Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by rats19 »

Pretty shoughty vader
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Nonis' strength always was in contract negotiations. At least, it was when he was here in Van city.

Yes, it is true DP was the best D-man available for TO moving forward, and it is entirely up for debate how adequate he is as a #1D. I for one love the fact TO re-signed him, because I do think he is over-rated, over-valued and the perfect joke for TO to stitch a 'C' on.

Having said all of that, word on the tweet is that the sticking point for getting the deal done was the NTC. Nonis insisted on a modified clause and, evidently Phaneuf had to agree to a list of more than 10 teams he could be dealt to.

Is that the kind of respect a franchise d-man and team captain commands?

Good job Nonis.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

BladesofSteel wrote:Phaneuf had to agree to a list of more than 10 teams he could be dealt to.

Good job Nonis.
Yep. He won't commit term to anyone, but money is no biggie. All his NTC players (Kessel, Clarkson, Lupul, Bozak, JVR, Phaneuf, recently acquired Tim Gleason) except Paul Ranger have conditions in their deals where they need to provide a list of teams. Good for Nonis, if he believes these guys won't live up to the deals he's agreed to. But he won't have a Luongo-style situation where a player can dictate exactly where they want to go.

Looking at the salaries being paid, he also hasn't gotten any home-town discounts. In fact, some of those contracts (Clarkson, Gleason, Phaneuf potentially) are downright awful for either term, cost, or both and could be impossible to move regardless.

Another problem is moving these big-salaried guys is hard. The teams they will accept trades to usually don't include Edmonton, Phoenix, Columbus or the other low-income teams of the league that would have the better draft picks/prospects, and the Detroit's/NYR/Chicago's/Boston's/Pittsburgh's of the world aren't likely to give up lots for under-performing rentals.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

BladesofSteel wrote:Having said all of that, word on the tweet is that the sticking point for getting the deal done was the NTC. Nonis insisted on a modified clause and, evidently Phaneuf had to agree to a list of more than 10 teams he could be dealt to.

Good job Nonis.
In JFJr's wake, yes.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: if u want to take some shots @ someone, just be prepared to take it back. :P
:eh:

Man, that's profound...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Gilbert Brule is apparently going to retire from hockey.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/brul ... om-hockey/

Christ, what a career this guy had. WHL Playoff MVP, to 6th overall selection, to cut from Phoenix, in the span of about 10 years.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

BurningBeard wrote:Gilbert Brule is apparently going to retire from hockey.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/brul ... om-hockey/

Christ, what a career this guy had. WHL Playoff MVP, to 6th overall selection, to cut from Phoenix, in the span of about 10 years.
Seems to be another example of how off-ice issues can really derail a guy's career. Wish him well in whatever career he pursues from here on in.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

“He decided that he didn’t want to live out of a suitcase anymore, was sick of living at hotels, and told me he was going to quit hockey – maybe become a firefighter.
Wow. Good luck with that... it will take him a decade+ to make what one NHL season would've paid him.

Still a PPG player in the AHL making $135K per. Have fun polishing the truck, probie.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

^ According to CapGeek Brule has already made over $4M. Chances are he's not exactly hurting for cash. If playing hockey is not making him happy, then he should move onto something else. Plenty of other players don't make it and move onto other endeavors.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

herb wrote:^ According to CapGeek Brule has already made over $4M. Chances are he's not exactly hurting for cash. If playing hockey is not making him happy, then he should move onto something else. Plenty of other players don't make it and move onto other endeavors.

herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

^ You should call up Mr. Brule and give him your life advice. I'm sure he'd appreciate it.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Thanks for coming out of the closet Todd!!

