OOTS: 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: OOTS: 2013-14

Post by Strangelove »

Penguins had litterly half their team out... still beat the Leaves.

The Leaves SUCK, their young goaltenders, standing on their heads, carried them to start the season.

But that only lasts so long, eventually all that "being hung out to dry" stuff wears on goalies.

One of the worst groups of dee in the league, and a team severely lacking in character.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Tom Wilson absolutely murders Brayden Schenn, who turned as the hit was delivered. Head-first, into the boards. Schenn was up and down about 4 times trying to get back to the bench. I'm guessing he can't tell which way is up, and will require unlit rooms for the next 2-3 weeks. Flyers score 2 on the 5 minute PP. Schenn turned, so I don't know if there's going to be a suspension, but my Gawd what a hit!

Can we trade for Tom Wilson, please?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

edit: even better:

Wilson's already flying at the blueline and takes a few more strides before he obliterates Schenn (wtf was he thinking turning like that), calling it a charge seems pretty cut and dried to me.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:Penguins had litterly half their team out... still beat the Leaves.

The Leaves SUCK, their young goaltenders, standing on their heads, carried them to start the season.

But that only lasts so long, eventually all that "being hung out to dry" stuff wears on goalies.

One of the worst groups of dee in the league, and a team severely lacking in character.
Luo

GP W L OT GA SA SV SV% GAA SO PIM MIN
REGULAR SEASON 29 16 8 5 62 789 727 .921 2.19 3 0 1,696
LEAGUE RANK 1ST 7TH 12TH 3RD 10TH 6TH 6TH 15TH 10TH 1ST 23RD 3RD

Rimmer

REGULAR SEASON 16 7 5 1 39 520 481 .925 2.83 1 2 826
LEAGUE RANK 28TH 27TH 31ST 34TH 29TH 26TH 26TH 10TH 33RD 19TH 8TH 35TH

Bummier

REGULAR SEASON 24 10 11 2 57 764 707 .925 2.53 1 0 1,351
LEAGUE RANK 16TH 16TH 6TH 19TH 13TH 10TH 8TH 10TH 23RD 19TH 23RD 18TH
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

2pts out of 4th place in the league..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote:Image

edit: even better:

Wilson's already flying at the blueline and takes a few more strides before he obliterates Schenn (wtf was he thinking turning like that), calling it a charge seems pretty cut and dried to me.
That's the kind of shit that should result in a player being suspended for a month or more, if not the year. He's coming almost full speed, and then takes a stride or two to accelerate before contact. It is the kind of hit that could end a player's career or put him out indefinitely. There is absolutely no need for it.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Mëds wrote:It is the kind of hit that could end a player's career or put him out indefinitely.
Or end a player's life. He's seriously lucky he's wearing a helmet.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

BurningBeard wrote:
Mëds wrote:It is the kind of hit that could end a player's career or put him out indefinitely.
Or end a player's life. He's seriously lucky he's wearing a helmet.
This is the kind of bullshit that needs to be taken out of the game.

Some capitals players claimed it was a clean hit. I shake my head in disbelief. It was clearly charging, he hit im in the back, and in the most dangerous situation there is, sending him head first into the boards. Clearly predatory. Wilson should get a long, long rest.

I hope Schenn will recover well, but every concussion means brain damage. They need to be taken out of the game. I mean, sure. It's a physical high speed game, so there'll never be a risk free game, but we can't tolerate that the number of concussions is as high as it is now. They should be the rare freak exception. Not something that happens every other game.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Schenn did turn though.

He was going to get obliterated anyway but you can't see a hit like that coming and turn away from it, it's just the worst thing you can do for yourself.

(edit: I guess my point is that it makes it tough to suspend for the injury in cases like this, which obviously the league does. IMO give Wilson a few games for a reckless run at a player so you can really throw the book at him if he keeps it up in the future but Schenn put himself in a really bad spot.)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dbr wrote:Schenn did turn though.

He was going to get obliterated anyway but you can't see a hit like that coming and turn away from it, it's just the worst thing you can do for yourself.

(edit: I guess my point is that it makes it tough to suspend for the injury in cases like this, which obviously the league does. IMO give Wilson a few games for a reckless run at a player so you can really throw the book at him if he keeps it up in the future but Schenn put himself in a really bad spot.)
Yep. Schenn did turn.

This is why the league has fucked itself with it's silly 1-2 game suspension policy. If slamming a guy from behind into the glass is only worth 2-3 games (Phaneuf, Peluso), or kneeing a downed player in the head accidentally on purpose worth 5 games, what is a charging/boarding Major worth? 1 Game? A fine? How much of a deterrent is 1 game or $10G's? None.

Similarly, if this is worth 2 games, then a dirtier hit (checking from behind) should be worth 5, the knee 10. If the NHL wants to bring respect back into the game, then the players need to start understanding that a 10 game suspension for dirty checks is a real possibility, and with it the loss of several hundred K in salary.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Yeah.

I guess at this point they are more worried about the potential Raffi Torres (who I keep thinking of when I see this hit, difference being that Torres tended to be gliding by the last 10-15 feet of his approach) and Matt Cookes out there.

Giving Wilson a couple of games right now gets him onto the radar at least, both as a "repeat offender" (losing more money with subsequent suspensions, in the next 18 months anyways) and in terms of giving themselves the ammunition to throw the book at him in the future if he doesn't learn from this.

But I agree that in general things would be better if the league were in a position to just give guys 10 games here, 20 games there.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

IMO a 10+ game suspension should be the minimum for blatantly obvious dirty hits like this where a guy gets KO'd. The league shouldn't even bat an eye at suspending Wilson for that number of games.

Hitting and body contact are certainly a big part of hockey, but too many guys go for monster hits like it's the only aspect of hockey.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

herb wrote:IMO a 10+ game suspension should be the minimum for blatantly obvious dirty hits like this where a guy gets KO'd. The league shouldn't even bat an eye at suspending Wilson for that number of games.

Hitting and body contact are certainly a big part of hockey, but too many guys go for monster hits like it's the only aspect of hockey.
I love those monster hits but only when they are up front and the other guy can see it coming. A tough hit where the hitter isn't lying in the weeds or chicken shit blindsiding.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Garbage situational awareness by Schenn there. Definitely charging by Wilson but Schenn made it so much worse for himself. Why in the hell would you turn your back when your 3 feet from the boards?
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Phone hearing scheduled. Tom Wilson is going to get 5 or less.

People are all over Schenn for turning towards the boards, and obviously that was a horrible choice on his part, but honestly I can't say I blame him, that's reflex. He sees the hit coming at the last second and turns away from it.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.