Pittsburgh @ Vancouver 10:00 PM ET TSN,ROOT

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Pittsburgh @ Vancouver 10:00 PM ET TSN,ROOT

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Doc's Butt Kisser wrote:And he's still a much better player than Dion Phaneuf and 2.5 million a year cheaper.

I feel like Bob Probert pummeling Lars Molin.
Aye, another Hamhuis worshipper. Don't worry, Hammer our Norris D-man is the best D-man in the whole wide world. Hell, he made the Cdn Olympic squad, he's super good. :P
Well it's pretty tough to be hard on Hamhuis when you claim you want Phaneuf. If you think Hamhuis is mistake-prone or overrated then you'd tear your eyes out watching some of Phaneuf's blunders.

Did you watch 24/7? Came across is a complete moron. His lack of brains (for such a large cranium he's a shockingly dumb hockey player) is his greatest flaw and the number 1 reason he's not a franchise d-man.

The sad thing (for Phaneuf) is, Babcock wanted an even Left-Right handed split. So Hamhuis and Phaneuf (both lefties) were competing for the same position. It says a lot when a team without salary cap constraints picks Dan Hamhuis as a better d-man.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Topper wrote:Look at the confident puck movement of the Pens on the PP and remember days gone by.
Thinking about this is way more painful then the loss. :mad:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Well it's pretty tough to be hard on Hamhuis when you claim you want Phaneuf. If you think Hamhuis is mistake-prone or overrated then you'd tear your eyes out watching some of Phaneuf's blunders.

The sad thing (for Phaneuf) is, Babcock wanted an even Left-Right handed split. So Hamhuis and Phaneuf (both lefties) were competing for the same position. It says a lot when a team without salary cap constraints picks Dan Hamhuis as a better d-man.
Yes, I admitted as much that Dion will make his share of mistakes, I compared him to Jovo (million dollar talent, 2 cent brain). As far as the olympics goes, it's a different game, much more skating and open ice. Round robin, one game and u could be out. It's apple and oranges. I'll state this again, if I'm going into the NHL playoffs and I'm getting ready to play the Kings, Sharks and Ducks in a grueling 7 game series, I'd take Dion to patrol to my blueline anytime. He's physically stronger and he can play the tuff minutes logging a ton of ice time. Hammer on the hand struggles against bigger doods and struggles if he's over-worked like he is now; he's really better as a 2nd pairing guy. Plus, lots of great players didn't make the olympic squad, like Lucic and St. Louis. Personally, I'd take Lucic and St. Louis over half those forwards that made Team Canada. That's just my opinion, u are welcome to disagree.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Well it's pretty tough to be hard on Hamhuis when you claim you want Phaneuf. If you think Hamhuis is mistake-prone or overrated then you'd tear your eyes out watching some of Phaneuf's blunders.

Yes, I admitted as much that Dion will make his share of mistakes, I compared him to Jovo (million dollar talent, 2 cent brain). As far as the olympics goes, it's a different game, much more skating and open ice. Round robin, one game and u could be out. It's apple and oranges. I'll state this again, if I'm going into the NHL playoffs and I'm getting ready to play the Kings, Sharks and Ducks in a grueling 7 game series, I'd take Dion to patrol to my blueline anytime. He's physically stronger and he can play the tuff minutes logging a ton of ice time. Hammer on the hand struggles against bigger doods and struggles if he's over-worked like he is now; he's really better as a 2nd pairing guy. Plus, lots of great players didn't make the olympic squad, like Lucic and St. Louis. Personally, I'd take Lucic and St. Louis over half those forwards that made Team Canada. That's just my opinion, u are welcome to disagree.
Give your head a shake Toddler, and next time go look at some stats and recaps so you actually have half a clue about what you are talking about.

Since the Christmas break Vancouver has played 6 games, 4 of them back-to-back, the most recent being against LA and Anaheim, two of the toughest teams in the league. During those games Hamhuis has been very good, certainly not mistake free, but he's played well and he's played BIG minutes. Scuttlebutt was that it was during these games that the final decisions regarding team Canada were made, but I digress, Take a look.....

@ CGY: 29:22 and a +1
vs PHI: 32:30 and a +1
vs TB: 29:29 and even
@ LA: 27:38 and even
@ ANA: 31:32 and even
vs PIT: 26:53 and -2

The last 3 games were against 3 of the best teams in the league, and all of the back-to-backs involved at least one game on the road.

