Sestito

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Sestito

Post by ClamRussel »

Gotta say, I'm really starting to like Sestito's game these days.

By far, the most improved Canuck and I think most of it is owed to Torts and his push for Sestito to improve his conditioning. Perhaps he's finally getting it and in the offseason he should hire someone like Roberts to put him to the grindstone.

Like most I'm sure, I saw him as a big thug who couldn't really skate...and, although willing, couldn't really fight either. Lately he is skating much better, his hockey sense is pretty good, he knows where to go and his hand are actually impressive for that breed of player.

As a 19 year old he scored fairly well in junior which would indicate he indeed has decent hands 60gp 42-22-64 135pim and in the playoffs 19gp 11-6-17 57pim.

I wasn't exactly thrilled w/ Gillis resigned him in the summer but perhaps there is something there. Might make a decent 3rd liner someday but in the meantime its nice to know the 4th line could potentially score from time to time. I think the refs overreact on his big hits personally and give him far too many penalties. Irregardless, I hope he keeps doing what he's doing because we need more guys who bring it on a regular basis. Kassian & Weise should take note. That hit on Williams last night was a freight train!
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Re: Sestito

Post by RyanGinger »

If anyone has a replay of when he tried deking around a King on a 1-on-1 please show
22-33-17
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

RyanGinger wrote:If anyone has a replay of when he tried deking around a King on a 1-on-1 please show
Hey, it almost worked! :lol:

Seriously, Sestito's play has definitely picked up this season and after last night in LA the team could use more of what he brings to the table (ie-willing to staple somebody for the sake of it, will drop'em when needed, plays hard).

He's one of the guys on this team that, IMO, has thrived the most under Tortorella. Hopefully he keeps this up.

From clown to keeper? Not a bad season even if it is still only halfway there.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

No doubt I'm the original Sestito fan round the interwebz. :D

He's clearly our #1 bodychecker, not only in terms of the number of hits but the ruthlessness of it, he's like Torres in that regard.

Still hoping for the 5-7 goals per season. hah
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

SKYO wrote:No doubt I'm the original Sestito fan round the interwebz. :D

He's clearly our #1 bodychecker, not only in terms of the number of hits but the ruthlessness of it, he's like Torres in that regard.

Still hoping for the 5-7 goals per season. hah
Absolutely, Sestito's timing is impeccable. He can accelerate very fast in a very short amount of time when checking opposition players into the board.

He also seems to be a very intelligent player unlike Torres and O'Brien. I have yet to see him go nutso and he's willing to drop the gloves every single time.

Good signing by ol bug eyes right RD?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Oooooooh, an elite fourth line turd. Sure his heart is in the right place, he willing to loose a fight to anyone, but his skates and hands can't get there.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

OMG Toppy, have you ever agreed with Clambo on... anything? :eh:

I mean it's not like Clam is suggesting Sestito becomes the third twin (triplet?).

(though I heard Pauser wants the twins to join Sestito on the 4th line but let's not go there) :mrgreen:

C'mon buddy, sure Tom is a 4th liner, but y'gotta admit he's playing well of late amirite?

Better a solid 4th liner than a crappy 4th liner amirite? :mex:

Now give Clam a hug and repeat after me: We are all Canucks.

Peace on Earth, goodwill toward all (except Leaf sympathizers of course).
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

So far so good for Sestito! yeah buddy! :D
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Saw in the highlights Torts used him as the net presence on the PP. I'd go as far as to say he's a much better choice than Higgins (in a Chicago-era-Bfuglien type role). Harder to move and a bigger body for the screen. I don't like Higgins there as he's not big enough to create much, Kesler's shot is wasted there, Kassian should be the guy. Hopefully he doesn't have a concussion.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Shows the desperation of a terrible PP when Daniel is on the point and Sestito is in front of the net.

A fire plug on the edge of the crease (good thing they weren't playing the coyotes) who did not screen or limit Hiller in any way.

Then the jackass kicked like a mule.

Was I disagreeing with Clam? How was I to know?

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Sestito is contributing a lot more than Weise or Dalpe
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Sestito is contributing a lot more than Weise or Dalpe
Problem is, that's not saying much.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

ClamRussel wrote:Saw in the highlights Torts used him as the net presence on the PP. I'd go as far as to say he's a much better choice than Higgins (in a Chicago-era-Bfuglien type role). Harder to move and a bigger body for the screen. I don't like Higgins there as he's not big enough to create much, Kesler's shot is wasted there, Kassian should be the guy. Hopefully he doesn't have a concussion.
I totally agree. I'm glad Torts finally did something to change up our PP a bit, by putting Sestito out there, something yours truly advocated before. :P

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9721&p=185576&hilit ... to#p185576

I'm not saying Sestito should be out on the 1st unit PP all the time, but using Sestito there gives us more options and gives our PP a diferent look. Sestito can use his big frame to screen the goalie and stick his butt in their faces in a Buffy kind of way. He's easily our biggest player and that makes it tougher for the D-men to handle him causing some havoc there. Although Sestito has a big frame, he does seem kind of skinny, I wish he had a bit more mass. :P

I like Kes on the left circle more too cuz he has a good shot and is a threat there. I think Sestito has under-rated hands as well, probably not a great shot, but has pretty good co-ordination to pickup pucks, a long reach and he's pretty good @ tucking it five hole. Mix that with his huge frame and he's almost perfect for a stand in front of the net PP kind of guy. :D
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I totally agree. I'm glad Torts finally did something to change up our PP a bit, by putting Sestito out there, something yours truly advocated before. :P

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9721&p=185576&hilit ... to#p185576
All you need to know.

herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

That was a pretty sweet concussion inducing roundhouse kick to Kassian's face last night...fuck I hate Sestito.