Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Also, doctors don't tend to lie about their diagnosis... no matter who's paying them.
That's a HUGE assumption! :shock:

Probably does not apply to doctors connected to bicycle racing, crosscountry skiing or 1980's US & Soviet track and field. And I'm not so sure about Jamaica either. :mex:
Ummm good point.

But don't forget about this part of the Great Strangelove's post:

"the league doctors take a long hard look at these cases".

____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote:Bet some of ya are having second thoughts about buying out Luongo now hey? hahahaha
NOPE
____
Try to focus on someday.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Strangelove wrote:
SKYO wrote:Bet some of ya are having second thoughts about buying out Luongo now hey? hahahaha
NOPE
So you like losing games as long as we have da sedinzzzz and no Luongo? Yikes! Glad you're not running this team.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

The_Pauser wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
NOPE
So you like losing games as long as we have da sedinzzzz and no Luongo? Yikes! Glad you're not running this team.
it would be interesting to hear how you would run this team....

Let's start off with the Sedins, you've made it clear you would not have re signed them and either traded or let them walk as UFAs...tell me who you would have replaced them with...
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

vic wrote:

Let's start off with the Sedins, you've made it clear you would not have re signed them and either traded or let them walk as UFAs...tell me who you would have replaced them with...
Tough to say. Let's assume it's a going forward basis I would not have extended them and would either look to move them at this deadline (unlikely) or just let them walk as UFA"s. Not sure what the UFA crop looks like, but I would target guys like Callahan, Stastny and Downie depending on the price tag. Also, with the Sedins walking I would look into another Luongo trade and with Florida talking like they want to be a cap ceiling team I feel a deal could be made there.

I would look to move Edler, Hansen, and this years 1st round pick for Evander Kane. And I would look to move Ryan Kesler in a trade for someone like Ryan Johansen (perhaps in the offseason when he is a RFA). Bring in a young core group. Guys like Burrows and Higgins would still be here as we would need their leadership to bring these kids along.

Yes, this team would not do well next season at all, but the key is to try to get a top 3 draft pick in the 2015 draft where there are several highly rated picks (including generational talent Connor McDavid). If we miss out on McDavid there is still Matthew Barzal, Jack Eichel,

Next season both Horvat and Shinkaruk will get their feet wet. They won't be given top line roles, but 2nd/3rd line spots to get accustomed to the NHL. The following year they should be on the cusp of being able to step up, in addition with a player like McDavid/Barzal/Eichel who should all be in the NHL in their draft year will form an extremely good young nucleus, along with Evander Kane, Brendan Gaunce, and (hopefully) Zack Kassian.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

vic wrote: it would be interesting to hear how you would run this team....
Hey vic,

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The_Pauser wrote: the key is to try to get a top 3 draft pick in the 2015 draft
:lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:
SKYO wrote:Bet some of ya are having second thoughts about buying out Luongo now hey? hahah
NOPE
:scowl:
--

Commence reconstruction Mike Keenan style, come in blow shit up and go for a quick rebuild..

Generally GM's feel safe trading a dman for a forward and vice versa, easier to mask the trade as it's harder to compare/judge the transaction, so with that:

Edler for Couturier + 1st
or
Edler for Nyquist (LW/C, sound two-way safe scoring forward) or Tatar (LW, explosive scoring forward) + pick or Smith. I prefer Tatar as he seems like that elusive elite LW scorer in the not too distant future, but Nyquist is able to play center as well as wing.

Kesler for Yandle or just keep RK17 and sign Dan Boyle if he makes it to UFA.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

RoyalDude wrote:Gillis will most likely trade a 2nd and/or a 3rd round pick at the deadline for a Matt Stajan type. That's his style, reclamation projects and journeyman role player tinkerings. Very bold
You know what?

I'd rather the Canucks just stand pat this deadline.

If they can surprise one of the West Conference powerhouses if they make the playoffs, well... awesome.

But this edition of the Canucks is more than a "fine tune" away from competing for the Stanley Cup, so the best thing would be to make the playoffs, get your minimum two home dates to pad/satisfy Aquilini's pocket, and continue to build the team through the draft and free agency.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

The_Pauser wrote:
vic wrote:

Tough to say. Let's assume it's a going forward basis I would not have extended them and would either look to move them at this deadline (unlikely) or just let them walk as UFA"s. Not sure what the UFA crop looks like, but I would target guys like Callahan, Stastny and Downie depending on the price tag. Also, with the Sedins walking I would look into another Luongo trade and with Florida talking like they want to be a cap ceiling team I feel a deal could be made there.

I would look to move Edler, Hansen, and this years 1st round pick for Evander Kane. And I would look to move Ryan Kesler in a trade for someone like Ryan Johansen (perhaps in the offseason when he is a RFA). Bring in a young core group. Guys like Burrows and Higgins would still be here as we would need their leadership to bring these kids along.