Maybe we should look at Toronto's schedule since the break too.....No? Ok, we will anyways.....

vs BUF: 25:56 and -1
vs CAR: 22:55 and +3
@ DET: 28:24 and +2
vs NYR: 22:13 and even
vs NYI: 23:34 and -3

None of Toronto's games were back-to-back. In fact, the leaves had 2 nights off between every game except the first two. None of those opponents are top teams, Buffalo is the last overall, Carolina sits 21st, Detroit is barely staying afloat and a single point above the leaves, the Rangers are in the final playoff spot by a nose, and the Islanders sit 26th, and other than a couple of players on the Rangers, none of those teams are going to come in and physically impose themselves on their opponents.

And Phaneuf still fucks up left and right.....but you're right Toddler, it's because he's playing the "tuff" minutes and logging tons of ice time. :roll:

I don't even know how you bring Phaneuf into the playoff argument here either.....he's never gone beyond the first round, and he's a career minus-18 when he gets there. Minus fucking 18!!!!! His mistakes last year, in what is surely the most epic series deciding game 7 meltdown of all time by any team, were hilarious.

Keep it up Toddler.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mondi wrote:Yes.

In my opinion, losing a late third period lead is the worst way to lose a game.
This is just stupid.

You'd rather the guys be a total no-show, than make a mistake that costs them the lead late in the game? Thank goodness you're not behind the bench. Not to mention as a fan I get much more entertainment value out of close games than one-sided losses.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Did you watch 24/7? Came across is a complete moron. His lack of brains (for such a large cranium he's a shockingly dumb hockey player) is his greatest flaw and the number 1 reason he's not a franchise d-man.
You don't need 24/7 for this. Just watch any TSN Sportscentre. There will undoubtedly be an interview of Phaneuf at some point that leaves you wondering who left the lights on upstairs because nobody is home...
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Mëds wrote:Give your head a shake Toddler, and next time go look at some stats and recaps so you actually have half a clue about what you are talking about.

Since the Christmas break Vancouver has played 6 games, 4 of them back-to-back, the most recent being against LA and Anaheim, two of the toughest teams in the league. During those games Hamhuis has been very good, certainly not mistake free, but he's played well and he's played BIG minutes. Scuttlebutt was that it was during these games that the final decisions regarding team Canada were made, but I digress, Take a look.....

@ CGY: 29:22 and a +1
vs PHI: 32:30 and a +1
vs TB: 29:29 and even
@ LA: 27:38 and even
@ ANA: 31:32 and even
vs PIT: 26:53 and -2

The last 3 games were against 3 of the best teams in the league, and all of the back-to-backs involved at least one game on the road.

Maybe we should look at Toronto's schedule since the break too.....No? Ok, we will anyways.....

vs BUF: 25:56 and -1

None of Toronto's games were back-to-back. In fact, the leaves had 2 nights off between every game except the first two. None of those opponents are top teams, Buffalo is the last overall, Carolina sits 21st, Detroit is barely staying afloat and a single point above the leaves, the Rangers are in the final playoff spot by a nose, and the Islanders sit 26th, and other than a couple of players on the Rangers, none of those teams are going to come in and physically impose themselves on their opponents.

And Phaneuf still fucks up left and right.....but you're right Toddler, it's because he's playing the "tuff" minutes and logging tons of ice time. :roll:

I don't even know how you bring Phaneuf into the playoff argument here either.....he's never gone beyond the first round, and he's a career minus-18 when he gets there. Minus fucking 18!!!!! His mistakes last year, in what is surely the most epic series deciding game 7 meltdown of all time by any team, were hilarious.

Keep it up Toddler.

In that Isle's game, Bernier completely laid an egg btw; he was the 2nd coming of Cloutier. As for Hammer, yes, he played well for most of those games, but when does he make the mistakes? At crucial moments of the game, late in the game when we should seal the deal. Well, I guess I'm the only one who wants to have more "assholes" on this team. Phaneuf is a stupid "asshole", but an "asshole" none the less. :lol: U guys are happy with your goodie church/choir boys, that's fine. Nice good boyz, the type that u would bring home to meet your mother. :lol:

What did MG do in the offseason? He brought in Stanton, Magic Mike Santorelli and Richardson. Wooot! More good boyz for our team. We are set for the playoffs! The Kings, Ducks and Sharks are pissing in their pants. We are going to beat team cuz we're soft and cuddly, the care bear stare! :lol:

As far as playoffs go, Hammer accomplished shit in the playoffs until he was part of a stacked 2011 team. What's your point?
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

herb wrote:This is just stupid.