I've long-suspected you were a Leaf-loving son of a bitch...
Wow, nice man. I say the leaves are a darkhorse playoff team and I'm automatically a Laffs fan?
Ummm what part of "long-suspected" did you... not... understand? :roll:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: For what it's worth, I do like the Laffs.
Thanks for coming out of the closet... again?
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Strangelove wrote: HOLY SHIT, THAT'S $500K PER POUND!!! :shock:

SON OF A BITCH!! :lol:

This crazy son of a bitch would pay Byfuglien $32.5m per year!! :wow:

That supposed to be funny? I'm not even going to comment on it, but I have been on record that I would luv to see Buffy in a Canucks uniform. I said before that Buffy is 1 guy I would overpay to get, but I meant in terms of player assets. I guess technically Aqua-man would be paying him, what do I care if we gave Buffy $32M/year. :lol:
For a guy who was "not even going to comment on it", that was a decent amount of commenting. :D

If you understood anything about today's salary-cap NHL you would understand why $32m is bad for a team.

Not to mention impossible. :hmmm:

And yes, it was supposed to be funny.

And twas.

But you weren't the intended audience, so don't you worry your pretty little head about it none Todd. :mrgreen:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Stranglove wrote: Two can play this game you Canuck-hating Leaf-loving son of a bitch...

Like I said, Phaneuf is stupid.

Anyone have any idea why the Toddster identifies with him? :?

Is it the fact his heart belongs to Toronto... or is there more here? :)
So now I'm a "Canuck-hating Leaf-loving son" for:

a) thinking the leaves will be darkhorse playoff team
b) wanting a blueliner with some muscle on the Canucks to throw out there against the likes of the Sharks, Ducks, Kings.
First of all it was "_ _ _ _ _ _ Canuck-hating Leaf-loving son of a bitch"

(NOT surprised you missed that first part).

a) You've already admitted to being a Leaf-lover.
b) You said you'd gladly pay $2.5m for 5 extra pounds of muscle (umm salary-cap NHL, Todd). :wink:
c) You have long had the reputation of being a bed-wetting “Canuck-hater” in these parts.
d) You're Phaneufishly _ _ _ _ _ _ and your father was a bitch

(trust me, I know about that last part in the same way I knew about you being a Leaf-lover).

Always a pleasure Todd. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: I'll give u that, but nearly knocking off the big bad Bs in the first round last year was impressive. Diane played a big role in that leaves team.
Yup, Pylon Diane played a HUGE role in... the most epic collapse in NHL history!! :lol:

Minus 6 in the series, MINUS 2 in Game 7.
Yes, the leaves fucked up and blew a huge lead, we all KNOW that, but I go back to my original point. For a team that no one expected to even make the playoffs and they take the Big Bad Bs (recent Cup winners and 2013 finalist) to 7 games, it is still a damn IMPRESSIVE feat.

Refusing to fight Lucic in Game 7 prompted this reaction from Milan in the post-game "hand"shake:

Lucic: "If you wanna win a round, you need to grow a pair". :lol:
First of all, unless u can read lips, we don't really know what Lucic said. Secondly, Lucic is a tough customer and I like him alot, but there are times that he hasn't exactly been the model tuff guy as well. He has been yellow and played chicken before.

Petition started by Leaf fans on May 15, 2013 - 2 days after the Leaves were eliminated by the Boston Bruins:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/trade-phaneuf/

Article from MAY 16, 2013:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gran ... touchable/
Phaneuf not untouchable

Nonis, for example, said he would trade Dion Phaneuf, the team’s captain and the best defenseman albeit in a fairly shallow pool. And he said it without flinching. I asked him and Nonis said an unblinking “yes” before I’d even finished the question.

Phaneuf... a bum who got walked around or pushed around in front of his own net for last-minute goals in Game 6 and Game 7 against the Boston Bruins, part of his minus-6 mark for the series.
"Phaneuf not untouchable".... GET IT?? :wink:

Long-time season ticket holder Dave Perron 2 months ago on extending Phaneuf:

Apparently many o' fan agree with many o' NHLer that Dion Phaneuf is "overrated"...

