Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by okcanuck »

You are right on Clam. I've been watching the NHL for more years than I want to admit,and Ive never seen such inconsistencies with the refs.
Buttman should get off his ass and straighten this mess up. They are losing credibility with the fans that really care about hockey.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

okcanuck wrote:You are right on Clam. I've been watching the NHL for more years than I want to admit,and Ive never seen such inconsistencies with the refs.
Buttman should get off his ass and straighten this mess up. They are losing credibility with the fans that really care about hockey.
Which is why he doesnt care. He wants to grow the game in the USA... he could care less about the on-ice product. Just look at all the outdoor games... novel idea, shitty hockey. Why care about "quality" when you can pack Dodger Stadium with 56,000 Californians?
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

okcanuck wrote:You are right on Clam. I've been watching the NHL for more years than I want to admit,and Ive never seen such inconsistencies with the refs.
I could be wrong, but in almost any other sport....a penalty is a penalty. Remember after the second to last lockout how the refs were? They were calling everything left right & center. You touch a player w/ your stick & you were called. It was ridiculous but it was fairly consistent. The league said the players would adapt. They actually started to. That was the when the D couldn't hold up the forechecker anymore & their partners were getting killed. So the NHL eased up...and it wasn't long (playoffs) before it was back to the old ways of inconsistent, even-up reffing. Always got to even up the calls, always got to give the losing team a chance to get back in it etc.

Case in point, tonight. With the Canucks up by 2 there were several occasions where the Pens could have been called and it would have been game over. Instead the refs "let them play" despite Canucks getting hauled down, cross-checked (Jokinen on Hamhuis), Neal lost his shit a few times out there etc. No calls despite all these transgressions. End result, the Pens had the opportunity to make the comeback which would normally be rare but near impossible w/ an additional call against or two. This isn't against the Canucks or anything, its all throughout the league. Its bizarre. Rather than policing the game the refs are there to almost make sure every game is close and the losing team has every opportunity to tie it up. The end result is the NHL probably has more cheating going on than any other sport...the players feel out the refs and try to get away w/ as much as they can. They also know when they can get away w/ a little extra and go for it. I know it happens in all sports but it just seems to be at another level in this league. Almost to the point of if you aren't cheating you aren't trying hard enough.

I'll go as far as to say the refs play a HUGE factor in NHL games.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Jovocop wrote:
If the refs actually call all the penalties as they should, the Canucks might come up with a win in Anaheim (assuming that Sestito stood in front of the net for the all the power plays).
If it's one thing we know it's that you can't rely on the ref's for anything, the ref's and injuries excuse can only be used for so long.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote:
SKYO wrote:I have succumbed to the fact that this team can't win it all this season,
What took you so long? It was nearly inevitable when the new CBA was signed a year ago and the cap was lowered. There was thought of some cap relief to help the matter from trading Luongo, but we know what happened there.

It was a big part of the reason I thought keeping at least one of Horvat/Gaunce/Shrinkwrap would have been beneficial.

I didn't expect the Canucks to be on the bottom of a dog fight for a playoff spot but a couple of teams are doing better than I expected.
Was hoping a 2nd line can form and be dominant this season, as good as the Higgins Kesler Santorelli line has/was been it quickly fizzled and now it's fairly evident we won't have a solid 2nd line till MG stops demanding so much in a trade plus stops being scared to make a deal, even a lateral type trade could pay dividends.

I too wished a youngster could make the squad to learn and develop this season, seeing as there was a low cap and this was going to be a status quo type season, why not bring along a talented young gun so that player can play even better in the 2014/15 season?

Gillis shouldn't have toyed with our hearts in the offseason!
“I want to have opportunities for young players on this team,” said Gillis.

“I think we’re at that stage where we have a very good team that is a veteran team, so those (younger) guys are going to play with good players, they’re not going to be exposed.

“I would like to have spots available for those guys to compete for.”
http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/7296 ... entre-job/
Still remains to be seen how Torts can handle/develop youngsters...Jeff Angus writes about that http://canucksarmy.com/2013/7/17/will-j ... ng-players
Is Tortorella better at developing young talent than Vigneault? I’m not sure.

He definitely gave more ice time to young players in New York, but the Rangers were a team with a lot of good young talent when he took over. How much credit goes to the coach for helping talented young hockey players improve? Vigneault took over a veteran team and did help the development of the core players we see today in Vancouver. How much credit should he take? And should he take blame for not giving Schroeder, Grabner, or Hodgson more minutes? Edler has developed into a really good defenseman.

The argument could be made that Vigneault didn’t have the luxury of a stocked prospect cupboard like Tortorella did in New York. But credit does have to go to Tortorella – he turned the Rangers into one of the best teams in the East while getting a lot younger (and cheaper). Year after year he seamlessly integrated very young forwards and defensemen into the lineup. And the Rangers will reap the rewards of this for a few years (provided Glen Sather doesn’t continue to spend his dollars on the open market as if there isn’t a salary cap).

Tortorella has some options this year in Vancouver. Could Bo Horvat become the Callahan of Vancouver? Is 20-year-old Frank Corrado ready for big minutes? How about 22-year-old Zack Kassian? Vigneault gave him time on the top unit, but he didn’t show enough consistency to stay there. I think Tortorella did a really good job of creating "roles" for his young guys in New York.

