Why Jovo kinda sucks these days...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Why doesn't Jovo HIT anymore?

Doesn't want to get hurt in a contract year
22%
Doesn't want to take a penalty w/ unpredictable refs
22%
He's gotten soft & complacent in recent years
17%
Hitting's for rookies silly rabbit
17%
He just wants to focus on offense
22%

Total votes: 18

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Islander simply don't play the same system as The Canucks, an offensive system would suit Sopel. Actually reagrding Baumer I think he's really getting some confidence and is looking better as the season progresses. How many times he's started a season only to be sent down it's going to take some time before he feels comfortable. I expected more from McCarthy, he ceratinly doesn't look relexed and neither is he strong on the puck, it'sike your expecting him to get stripped of the puck, do you see the same thing ?
cheers
mindbender
CC Rookie

Post by mindbender »

Yep, I see the same thing from McCarthy. He has that expression on his face that he's feeling uptight and overthinking. Of course that could be his regular expression too..Once Bieksa has had some ice time on the farm and if he plays well I'll bet the Canucks will give him a look if they can afford to bring him up. Alain Vinot (spelling?), the coach of the Moose is clear that he will only send the players who are playing the best at the time of the call from the Canucks rather than the "faves". He's got the buy-in from Nonis on this that the promotion will be based on who has been playing hot at the time of the call, thus this is why Josh Green got the call as he was the best player at that moment.
WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE »

Fred wrote:Islander simply don't play the same system as The Canucks, an offensive system would suit Sopel. Actually reagrding Baumer I think he's really getting some confidence and is looking better as the season progresses. How many times he's started a season only to be sent down it's going to take some time before he feels comfortable. I expected more from McCarthy, he ceratinly doesn't look relexed and neither is he strong on the puck, it'sike your expecting him to get stripped of the puck, do you see the same thing ?
Missing a year or development last year really hurt McCarthy. He is a project, and is going to have his ups and downs this year.

I think that since his Chicago game he has looked a lot better. It's too bad for him that as soon as it looked like he was starting to find some confidence, he suffered a harsh groin pull. From what I've heard he might be back in time for tuesday's game against the Hawks, which would be great considering that when Brookbank is dressed as our 6th d-man, his ice time ranges from 0 seconds to 5 minutes.

The stats sheets are messed up right now, but I don't recall Brookbank getting a single shift that entire Duck's game.

McCarthy has the tools to be a good player in this system. I think that once he gets his confidence back and gets his defensive bearings we will start to see more of his offensive talent.

But I think it is important to remember, as I said before, that McCarthy is a project. He is a former 1st round pick who another organization felt wasn't going to live up to his billing. We flipped a third round pick because either our brass saw something the Hawk brass didn't, or because of the system we play.

The book is still out on McCarthy...and considering our options with the cap I don't think he was a bad choice. For the money we are paying him, I am not sure who else we would be better off spending the time on.

If it works out, we stole him in a trade. If not, we have Bieksa, Skinner,Bourdon, Kolstov, Elder and Mojzis waiting in the wings.

Salary cap reality more than anything else.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

[quote="WCE]

But I think it is important to remember, as I said before, that McCarthy is a project. He is a former 1st round pick who another organization felt wasn't going to live up to his billing. We flipped a third round pick because either our brass saw something the Hawk brass didn't, or because of the system we play.

If it works out, we stole him in a trade. If not, we have Bieksa, Skinner,Bourdon, Kolstov, Elder and Mojzis waiting in the wings.

Salary cap reality more than anything else.[/quote]

So was Lee Goren... a 1st round pick and a few others the Canucks made too. I hope McCarthy makes it. I recall in his darft year there was a big spread on him in the Province. He was certainly highly rated
cheers
WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE »

Nolan Baumgartner was also a former 1st rounder. There is a large spectrum that Goren and McCarthy will find themselves placed in.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season