You'd rather the guys be a total no-show, than make a mistake that costs them the lead late in the game? Thank goodness you're not behind the bench. Not to mention as a fan I get much more entertainment value out of close games than one-sided losses.
Well, put it this way. If u are getting blown out every nite, u know your team sucks. U look forward to the future, hoping your team will get a great draft position and draft a bunch of great young players. If your team is in every game, but consistently finds a way to lose when it matters most against some of the best, it shows your team is caught in the middle. Not good enuff to beat the elite, but good enuff to beat the bottom feeders most nites, a team with all the signs of heading towards an early 1st round exit again.

So, pick your poison. Hope for the future (load up on young talent) vs a steady number years of mediocrity (make the playoffs, but bow out in 1st round). I'd personally rather just blow up a team and rebuild, but obviously there's no guarantee that sucking for a numbers of years will work (ie- Edmonton); however, if u play your cards right, it's the best way to build a Cup contender (ie- Chicago, L.A., Pittsburgh).

I fear our team is stuck in the middle. We just extended the Sedins and have a bunch of guys on long term no trade deals. I sense MG is trying to take San Jose's model, have some great veteran players (ie - Thornton, Marleau, Boyle) and compliment them with great young talent (ie - Couture, Pavelski). The hope is that our star players won't diminish too quickly as they are starting to age and that some of our young uns will develop and become impact players quickly (ie- BoHo, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, whatever). Anyways, I digress. Right now, we have what we have. The hope for the present is just make the playoffs, hopefully some of our guys will get hot and we become David and slay a bunch of GIANTS. :lol:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I'll take consistently making the playoffs with a good team over "loading up for the future" (i.e. the Edmonton model of continual failure) 100 times out of 100.

For what it's worth, the Canucks are 8-11-7 in 26 games against playoff teams, gaining 23 points out of those games. I have no idea how that stacks up against other playoff teams' records against playoff teams, but the bottom line for me is that despite the past four games we have made up significant ground on San Jose, Colorado, and LA over the past six weeks, not to mention we caught and passed Phoenix.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: In that Isle's game, Bernier completely laid an egg btw; he was the 2nd coming of Cloutier. As for Hammer, yes, he played well for most of those games, but when does he make the mistakes? At crucial moments of the game, late in the game when we should seal the deal. Well, I guess I'm the only one who wants to have more "assholes" on this team. Phaneuf is a stupid "asshole", but an "asshole" none the less. :lol: U guys are happy with your goodie church/choir boys, that's fine. Nice good boyz, the type that u would bring home to meet your mother. :lol:
LMAO. How many games has Hamhuis played since coming to Vancouver when Luongo has laid a rotten egg? Good argument Toddler.

Are you saying Phaneuf doesn't make mistakes at crucial moments of the game? That must be why Toronto has sealed so many deals this year, and why they are a team that allows the most shots per game.
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: What did MG do in the offseason? He brought in Stanton, Magic Mike Santorelli and Richardson. Wooot! More good boyz for our team. We are set for the playoffs! The Kings, Ducks and Sharks are pissing in their pants. We are going to beat team cuz we're soft and cuddly, the care bear stare! :lol:
So now this is about what Gillis did this past off-season.....way to jump tracks Toddler. You landed right in the middle of a totally unrelated conversation. Not that I don't think we need a few more assholes on this team, we do. But we didn't need them until we ran into Boston in 2011.....and that, just to bring the conversation back on point, was the year we signed Hamhuis, who was a big part of the success of our team that season, and he was instrumental in shutting down some of the top players he faced. In fact, I would go so far as to say that he was part of the tipping point in beating Chicago that year, we really didn't have many significant additions to the team other than him that year. Gone were Wellwood, Demitra, Bernier, and O'Brien. In were Higgins, Lapierre, Torres, and Hamhuis. All of them played a part, but Hamhuis was the guy who owned the most minutes and was out against the opponent's top lines.
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: As far as playoffs go, Hammer accomplished shit in the playoffs until he was part of a stacked 2011 team. What's your point?
Ray Bourque didn't win shit in the playoffs until he was traded to a ridiculously stacked Avalanche team. Phil Housley was shit too. Brad Park was an absolute disaster on skates. If you want this to be a little more current, Shea Weber, Hamhuis' old blueline partner, hasn't really accomplished shit in the playoffs either. How about Ryan Suter? PK Subban? Karlsson? Pietrangelo? Shattenkirk?

