World Juniors

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: World Juniors

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: I put this on Sutter and Patterson. Patterson didn't close the door, despite his team battling and answering every Czech goal in short order. Sutter should have gone with Fucale after the third goal, and even for the tournament. Fucale isn't known as a world-beater every game, but he has a reputation for making the big saves when they are needed and for showing up in big games.....almost every game in this tournament is a "big game".
Almsot Luongo-esque, wasn't it? :lol: No real groaners, but missing that one big save to give the team a W. I don't think you can hang that one on the goalie, however. Both Faceoff goals were scrambled, the first one saw Dumba standing in no man's land, not committing to the lose puck, nor looking for the man. The second one was a wicked shot, and although he might have had it, I don't think it's the kind of goal you hang your head after giving up.

The team in front of him looked scrambly in their own zone at times. They lacked offensive urgency until they were down. I'm sure Sutter will be pissed after that. They seemed okay with sitting back after tying the score, and only really threatened when down a goal.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Mëds wrote: I put this on Sutter and Patterson. Patterson didn't close the door, despite his team battling and answering every Czech goal in short order. Sutter should have gone with Fucale after the third goal, and even for the tournament. Fucale isn't known as a world-beater every game, but he has a reputation for making the big saves when they are needed and for showing up in big games.....almost every game in this tournament is a "big game".
Almsot Luongo-esque, wasn't it? :lol: No real groaners, but missing that one big save to give the team a W. I don't think you can hang that one on the goalie, however. Both Faceoff goals were scrambled, the first one saw Dumba standing in no man's land, not committing to the lose puck, nor looking for the man. The second one was a wicked shot, and although he might have had it, I don't think it's the kind of goal you hang your head after giving up.

The team in front of him looked scrambly in their own zone at times. They lacked offensive urgency until they were down. I'm sure Sutter will be pissed after that. They seemed okay with sitting back after tying the score, and only really threatened when down a goal.
Yeah, you're right I suppose. That was the Vancouver Canucks out there for sure. :lol:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fuck, the Canuck homerism is painful, hate this shit. Horvat dropped the ball on that goal right off the face off, it was his man, the other centre, who got on the loose puck which was directly behind Horvat and got it on net for a goal. Horvats job is to tie the opposing centre up after the puck is dropped that is his check, nobody else's

I like Horvat. I see him as a bigger bodied Brenden Morrison, not as fast, but as good in the defensive centreman kind of way who can chip in offensively. Won't score a
Huge amount if goals but definitely a core player
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mantha - not pretty, but is a pure goal scorer. Who wouldn't like someone with a nose for scoring? Franzen is a great comparison
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:Fuck, the Canuck homerism is painful, hate this shit. Horvat dropped the ball on that goal right off the face off, it was his man, the other centre, who got on the loose puck which was directly behind Horvat and got it on net for a goal. Horvats job is to tie the opposing centre up after the puck is dropped that is his check, nobody else's
Fuck me, you do realize you're on a Canucks fan site, right? Nope, no homers here, why would Canuck fans cheer for their team/prospects. We can't all be shit-stain toting meltdowns like you, dude... some of us like to view the positive.

Anyways, on that draw, with Canada shorthanded, there's no way you can allow their centre to get though and score there. Yes, Horvat lost the draw. If you watch the replay, you'll see Dumba move towards the puck, then stop and checks himself inside the faceoff circle, and the Czech player scores. Dumba skates well and can shoot, but in his own zone he's been quite average at this tourney. As a guy who was gifted a spot because of his status as an "NHL player" he's been solidly outplayed by a 17 year old.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Southern_Canuck wrote: What a crazy game! Plutnar is fortunate that the officials didn't throw the book at him for purposefully knocking the linesman over - you don't see that every day.

S_C
Mëds wrote: If that had been a North American player who tossed the linesman to get at McDavid he would have been gone for the tournament. Bullshit.
There will be a hearing with the disciplinary committee today.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Is it Plutnar's fault if the linesman can't skate? :lol:

I don't see it as a real attack on him...
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Fuck, the Canuck homerism is painful, hate this shit. Horvat dropped the ball on that goal right off the face off, it was his man, the other centre, who got on the loose puck which was directly behind Horvat and got it on net for a goal. Horvats job is to tie the opposing centre up after the puck is dropped that is his check, nobody else's
Fuck me, you do realize you're on a Canucks fan site, right? Nope, no homers here, why would Canuck fans cheer for their team/prospects. We can't all be shit-stain toting meltdowns like you, dude... some of us like to view the positive.

Anyways, on that draw, with Canada shorthanded, there's no way you can allow their centre to get though and score there. Yes, Horvat lost the draw. If you watch the replay, you'll see Dumba move towards the puck, then stop and checks himself inside the faceoff circle, and the Czech player scores. Dumba skates well and can shoot, but in his own zone he's been quite average at this tourney. As a guy who was gifted a spot because of his status as an "NHL player" he's been solidly outplayed by a 17 year old.

You guys are the only ones in the hockey world that blamed Dumba on that goal, everyone else blames Horvat. Pure Homerism. I love Horvat but I hate homerism, call a spade a spade

Fact of the matter, Horvat was lazy on the play, no way he should have let his check scoop the puck up behind him line that, the highlight clearly shows him lamely letting the Czech centre get by him to the loose puck. He needs to bear down there
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Fuck me, you do realize you're on a Canucks fan site, right? Nope, no homers here, why would Canuck fans cheer for their team/prospects. We can't all be shit-stain toting meltdowns like you, dude... some of us like to view the positive.
This is same shit bountiful is full of.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Merikins beat Germans 8-0.
Sweden beats Norway 10-0.

Both Sweden and the US have played three games, have three regulation time wins and 19 goals for, but whereas Sweden has allowed 5 goals against, the US has only allowed 4! :shock:

The real test will be on New Year's Eve when Sweden plays Russia and the US plays Canada.
After that we'll know how the playoffs will be seeded.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

:mrgreen: The Czechs beat Canada and the Germans beat the Czechs, who's better now than each other...... for Topper :rockin:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Loss to... Sorry an asskicking by the swedes in pretourney,
5 goals against in the czechowski game
And now 3 more against in the slovak game

This does not bode well at all.

Sutter better be digging deep into his bag of tricks to get this ford truck to start...
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Canada need to play more 5 on 5, Capt Obvious at it again.

This team seems to be lacking the stick to stick passing I am used to.

They pulled out a win today but need to be a lot better tomorrow against the USA.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Couple of nice upsets today! Finland beat Russia (who had looked unbeatable so far) 4-1 and Germany beat the Czechs 3-0! 8-)

A little while ago the Slovaks were also ahead 3-2 against Canada and Norway 1-0 against the Swiss.
Seems like Canada managed to turn that game around though, and I seriously doubt Norway can win a game in this tournament. But still.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I watched a bit of the CAN-SLO game, pretty much just to see how BoHo was playing. Wasn't overly impressed with what I saw. Just nothing aggressive out of him - made the safe play and tried not to get burned.

Read on a blog that his play hasn't been the same since he took a shot to the head cutting into the crease in the GER game. Wonder if his head's screwed on straight.

On the flip-side, Maple Leaf prospect Gauthier looks like a dud. Lazar looks to be one of the few with some zip to his game.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.