Not that there's anything "wrong" with your love for Diane there... Todd. :thumbs:
Phaneuf is not untouchable. For sure, I agree with ya. No one is. If the Great One can be traded, anyone can be had for the right price.

Lots of fans are unhappy with the Phaneuf contract, no doubt; however, there are fans who think it's a good move as well. U can check out the link if u want. It pretty much reflects the pros and cons of the Phaneuf contract that is already mentioned in some of the threads here.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=440077

As far as your 2nd video goes, I thought it was leaf fans yelling "over-rated", then I see these 2 leaves cheering. There are also guys yelling "Go Sens Go" and I remembered that game was in Ottawa. Seriously man, what do u think Sens fans will say when a Toronto player gets selected? They have a good rivalry going no? U might want to note that @ this game, Phaneuf was one of the two non-Sens players voted in by the fans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NHL_All-Star_Game

Phaneuf is kind of like Lou here in Vancouver (there are some that luv him and there are some that don't like him). The emotions for Phaneuf are probably much stronger. Lastly, if Phaneuf is good enuff for Big Z, he's good enuff for me. :P
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote: a) You've already admitted to being a Leaf-lover.
b) You said you'd gladly pay $2.5m for 5 extra pounds of muscle (umm salary-cap NHL, Todd). :wink:
c) You have long had the reputation of being a bed-wetting “Canuck-hater” in these parts.
d) You're Phaneufishly _ _ _ _ _ _ and your father was a bitch

(trust me, I know about that last part in the same way I knew about you being a Leaf-lover).
OK, I won't comment on all that other crap because it's nothing but that. I'm going to try to be a gentleman and avoid personally attacking u, so we can hopefully put this to an end.

a) I already said I like the Laffs, but u are forgetting the other Cdn teams (Oil, Sens, Flames, Habs, Jets) that I mentioned. Hell, throw in the Nords. I'm not the only one that conveniently leaves out info. :lol:

b) and 2 inches taller. *LOL* Seriously, Hammer always seemed to be a bit on the small side for me, especially when he's standing next to somone like Edler. So who would u throw out to play against Thornton, Getzlaf, Kopitar? Edler has the size, but he cracks under pressure. Alberts has the muscle, but I dunno, it might not be pretty. Hammer? He just seems a bit too small to handle that kind of muscle. We have used him in those situations before and he just doesn't seem to matchup well vs those type of guys (ie - trying to play physical vs Lucic). I always felt alot of our D-men are kind of the same, bunch of good two-way average sized guys (ie - Hammer, Bieksa, Tanev, Stanton, even Corrado and Baltard before). We have 2 guys that do have the size (Edler and Alberts), but one is pretty inconsistent and the other is barely a top 6 D-man. I do think a guy like Diane would bolster our blueline in a HUGE way. :lol: I always liked a guy like Bryan Allen or Mike Komasarek as well, just to give our D core a diffent ingredient, something that would complement our team more. Well, we have what we have, we'll just go with our guys and hope for the best. MG's motto. :lol:

c) I think u are refering to when u said the Nucks were going to win the cup last season and I said they were not going to. I offered a friendly wager with u with the proceeds going to charity, but to put it nicely, u declined. Well, think what u want. Seriously, I don't really care and I'm sure no one here really cares either. I have got nothing to prove to u or anyone here.

d) I would luv to have Dion in our lineup, sure, we all got that. In reality, we all know that is NOT going to happen, so there's no real point arguing about it. U made fun of my old man, I made fun of your mom, we're even.

If u wanna take more shots @ me, go ahead. I think I'm getting kind of tired of this sewage and I wasted enuff time in it. Not sure I really care anymore.
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

Quit while you are ahead Odd Todd. You are getting abused in this thread. And your weak responses to the cold hard truth that Dion is an overpaid bum are doing nothing to help your case. Phaneuf is not a better player than Hamhuis , not to mention Komisarik is a fucking bum .