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Zedlee wrote: I dont' like giving raises and 4 year deals to players whose best years are behind them.
Did they get a raise?

They signed $12.2M combined against a cap of $56.8M or 21.4% of the teams cap.

Next year they are $14M combined against a cap of $71.1M or 19.6% of the teams cap.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Zedlee wrote: I dont' like giving raises and 4 year deals to players whose best years are behind them.
Did they get a raise?

They signed $12.2M combined against a cap of $56.8M or 21.4% of the teams cap.

Next year they are $14M combined against a cap of $71.1M or 19.6% of the teams cap.
Quite honestly I am not a fan of the Sedins in this new NHL. I was leary of them before the lockout of 2004, and warmed up to them slowly as they developed into the players they were at the end of 2011-12. During the shortened 2012-13 season I began to wonder if they were worth re-signing as it seemed that opposing teams had figured them out and they were becoming less effective. They have done nothing to change that opinion this season.

However, the numbers you posted there Island are eye opening and I had not thought to look at their contracts as percentages of total team cap. When one considers that they are now earning a lesser percentage of our overall cap, and that the salary cap will likely go up yet again for 2015-16, their contracts don't look all that bad. Essentially Gillis just gained 1.8% (possibly more down the road) in cap room by re-signing a pair of top 6 forwards to 4 year terms. Looking at things in that light, I don't care if they start scoring at 60 point pace if Gillis can find a couple of players to skate with Kesler on a top line.

The way Kassian is starting to develop, particularly his playmaking ability, coupled with the chemistry he appears to be developing with Kesler, I think that finding a winger in the mold of Evander Kane would more than offset the "decline" of the Sedins.

So pipe dream away.....say we get Kane.

Kane-Kesler-Kassian $12.25M (being generous and giving Kassian $2M on like a 3 year deal)
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows $16.5M (face it folks, nobody gels with the Sedins like Bur, they have missed him)

That's could be a pretty deadly top 6.....and it would cost us $28.75M 40% of our cap.

Figure another $18M for our top 4 defensemen, there's another 25% of our cap. (Obviously one of our current top 5 gets moved and I'm saying Edler goes and Tanev stays at around $3.5+M).

Leaves 35% of our cap for goaltenders, 6 forwards, and 2 defensemen, plus parts.

Well even if Luongo hangs around for another couple of years, between him and Eddie there goes 9% more. So now down to 26% of our total cap to fill out the roster.

So roughly $17M left to fill out 8 player spots. That's actually pretty easily done if we are going the route that Gillis has preached and start injecting youth into the lineup because we can probably allocate $6M to the 4th line, and that would buy a pretty stellar 4th line, another $5M to the bottom pairing, and then use youngsters on entry level deals to round out 3 other spots plus parts.

Factor in an growing cap ceiling and things don't look all that bad at all.