.....so what's your point?

Seriously Toddler, just quit sniffing Phaneuf's jock strap already.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Well Mëds, you're the one who brought up Dion's last few games and his playoff performance.
Mëds wrote: vs BUF: 25:56 and -1
I don't even know how you bring Phaneuf into the playoff argument here either.....he's never gone beyond the first round,
Anways honestly, I didn't even want to talk about Phaneuf anymore. It was Art and Island Canuck who brought it up. We're not going to agree on this one. I think we need a guy like Phaneuf to help our D core, u agree that we need more "assholes", but Dion is not the guy. Fair? Cheers. :rockin:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mondi wrote:And if you think 8-11-7 is a good or even acceptable record, I guess you're getting what you wish for--mediocrity.
FWIW.

The Hawks, the team most view as the creme de la creme of the NHL, are 10-4-9 in 23 games. Better than the Canucks to be sure, but not by a monstrous margin.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mondi wrote:FWIW, Chicago and Pittsburgh indicate that loading up for the future isn't doomed to fail. The Canucks already went that root in 1996-1997, 1997-1998, 1998-1999 and 1999-2000. And they are currently living off the fruits of that suckage. Daniel and Henrik.
Things were so bad in Pittsburgh before the best player in the league fell into their lap that the team couldn’t sell any tickets and nearly moved several times.

There was a similar situation in Chicago, where they couldn’t get the United Center even half full because the team was so shitty. The Blackhawks drafting high had them out of the playoffs for the better part of a decade and drafting gems like Tuomu Ruutu, Cam Barker, Jack Skille and Steve McCarthy. I remember Chicago being called the “worst franchise in pro sports”. Most of the Blackhawks existing core players weren’t even drafted all that high.

There are plenty of examples of bad teams who have drafted high for many years and still have no wins to show for it. Edmonton, Columbus, NYI and Florida show us there are no guarantees in drafting.

Quality players come from all over the place in the draft, and even as undrafted free agents these days. I much prefer having a winning culture, a steady flow of quality prospects, strong player development and a competitive team.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

herb wrote:
Mondi wrote:FWIW, Chicago and Pittsburgh indicate that loading up for the future isn't doomed to fail. The Canucks already went that root in 1996-1997, 1997-1998, 1998-1999 and 1999-2000. And they are currently living off the fruits of that suckage. Daniel and Henrik.
Things were so bad in Pittsburgh before the best player in the league fell into their lap that the team couldn’t sell any tickets and nearly moved several times.

There was a similar situation in Chicago, where they couldn’t get the United Center even half full because the team was so shitty. The Blackhawks drafting high had them out of the playoffs for the better part of a decade and drafting gems like Tuomu Ruutu, Cam Barker, Jack Skille and Steve McCarthy. I remember Chicago being called the “worst franchise in pro sports”. Most of the Blackhawks existing core players weren’t even drafted all that high.
Get your facts a little straighter there herb.

Chicago's fans bolted because of the previous owner. He was brutal. He alienated the fans and they quit coming out to games.

Exactly who do you consider to be the core of Chicago's team?

I'd say.....

Jonathan Toews (3rd overall)
Patrick Kane (1st overall)
Marian Hossa (12th overall)
Brent Seabrook (14th overall)
Duncan Keith (54th overall)
Patrick Sharp (95th overall)
Corey Crawford (52nd overall)

4 of their top 7 are top 15 picks, 2 of those guys are top 3.

Keith went late likely because he was scouted as a college player and they often get overlooked somewhat.

Considering he's not an all-star goaltender, Crawford actually went fairly high in the draft (2nd round) for a goaltender who isn't considered to be the second coming of Patrick Roy.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

herb wrote:Things were so bad in Pittsburgh before the best player in the league fell into their lap that the team couldn’t sell any tickets and nearly moved several times.
I think Pittsburgh tanked it to get Sid. They were a pretty good team in the early 2000s with a bunch of skilled Euros like Jagr, Straka, Lang and Kovalev. They were good players, but not the cast to win u a Stanley Cup. They saw Sid in the horizon and just blew up the team and got rid of all those guys. Well, they lucked out and won the Crosby sweepstakes. I don't think they saw Malkin becoming an elite player, but they got him as well. Hell, they know when to tank it; they probably did the same thing to get Super Mario. :cry: