Milan Lucic involved in Bar Fight in Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Milan Lucic involved in Bar Fight in Vancouver

Post by The Brown Knight »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: What'd Toews do? I thought he was one of they classy guys in hockey. I put him up with the Yzerman/Linden types.

Toews isn't all that classy in my opinion. He's not a complete dirtbag, but he does tend to run his mouth quite a bit.

Silly stuff such as, "we're going to expose them for what they really are" (in response to a media member's question when the Hawks were down 3-0 to the Canucks during the 2011 series). He's made a few comments like that. You NEVER heard guys like Sakic, Bourque, Gretzky, Yzerman, Scott Stevens, etc., saying stuff like that. Ever.

However - Toews gets a pass from most media members because outside of Sidney Crosby, him and Pat Kane are the two biggest NHL media darlings.

Guys like Yzerman, Sakic, Gretzky, Lemieux, Bourque, Iginla, Kariya, Stevens, Niedermayer, Brodeur, etc., etc. NEVER trash talked outside the arena. True class acts through and through.

I know in my list a few weeks ago, I chastised guys like Toews, Doughty, Richards, Thornton, Keith, Lucic, and Seabrook on here (perhaps implying that I was only singling them out since they represented rival teams), but consider the following:

Anze Kopitar, Jonathan Quick, Patrick Marleau, Marian Hossa, Patrick Sharp, David Kreijicki (sic), Patrice Bergeron, and Tuuka Raask. To the best of my knowledge, I have never criticised them or spoken ill about them despite them being on rival teams. Why? Because - they are class acts through and through.

Even in years' past when the Avalanche made the Canucks taste their dicks all throughout the late 90's, I never once criticised guys like Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg. Claude Lemieux and Patrick Roy? I attacked a lot because both men are and were douchebags.

Iginla and Kipper in Calgary? Same thing. I never spoke badly about them ever. Dion Phaneuf? Complete piece of shit.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

The Brown Knight wrote: Toews isn't all that classy in my opinion. He's not a complete dirtbag, but he does tend to run his mouth quite a bit.

Silly stuff such as, "we're going to expose them for what they really are" (in response to a media member's question when the Hawks were down 3-0 to the Canucks during the 2011 series). He's made a few comments like that. You NEVER heard guys like Sakic, Bourque, Gretzky, Yzerman, Scott Stevens, etc., saying stuff like that. Ever.
Hmmm, I don't see that as being too bad. Our 2011 team was a great team, but it still had some flaws. Toews saw it and backed it up by leading the Hawks to almost come back and take the series, despite being down 3-0. I remember that year at the NHL awards, the Canucks cleaned house. There was a video of him talking with Loungo, he was shaking Lou's hand and tell him: man, I thought u guys had it.

On the ice, I think he's a pretty clean player. He leads by example and demands a lot out of his teammates. The guy knows how to win, 2 cups and a gold medal. I never thought he was that good till I saw him in the 2010 olympics. The guy can do it all, check, grind it out, score. Whatever u want him to do, he'll do. He doesn't get phased with the pressure and has nerves of steel; just look at him the shootouts; he's money in the bank. He's like Trevor, but with a higher skill set to step up in big games.

On one of the NHL networks, Marty Turco and Theo Fleury got asked who is your 2014 Team Canada captain, Sid the Kid or Toews? They said it's hard to take it away from Sid cuz he had it in 2010, but if it was up to them, they go with Toews. I side with Turco and Fleury on that one.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Hmmm, I don't see that as being too bad. Our 2011 team was a great team, but it still had some flaws. Toews saw it and backed it up by leading the Hawks to almost come back and take the series, despite being down 3-0. I remember that year at the NHL awards, the Canucks cleaned house. There was a video of him talking with Loungo, he was shaking Lou's hand and tell him: man, I thought u guys had it.
Just because it's true, doesn't mean it's a classy thing to do or say. Ryan Kesler also made true comments about Luongo during the Olympics (i.e. he's fighting the puck, I hate Canada, etc.), and he came across as a scum bag. Luongo chirped about Tim Thomas after Game 5 and he ended up coming across as a douche......even though what Luongo said was both true and not even a complete insult to Thomas (i.e. Lou said that TT would make saves that he himself might not make).

Real legends let their actions on the ice do the talking. This is something that I hope Kesler, Luongo, and Toews learn one day.
On the ice, I think he's a pretty clean player. He leads by example and demands a lot out of his teammates. The guy knows how to win, 2 cups and a gold medal. I never thought he was that good till I saw him in the 2010 olympics. The guy can do it all, check, grind it out, score. Whatever u want him to do, he'll do. He doesn't get phased with the pressure and has nerves of steel; just look at him the shootouts; he's money in the bank. He's like Trevor, but with a higher skill set to step up in big games.
Toews is a clean player for the most part. I just think the off ice remarks that he makes every now and then, puts him a notch below guys like Yzerman, Iginla, Bourque, Sakic, etc. When the Canucks defeated Dallas in the first round in 2007, I never heard guys like Modano and Turco saying, "I hope the Canucks lose in the next round, etc." Toews on the other hand, told reporters that he hoped the Canucks lose to the Bruins.

When Colorado and Detroit had their rivalry going, you never heard guys like Sakic and Yzerman saying, "I hope that team loses in the finals." Ditto for guys like Gretzky, Messier, and Joe Niewendyk during the late 80's Battle of Alberta. All the talking was done through actions on the ice.
On one of the NHL networks, Marty Turco and Theo Fleury got asked who is your 2014 Team Canada captain, Sid the Kid or Toews? They said it's hard to take it away from Sid cuz he had it in 2010, but if it was up to them, they go with Toews. I side with Turco and Fleury on that one.
Toews has two cups to Crosby's one and so I wouldn't be opposed to the idea.

However - since Crosby was the captain in 2010, I'd go with him again. If you hand Toews the captaincy at this stage, it could rub Crosby the wrong way. If the wheel ain't broke, why fix it?

Theo Fleury is another classless jack off, that is trying desperately to cash in on his tragedies from childhood.

The Dark Indian Rises
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

The Brown Knight wrote:Real legends let their actions on the ice do the talking. This is something that I hope Kesler, Luongo, and Toews learn one day.
There's a difference amongst those 3, one of them knows how to win.

Theo Fleury is another classless jack off, that is trying desperately to cash in on his tragedies from childhood.
I feel bad for Theo. Yes, it may be a way for him to stay in the limelight, but he was still a great player for a long time and he has some interesting tidbits from his experiences and his knowledge about the game. It's nice to see him on TV on some of those panels, maybe he should go into coaching. Burkie should bring him on as an Assistant in Cow Town. :)
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:There's a difference amongst those 3, one of them knows how to win.
A little harsh don't you think? Or do you not have any respect for Luongo's Gold Medal? Lets also keep in mind that Kesler's playing during the Olympics that year was also off-the-charts excellent. He was one of USA's best players during the tournament, and in those final games. They simply lost to a better Canadian team.......and even then, it could have gone either way.

During the 2011 playoffs, Kesler was a beast against both Chicago (defensively) and Nashville (defensively and offensively). He most likely would have continued that way if it wasn't for the serious injuries (yes, plural) that he suffered during the San Jose series. Even in Game 7 against Boston, Kesler on one leg was probably our best player and was doing everything in his power to create something.

I feel bad for Theo. Yes, it may be a way for him to stay in the limelight, but he was still a great player for a long time and he has some interesting tidbits from his experiences and his knowledge about the game. It's nice to see him on TV on some of those panels, maybe he should go into coaching. :)
Theo Fleury was a great player, no doubt. No argument from me there.

The Dark Indian Rises