GDT: Vancouver @ Diver Central - 7:30PM SNET / FS-W

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Vancouver @ Diver Central - 7:30PM SNET / FS-W

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

Watch the game without paying attention to Garrett's blind homerism and would have seen a very dumb Canuck team completely off their game trying to play their opponents game. LA quietly let Vancouver play LA's style and waited for the mistakes to be made.

Kassian of the opening whistle, how many steamboats do you expect the ref to give you with that limp can opener before calling it? Dumb.

There was nothing wrong with the Nolan attempted hit on Henrik and hence nothing for Nolan to answer to. Just a dumb move by Sestito. Dumber.

Weiss with an ugly slew foot on Doughty with a fortunate no call. Dumb. Then follows it up with a bump and from some camera angles, another slew foot of Quick, forcing the ref to make the call. Dumber.

Hamhuis pinching when LA has three forwards near the blue line. Dumb.

Hamhuis and Santorelli blowing past the net on the back check leaving two Kings alone in front. Dumber.

Bieksa crossshecking the back of Quick's head. Dumb.

Bieksa answering for the crosscheck against a much bigger opponent, honourable and precisely how Brown should have been handled in the previous game.

Kesler having a word with his Olympic team mate Brown, (apparently speaking American so the linesman dropping the puck wouldn't understand), that they had unfinished business from the Luongo hit. Honourable.

Brown answering vs Kesler. Honourable.

Brown scoring the games only goal on three Canuck mistakes, poetic bitch slap.

All that extraneous bullshit hid the stellar play by Quick and especially Lack. Lack came very close to stealing a point in this one.

Edler quietly with a good game and back to his early season punishing hits on the boards.

Terrific effort on the PK against a ghastly Kings PP.

What was going on during the timeout. Was Gullet or Sullivan supposed to be directing things? Certainly looked disorganized.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

May have been dumb but it wasn't being run over. I believe this team just became a team again. Dumb? Maybe not..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Sorry Top, disagree with everything you said in the first part of your thread.

Sometimes standing up for one another is what a team needs to win in the long run. I loved it and prefer to see some of that stupidty once in a while instead of the pussyness we see from the team majority of the nights. Did it go a little too far, probably but again it was needed.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Reefer2 wrote:Sorry Top, disagree with everything you said in the first part of your thread.

Sometimes standing up for one another is what a team needs to win in the long run. I loved it and prefer to see some of that stupidty once in a while instead of the pussyness we see from the team majority of the nights. Did it go a little too far, probably but again it was needed.
Exactly what made it dumb. Nothing wrong with standing up for yourself however Kassian and Sestito crossed the line to stupid. Despite what Garret whined about all night, there was nothing wrong with Nolan's attempted hit on Henrik thus no need for any sort of retribution.

The good thing that came out of it is that a couple of 6 foot 195 lb players started playing like they are 6 foot 195 lb players.

Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Wait a minute Top-spin...

Way to paint the club into a catch-22.

If they ratchet up the physicality, stand up for each other and join the Kings in the trenches they are being dumb by playing into the Kings' hands.

If they try to 'play smart', turn the other cheek and burn them on the PP and the scoreboard they're being pussies and won't last a game in the playoffs.

You cherry-pick the Bieksa and Kesler bouts as 'honourable'. The problem is we both should agree that the Kings vs the Canucks is way beyond answering the bell for hitting goalies on either side in the blue paint. This is about either fighting back or turtling when teams like the Kings decide to try and run the Canucks out of the building. If you have a cure-all third way to deal with those kinds of teams with the personnel at hand, by all means let us know - and maybe throw an FYI to Torts while you're at it.

Kassian pulling that shit off the opening face-off - agreed, that was dumb. With a rat like Brown, you have to catch him when he's not looking and accidentally-on-purpose knock him into next season or a new career.

Edit - 'honourable' and 'L.A. Kings' have no business being in the same sentence. No team captained by that worthless excuse for flesh deserves such a moniker associated with them. That Mitchell has lowered himself so is disappointing but hey, a guy has to make a buck somewhere.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Lancer wrote:Wait a minute Top-spin...
Brought out your inner Bountiful.

Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Topper wrote:
Lancer wrote:Wait a minute Top-spin...
Brought out your inner Bountiful.
It's residual, like atomic half-life. :P

Hate the League.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

That was a fun game to watch, if only for the ridiculousness.

I don’t know what effect “sticking up for each other” will have over the long term. I know it feels good, and I liked seeing Brown in obvious discomfort in the penalty box after his fight with Kesler.

One thing I do know for sure though is this terrible power play is absolutely killing us. We would easily have 5-10 more points in the standings if our PP was merely average.

Sestito is an idiot, but maybe it’s OK having one or two of these guys in the lineup. I didn’t mind him taking Nolan to task because of Nolan’s history running the Sedins. Nolan has taken a run at Henrik at least once before. Not sure why Nolan pussied out so hard on that one…he has fought Sestito before, after all.

Kassian is stupid too, but Brown made sure Zack’s stick remained between his legs and took a pretty obvious dive there. Smart play on Brown’s part, and I’d like to see a little more intelligence from Kassian.

I though Archibald was a mean SOB? We have yet to see a scrap or a big hit.

Dale Weise is such a goof. Not sure what else Doughty could have been doing there but running interference on Weise, but that was an obvious, and bad, slew foot.

If Hank would have buried one of his two glorious scoring chances in the second period the game might have ended differently.

The Canucks missed Edler and Burrows. I for one drastically underappreciated their contributions, and having Edler back last night was huge. From a puck possession standpoint this team hasn’t been anywhere near the same since both of these guys came out of the lineup.

Is Eddie Lack the real deal? He has exceeded everybody’s expectations and is approaching wildest dreams territory. Schneider hasn’t been gone a year and we may be on the eve of another goaltending controversy.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Man the kings fans hate us...it makes me mad they hate us so much. Blinders on they all have. Throwing rocks living in glass houses...reading around the web..we are hated again after a year or so of almost losing the degree of stigma
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

rats19 wrote:Man the kings fans hate us...it makes me mad they hate us so much. Blinders on they all have. Throwing rocks living in glass houses...reading around the web..we are hated again after a year or so of almost losing the degree of stigma
People outside of BC hate the Canucks anyway. Other teams taking cheap shots at the Canucks are acceptable but just not the other way around...
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

And now we hate the Kings fans and their dirty/diving/whiny players, it's like their fans have copied their whiny/crying dman doughty, plus don't get me started on their snarky LA Kings twitter account. :evil:

Anyways this rivalry just got elevated to top tier status overtaking the now oldschool canucks/hawks rivalry.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Mëds wrote:
sagebrush wrote:The Canucks passed tonight's character test, but couldn't maintain the pace in the third period. All that PK didn't help (3rd period energy level), but it was worth it.
There was no real drop off in pace in the third period. The Kings goal was the result of a mental error, not the pace of the game. We actually picked up the pace in the latter half of the period.
Shots on goal, while at even strength, reflect the dominance of the Canucks forcheck the first two periods.

The third period was a different story. LA lead the Canucks 6-2 in even strength shots in the first half of the third period, then LA settled into a defensive posture to protect the lead & try to capitalize on Canuck mistakes. The Canuck forcheck fizzled.
Attachments
140114 can - LA.b.jpg
140114 can - LA.b.jpg (30.14 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

rats19 wrote:Man the kings fans hate us...it makes me mad they hate us so much. Blinders on they all have. Throwing rocks living in glass houses...reading around the web..we are hated again after a year or so of almost losing the degree of stigma
It is why I laugh at the hate for Dustin Brown I read here. Change the name to Ryan Kesler and you'll read the same everywhere else on the web.

At least we have a rivalry...............remember when Calgary had rivalries?

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

We sure do...they will hurt us in a series..need bigger faster stronger..(new concept) lol
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Topper wrote:Change the name to Ryan Kesler and you'll read the same everywhere else on the web.
At least Kesler doesn't injure other players even close to what Brown does. I get the comparison, but it further reflects the double-standard when it comes to Canucks versus the league's darlings, the media and their fans.

Hate the League.