The Sedins are going to continue to be very good players for a while. But for the Canucks to get back to Stanley Cup contention, they need their young players (Jensen, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Lain, Kassian, Schroeder, Tanev, Corrado) to develop under Tortorella in Vancouver as well as Callahan, Dubinsky, Hagelin, Stepan, McDonagh, Staal, Anisimov, Del Zotto, and Girardi did in New York. A tall task? Most definitely. But Tortorella has shown that he is more than willing to put his trust in inexperienced players.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

twitter rumours..
Are you hearing Kane to Van is almost done? Reports out of Van have a package around Hansen, Guance and Tanev going to the Jets
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ClamRussel wrote:I could be wrong, but in almost any other sport....a penalty is a penalty.
Yeah nobody complains about officiating in other sports. Like traveling in basketball, am I right guys? :look:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

SKYO wrote:twitter rumours..
Are you hearing Kane to Van is almost done? Reports out of Van have a package around Hansen, Guance and Tanev going to the Jets

(Can't a guy get a decent :rolleyes: emoticon around here?)

Here's the timeline:

Guy who has no apparent connections to anyone says thing:
harry1619 wrote:@khatinthekar @VancityJC heard there's Kane to Vancouver rumblings
Noted rumour monger who got a thing right once and a lot of things wrong all the other times says same thing:
taj1944 wrote:Hearing the same thing RT @harry1619: @khatinthekar @VancityJC heard there's Kane to Vancouver rumblings
(Did you hear it from "harry1619" by any chance? :lol: )

Turns around and spouts the same thing to his 10x as many followers with no more added credibility than "this guy who talked about rumours once says this thing":
taj1944 wrote:From @harry1619 who first reported Parise to Van rumors, Canucks are offering Tanev and Hansen in a package for Kane.
Then pesters a bunch of journalists with said rumour and a decidedly hopeful "is it almost done?" cherry on top:
taj1944 wrote:. @garylawless Are you hearing Kane to Vancouver trade is close? Reports out of Van have Nucks offering Tanev,Hansen, Gaunce and 3rd rounder
taj1944 wrote:@saraorlesky Are you hearing Kane to Van is almost done? Reports out of Van have a package around Hansen, Guance and Tanev going to the Jets
taj1944 wrote:@rickralphtsn You hearing that Kane to Van is almost done? Reports out of Van have Hansen, Tanev, Gauce + pick going other way
Presto, by modern sports journalism standards, actual "reports" out of Vancouver actually do indicate the Canucks have made a specific offer for Evander Kane!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

dbr wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:I could be wrong, but in almost any other sport....a penalty is a penalty.
Yeah nobody complains about officiating in other sports. Like traveling in basketball, am I right guys? :look:
In the NFL, the Seahawk's defence plays the rules as the Bruins do. Challenging the officials to throw a flag on every play. The 49ers do like wise with Harbaugh continuously working the officials like Quennville does with the Blackhawks.

All four of those teams are having success.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

SKYO wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
If the refs actually call all the penalties as they should, the Canucks might come up with a win in Anaheim (assuming that Sestito stood in front of the net for the all the power plays).
If it's one thing we know it's that you can't rely on the ref's for anything, the ref's and injuries excuse can only be used for so long.
I wasn't using it as an excuse. However, the refs are really driving fans nuts. They try to be consistent but they turn out to be consistently inconsistent. They try not to decide the game but they end up evening out the penalties. What kind of logic is that?? Clam got it there. It is just freaking bizarre.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Jovocop wrote:
would have a Stanley Cup.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

dbr wrote:
SKYO wrote:twitter rumours..

(Can't a guy get a decent :rolleyes: emoticon around here?)

Here's the timeline:

Turns around and spouts the same thing to his 10x as many followers with no more added credibility than "this guy who talked about rumours once says this thing":

Then pesters a bunch of journalists with said rumour and a decidedly hopeful "is it almost done?" cherry on top:
lol yeah HENCE! I didn't put his name so he can get more internet fame for some bs. :D

But besides that it seems fairly evident MG would be in high pursuit of Kane.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

SKYO wrote:lol yeah HENCE! I didn't put his name so he can get more internet fame for some bs. :D
Oh I just thought you were embarrassed to be circulating one of his rumours. ;)
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

dbr wrote:
SKYO wrote:lol yeah HENCE! I didn't put his name so he can get more internet fame for some bs. :D
Oh I just thought you were embarrassed to be circulating one of his rumours. ;)
The thread has 31 pages of made up shit, and you're going to call a guy out for a twitter rumour? :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:
dbr wrote: Here's the timeline:

lol yeah HENCE! I didn't put his name so he can get more internet fame for some bs. :D

But besides that it seems fairly evident MG would be in high pursuit of Kane.
A few thoughts regarding this rumor as it pertains to Tanev.....

I would be a little surprised if Gillis is offering Tanev in any deal right now. The kid is playing his best hockey, eating some big minutes without skipping a beat, and the Canucks are pretty thin on the blueline right now due to injuries. If Stanton and Edler are close to coming back then maybe.....

I haven't been paying attention to Frankie Corrado though during his call-up, if he's looking better than losing Tanev might not hurt so much.

Tanev was a difficult re-signing this summer for Gillis, and likely will be again this year as his game looks to have taken another step forward. Moving him now might be the best option as there are a few other players who will need new contracts with a bit of a raise. Santorelli and Kassian are the big ones, I can see Santorelli seeking as much as $2M next year, and Kassian will probably be in the $1.5M range, both at a max of 3 years.

If a deal like this were made salary going both ways would be pretty close, and Booth will likely be bought out or traded for a bag of pucks. So who knows.

This deal seems too good to be true for the Canucks, but at the same time the Jets desperately need help keeping the puck out of their own net, and both Hansen and Tanev bring that.