Blews @ Vancouver - 7PM SNET / FS-NW

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Blews @ Vancouver - 7PM SNET / FS-NW

Post by Island Nucklehead »

mathonwy wrote: I ask you this, would Chicago's Toews and Kane start doing stuff like that or would they use the power play to try to get that insurance goal?
Chicago's Toews and Kane have a much better team surrounding them. They don't have a Zach Dalpe playing on their line.

Nice to beat the 2nd best team in the league in regulation. Lost in OT to the Best, lost in a shootout to the best in the East, and beat the Blues tonight. Loved the TSN play-up of how bad we've been, as if the leaves have faced equally tough competition...

System and goaltending. If this team had another 20-goal guy (hello, real Alex Burrows... c'mon back anytime) we might have the horses to do something. As it is, the system and the goaltending gives us a chance to win.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

What we need is the real Alex Edler and the real Alex Burrows to come back.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

mathonwy wrote:What we need is the real Alex Edler and the real Alex Burrows to come back.
10 games before they'll be up to speed :drink:
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Island Nucklehead wrote:............. we might have the horses to do something. As it is, the system and the goaltending gives us a chance to win.
...and the talent, and the experience :drink:
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

dangler wrote:
mathonwy wrote:What we need is the real Alex Edler and the real Alex Burrows to come back.
10 games before they'll be up to speed :drink:
Burr is a real question mark. For whatever reason, he was having the worst puck luck before getting hit in the jaw. Was he getting better? Really hard to say.

Edler should be fine because of the Olympic games. Team Sweden is top 3 in many people's books. Playing with his country men will get him in game shape.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dangler wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:............. we might have the horses to do something. As it is, the system and the goaltending gives us a chance to win.
...and the talent, and the experience :drink:
Experience is definitely there. This team knows how to play an NHL-style game. Compare it to a team like the Oilers, where its Jekyll and Hyde every night, and its night and day. Unfortunately, we don't have the talent to match our work ethic/professionalism. A healthy Burrows and Edler could definitely help that. Similar to a great trade-deadline acquisition upgrade, those guys coming back healthy and contributing could really help... we'll see.

Either way, I think this team is treading water nicely after the lockout/cap-drop. We finished 8th in the league last year, we're 9th so far this year, after moving from one of the worst division in hockey to the toughest. 4 of the top 9 teams in the NHL are from the Pacific.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

bottom 6 is flush ,D is there (Tanev's last shift was a beautiful thang),might be a forward short in the top 6...but if they hit the playoffs healthy and the stars align ...............who knows :drink:
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Welcome back Lappy.
Attachments
courtesy ESPN
courtesy ESPN
140110 Hamhuis hits Lapierre.jpg (162.27 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

sagebrush wrote:Welcome back Lappy.
My poor LapDawg. :(

dangler wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Topper wrote:SO with the 2nd and 3rd Canuck goals scored by Tom Sestito at 18:56 and 19:58 of the third period.
Woot, Topper hopping on the Sestito band wagon! :lol:
It was only a matter of time Todd!! I'm sure he appreciates us enlightening him ;)
:lol:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Well lets hope IF the team makes the playoffs they start off vs the Blues LOL.

The Canucks are the Blues kryptonite.

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

5thhorseman wrote:Lack got a bit lucky today.
Let's call him Lucky Lack! :)

I mean, seriously, Lack Attack Pack? :eh:
How often do you see a goalie not named Hextall or Emery attack? :hmmm:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
mathonwy wrote: I ask you this, would Chicago's Toews and Kane start doing stuff like that or would they use the power play to try to get that insurance goal?
Chicago's Toews and Kane have a much better team surrounding them. They don't have a Zach Dalpe playing on their line.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
With his team playing a tentative first period, Canucks coach John Tortorella moved Dalpe up with Henrik and Daniel Sedin and left him there for the rest of the game.

''I didn't think he was serious to start,'' said Dalpe, who usually plays on the fourth line.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/santorelli ... --nhl.html
:D
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

mathonwy wrote:So....

Credit this win to Lacky and Torts.

Torts and his crazy blender of lines.

Lack with some fucking awesome goaltending. Backup? Come on!!! 1a 1b baby....

At the end of the game, we almost blew it again. For some kind of stupid ass reason, the Sedins, got scared and started playing to not lose instead of playing to win. That retarded pig in the middle puck passing they were doing really took away ANY momentum the Canucks had generated on the power play up to that point. When the Blues wound it up and took off into our zone, Chris Stewart outskated TWO Canuck players on his way to the goal. And it was because all of the Canuck players were standing still because of the retarded power play.

I ask you this, would Chicago's Toews and Kane start doing stuff like that or would they use the power play to try to get that insurance goal?

I just don't see our killer instinct. I don't see the confident Sedins passing that puck around like it was nothing making the opponents running around.

I just see uncertainty and desperation. I hope this win sparks something because the Sedins seem to be in a major funk right now. I wonder who we could trade for to try to spark the Sedins?

I agree. We were very lucky to win that one, but everything evens out in the end. We were very unlucky to not have gotten another 4 or so points in the previous games.

The Sedins at times are frustrating to watch, loads of talent , but shoot the f-----ing puck more please!!!. There was one particular play where Daniel had the puck in the slot and chose to try and make the fancy pass to his brother behind him resulting in a rush the other way. Torts has to tell them , when leading by 1 in the 3rd, shoot from anywhere. I almost threw my beer at the tv on that one
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I don't think we were lucky to win. We played a very good game. We were basically even with them in hits, owned the F/O, played disciplined (only one penalty) and had very solid goaltending. Lack was in position to make some great saves, the type that makes us say of our players that we make a back up look like the second coming.

We kept to shots to 30 which shows we tightened up in the D'zone. 4th line played good minutes. Kessler, Kassian, Higgins looked good, even Sestito looked good again. Nothing lucky about that win.

Our weaknesses are well known and yes it will help getting Edler and Burrows back. Even a Healthy JS, if he can generate anything this year, makes us stronger and deeper.

Good game, good win and finally we hold onto a one goal lead, even if we did get running around we managed to hold on.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Ugliest game of the year, but somehow "we" managed it. :mrgreen:

Thank you Dalp and Mike De Santo. Never seen these dirty reflections off a stick before... :mex:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'