Paul Devorski

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Paul Devorski

Post by Strangelove »

NzVanFan wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
We've definitely got a few chickens on the team (Garrison - does he ever take a hit to make a play) and a few eggs (Weise - hello, anyone in there?). Smart teams would know when enough was enough wouldn't they?
What I meant was, were your Vancouver Canucks over-reacting to Devorski.

Or was Devorski over-reacting to your Vancouver Canucks.

Some of each you say?

Well that makes Devorski a bad referee.

Referees are not supposed to let it get personal.

It doesn't matter how hate-able your Vancouver Canucks are.
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Doc me and frazeeeer. Spread the word
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
NzVanFan
AHL Prospect

Post by NzVanFan »

Devorski overreacted - Canucks didn't handle it well - would have been a non issue if we'd been able to score some goals.

Has Devorski got a hate on for the Canucks? I'd like to think he's just going through a slump and it's simply a case of two slumping forces colliding. Then again, this is a representative of an organization who fined Hanzal only $5,000 for a "high stick" to David Booth....
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

mathonwy wrote:Two games doesn't make Devorski a Canuck hater.

I just can not get behind the victim mentality that seems to pervade Canuck fandom.

Ron MacLean aside, I don't think anyone truly has it in for the Canucks and I honestly believe that we bring a lot of that crap on our own head.

Did the Nucks deserve a 7 minute 5 on 3? Objectively and after reviewing the tape. No. But was anyone here privy to the the on-ice talk between the Nucks and Devorski up to that point? No again.

We all expect the refs to be professional and fair when it comes to our team but emotions are emotions and it seems like our team evokes the worst of them when it comes to the zebras.

What's the common theme between the Auger and Devorski incidents? Our team.
Yuck. I'd like to puke on your attitude.
If s ref cannot maintain impartiality and authority in a positive way for the league and the fans. He should not be a referee, period. I like to call him stinky now...
Now that I agree with. These are supposed to be full grown adults. Professionals at this highest level of their industry. We teach kids 'sticks and stones'. There is no excuse for this idiotic reffing.

I love my team. I hate the league. Refs should be managed outside of the NHL like in boxing and other sports. Aren't you sick of romoured internal reviews? Shit. Nothing ever changes.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I understand the 7 min PP call in LA, the double 7 call in Anaheim, as Fraser noted, had several issues. I believe Tororella also crossed the line with his obscenity laced tirade that incited Devorski's reaction. But two wrongs don't make a right and things don't auger well for Paul after this incident.

I'm waiting for the comedy of McLean's spin on it tonight.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Have another DOUGHNUT DEVORSKI should be blowing off sides in the echl after that bullshit.
After reading rat's stats about 7 minute penalties all I can think is he'll be losing his job pretty quick here. If he's still a ref after that then I might need a new hobby
If you need air...call it in
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

griz wrote: Now that I agree with. These are supposed to be full grown adults. Professionals at this highest level of their industry. We teach kids 'sticks and stones'. There is no excuse for this idiotic reffing.

I love my team. I hate the league. Refs should be managed outside of the NHL like in boxing and other sports. Aren't you sick of romoured internal reviews? Shit. Nothing ever changes.
Devils advocate here.

All of the men that are on that ice are supposed to be full grown adults and professionals. Refs, players, linesmen and coaches.

All of the teams play by the same rules and everyone has the same chance to win the Stanley Cup.

Just like everyone in a company are full grown adults and professionals and have the same chance to be promoted.

Whats the difference though? The intangibles. The politicking. The respect level.

Ultimately, it's on the Canucks themselves to change and not the refs. There are 29 other teams that don't "seem" to have the same problems with refs as your Vancouver Canucks.

It's not a conspiracy folks and if there ARE hard feelings toward the Canucks, it's the Canucks own damn fault that those feelings exist.

I'm not excusing Devorski for what he did but he's also not a robot.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Strangelove wrote:
NzVanFan wrote:This is a pretty good take on it from Kerry Fraser:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441481

And this from his earlier thoughts:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=441382
Thanks for the links!

One of the best refs in NHL history says Devorski has been behaving in an "unprofessional" biased manner.

And he says there is no doubt he has been spoken to by the league about his behavior.
No doubt he was contacted by the league office, but was it a "bad referee, BAD BAD BAD referee! Don't you do that again." talk or was it an "Atta Boy!" talk? There are days where you have to wonder. Having said that, where is Auger now?

There's no innocence on either side in either of these cases. Devorski has no excuses, and KF's admonishment is pretty much bang-on. That said, as much as I appreciate Torts' passion and while I think he was demonstrating his loyalty to his bench as much as venting his frustration, the team has to smarten up if they want to hope to get a call the rest of this season - let alone the playoffs. Zip the lip, control what you can control and let the results fall where they may. The team gains nothing by berating the refs on the ice. If evidence mounts that the officiating is incompetent and/or biased, then it is up to Gillis to present it to the league and (if unsatisfied with the result) present it to the public and the media. I would say that it won't take much more for Gillis to make a compelling case.

I agree that officiating - as well as player safety and supplementary discipline - should be taken out of the hands of the league and be put in the hands of a government body or an amalgamated body between Hockey Canada and its American counterpart. Hell, even the Las Vegas Gaming Commission wouldn't be a bad alternative. There are simply too many evident and implicit vulnerabilities with the league running such matters for the situation to continue.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: the double 7 call in Anaheim, as Fraser noted, had several issues.
Yeah I take issue with a ref setting a new record in the penalty department whilst calling a coach an asshole.
Topper wrote: things don't auger well for Paul after this incident.
:D
Topper wrote: I'm waiting for the comedy of McLean's spin on it tonight.
Post it here please, don't think I'll get a chance to watch...
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote:I understand the 7 min PP call in LA, the double 7 call in Anaheim, as Fraser noted, had several issues. I believe Tororella also crossed the line with his obscenity laced tirade that incited Devorski's reaction. But two wrongs don't make a right and things don't auger well for Paul after this incident.

I'm waiting for the comedy of McLean's spin on it tonight.
LOL fuckin Ron MacLean and his tirades about officiating and the Canucks, there's gotta be some behind the scenes talk when all the ref's chill on google hangouts, smack talking about teams.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

mathonwy wrote: Devils advocate here.

All of the men that are on that ice are supposed to be full grown adults and professionals. Refs, players, linesmen and coaches.
Though SOME ARE (see our own beloved Markus Naslund and Trevor Linden for example). Considering that only a very few people get a chance to be a ref in the NHL you would think a better system would be put into place to ensure quality officiating.
All of the teams play by the same rules and everyone has the same chance to win the Stanley Cup.
Right. There's no BS anywhere. :)
Just like everyone in a company are full grown adults and professionals and have the same chance to be promoted.
Nope. Only those who have proven they can handle pressure should rise to the top.
Ultimately, it's on the Canucks themselves to change and not the refs. There are 29 other teams that don't "seem" to have the same problems with refs as your Vancouver Canucks.
I think you need smelling salts.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

griz wrote:
I think you need smelling salts.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Devorski's sitting at home tonight catching the highlights and salivating over how many 7 minute penalties he could have handed out to Vancouver in tonight's game. :P
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote:Devorski's sitting at home tonight catching the highlights and salivating over how many 7 minute penalties he could have handed out to Vancouver in tonight's game. :P
No doubt! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Is hockey harder to referee in this new era? Even with the iceclogging four of them...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….