Yes, this team would not do well next season at all, but the key is to try to get a top 3 draft pick in the 2015 draft where there are several highly rated picks (including generational talent Connor McDavid). If we miss out on McDavid there is still Matthew Barzal, Jack Eichel,

Next season both Horvat and Shinkaruk will get their feet wet. They won't be given top line roles, but 2nd/3rd line spots to get accustomed to the NHL. The following year they should be on the cusp of being able to step up, in addition with a player like McDavid/Barzal/Eichel who should all be in the NHL in their draft year will form an extremely good young nucleus, along with Evander Kane, Brendan Gaunce, and (hopefully) Zack Kassian.

So you are concerned about the Twins production, but want to get rid of them so the team sucks even more to garner a top pick in the 2015 draft? That's the exact message the team wants to send to it's players - let's suck ass so we can get a high draft pick who will take one of your jobs. Getting a high draft pick will help us, after all look at how Edmonton's been doing, they've had 5 in the past few years....

Tell Rob Ford I said hi.
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
You know what?

I'd rather the Canucks just stand pat this deadline.

If they can surprise one of the West Conference powerhouses if they make the playoffs, well... awesome.

But this edition of the Canucks is more than a "fine tune" away from competing for the Stanley Cup, so the best thing would be to make the playoffs, get your minimum two home dates to pad/satisfy Aquilini's pocket, and continue to build the team through the draft and free agency.

S_C
Completely agree. My only caveat is if the Canucks actually fall out of playoff contention (very unlikely). Then I don't mind a player or two departing at the deadline if the prices are high.

Other than that, in a highly cap constrained season, its best we stand pat - unless the morons in Winnipeg are actually stupid enough to cut ties with Kane.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

The_Pauser wrote:Eddie Lack has also looked noticeably average since Luongo went down. Perhaps it's a bad idea for the Canucks to pay $25M for Luongo to no longer be a Canuck? Whodathunkit?
Good point, if we buy out Lou, then who's going to replace him? Eddie Lack Attack? I like him a lot, but not sure he's ready. Go out and sign/trade for a guy? U will probably sign a player who won't be as good as Lou and as far as trade goes, u have to give up assets to acquire something. Gillis's MO is to play it safe, if Aqua-man buys out Lou and leaves him with nothing, Gillis won't know what to do and pee in his pants. :lol:

BTW: are u the real Pauser? If u are, I gotta say I luv ya and u are freakin AWESOME! (No Homo) :D
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^^^ :roll:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/2 ... y-decision

Countdown on O'Reilly

Circle Feb. 28 on your calendar. It’s as of that date that the trade freeze lifts on Ryan O'Reilly and the Colorado Avalanche can move the star player if it wishes to do so. They weren’t allowed to trade him for 12 months after matching Calgary’s offer sheet last Feb. 28.

There are several teams we’ve spoken to over the past week that are eagerly anticipating Colorado’s decision on O’Reilly. Do they move him or keep him?

He’s a restricted free agent July 1 whose qualifying offer costs $6.5 million. No small potatoes. Of course they can also sign him to an extension for less money if the player was up for that.

If Colorado wants to seriously upgrade its defense corps, it likely needs to make a quality top-six forward available. Is that O’Reilly, pending UFA Paul Stastny or is there another way to get that defenseman?

If the Avs do put O’Reilly on the trade market (and again, we don’t’ know if they ever will), there would be at least a dozen teams interested. One of them would likely be the Vancouver Canucks, who are said to covet O’Reilly and have depth at defense, which is what the Avs would be looking for. Food for thought…
Something around Edler for ROR?? :thumbs:

Then sign him to 8 years at $5.5m per and watch those Stanley Cups start rolling in. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

SKYO wrote:Fed up with this, lets get some young guns from Detroit for Edler...

Tatar or Nyquist + Smith or DeKeyser.
Umm, no thanks. We'll stick w/ Edler and give him time to get his legs back.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

vic wrote:
So you are concerned about the Twins production, but want to get rid of them so the team sucks even more to garner a top pick in the 2015 draft? That's the exact message the team wants to send to it's players - let's suck ass so we can get a high draft pick who will take one of your jobs. Getting a high draft pick will help us, after all look at how Edmonton's been doing, they've had 5 in the past few years....

Tell Rob Ford I said hi.
The Twins production is bad for what their roles are, and is only going to get worse. As long as we are paying these guys $14M to be our top offensive producers we aren't going anywhere. This moment will come. You can't stop it, barring a big trade where we rip someone off somehow. Either we keep the Sedins and you Sedin fanboys can stroke yourselves watching them for another 4 years while the team continues to be an average team with no hope of winning the Cup before we enter the inevitable rebuild (or enter Calgary territory before then), or we can accept that it's going to happen anyway so we might as well get it over with now.

Just because Edmonton screwed up their rebuild doesn't mean we would. How did Chicago get Toews and Kane? How did Pittsburgh get Crosby and Malkin? How did LA get Doughty?