GDT: Dec 17 - Canucks @ Wild - 5pm SNET-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Dec 17 - Canucks @ Wild - 5pm SNET-P

Post by Lancer »

Man, the amount of sticks getting slashed is something else but what really gets me is only a couple have been called.

Nasty play on the Stanton injury. Nice to see him get back and try it again. Suspect it's an ankle or knee sprain. Hopefully it won't keep him out long. Otherwise we'll be seeing a steady diet of AA and Yanick. Can't say that makes me feel comfy.

The third line started doing some good things out there in the 2nd period. Not sure if Richards is the long-term answer as the 3rd line C, but the line keeps on rolling. Nice to see Booth get one from the dirty area.

The Kesler line is due considering the chances they've had.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hate to do it to Lou but this one is on him. A bad goal when Harding is lights out. I'll watch the OT but not the SO!
The only HW the Canucks need
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:Hate to do it to Lou but this one is on him. A bad goal when Harding is lights out. I'll watch the OT but not the SO!
Chicken :P
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Fuck
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Bah, shootouts suck. I could pretty much turn the game off after overtime even with a point on the line.. and not just because of how thoroughly mediocre this group is with them.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I hate the shootout on principle, have always hated it, win or lose, but is there really any more pointless exercise than watching the Canucks in the shootout? From back in the days of Naslund missing the puck at center ice to Hank dumping it in the corner, there is never a moment, not one, that I go into the shootout thinking they have a chance. When they win one, it's like everyone; fans, media, and the team are in utter shock.

And I've got to ask, truly, what was ever wrong with a tie? If it's a tie, it's a tie; the teams haven't done enough to earn 2, they get 1 each, seemed more just than getting 2 for winning a gimmick. Maybe I'm too old school, I don't know.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

This was a good game for the Canucks. They played a solid two way game and if not for Harding's great saves they would have won it in regulation. A couple of mistakes and a soft goal by Luongo and we lose. Got a point which is critical but hard to give that one away like that.

This game was like so many others we played before the win streak. Played better than a number of those games too. Torts has to stop saying we need to play better when we win. Seems like when we play a more complete game we lose :mrgreen:

Booth had a solid game. The 4th line played well. All in all we deserved a better fate. Manny is money in the bank if they get it to a SO. they were lucky to get it there.

Right now I am more concerned about the Stanton injury.
The only HW the Canucks need
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Boston Canucker wrote:I hate the shootout on principle, have always hated it, win or lose, but is there really any more pointless exercise than watching the Canucks in the shootout? From back in the days of Naslund missing the puck at center ice to Hank dumping it in the corner, there is never a moment, not one, that I go into the shootout thinking they have a chance. When they win one, it's like everyone; fans, media, and the team are in utter shock.

And I've got to ask, truly, what was ever wrong with a tie? If it's a tie, it's a tie; the teams haven't done enough to earn 2, they get 1 each, seemed more just than getting 2 for winning a gimmick. Maybe I'm too old school, I don't know.
Agreed. I can buy five minutes of ot, but after that a tie should remain a tie.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Boston Canucker wrote:I hate the shootout on principle, have always hated it, win or lose, but is there really any more pointless exercise than watching the Canucks in the shootout? From back in the days of Naslund missing the puck at center ice to Hank dumping it in the corner, there is never a moment, not one, that I go into the shootout thinking they have a chance. When they win one, it's like everyone; fans, media, and the team are in utter shock.

I'm with you BC, I guess the argument that playing for ties was boring but they could have solved that by a similar formula they have for ROW over SO wins now...

In hindsight it was the beginning of the New York liars reign and yanks don't like ties ...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The team seemed to sag a bit on that tying goal in the third, and of course Minnesota got some life out of it.

Harding has been very good this year, but tonight all he had to do was make sure he took away the bottom 12" of the net and pretty much nothing was getting in. Booth got a lucky one through and Hansen got the puck up a bit. I have to say though, when I saw the replay on Hansen's goal, on the angle from the other side of the ice (behind and above Hansen), it actually looks like Hansen whiffs on it and the puck comes off the toe of his stick. What a sniper. :roll:

The Sedins suck on breakaways. I doubt they ever practice them, and why would they, when you skate that slowly the chances of getting a breakaway are slim. Daniel's reaction actually made me laugh, he shoots it straight into Harding's pads and then looks frustrated that it didn't go in. :lol:

"We suck at the shootout." - Tortorella's best quote of the post-game.

Konopka is a goon, that was bush league. Hand up high pulling Stanton backwards and then uses his knee to give Stanton's left leg a little tap forward. That should be a play that warrants a suspension.....I doubt it will be, but it's equally as dangerous as some of the "headshots" that they are giving guys a couple of games for.

The reffing was horrible. Bieksa's "slash" on Cooke was bullshit. The clutch and grab non-calls in the neutral zone were garbage. Our PP didn't look as impressive tonight.

The last week or so I have started to question the contract that Gillis gave the Sedins. They look too slow for most opponents, and they aren't making the best of decisions with the puck. No, I don't think we could have done better in free agency, I just don't notice them being as effective in the later minutes of a game where we need to actually get some chances and not just cycle the puck endlessly or shoot from a shitty angle with nobody at the net.

In general it was a good game with the exception of the Canucks inability to shoot the puck on net and have it more than 8" off the ice.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Canucks didn't reach their magic win # of 3 goals, they get that they'll usually win!!

More ammo to add that we need that elite sniper for a better KILL instinct.

(no I won't give that up) :mex:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:Hate to do it to Lou but this one is on him. A bad goal when Harding is lights out. I'll watch the OT but not the SO!
Sorry HW, gotta disagree with ya on this one. Lou actually had to make a whopping one more save than Harding. :P

Tonight Harding was good, no question, and he has been all season, but he certainly didn't have to stand on his head. He really only made one save that will hit the highlight reel, and even that one is more the result of the Canucks inept ability to direct the puck accurately under pressure. His second rebound save on Higgins (I think), looked amazing, but when you see that Higgins had over half the net to put the puck in and instead he pretty much shoots it straight into Harding's toe.....meh.

Lou made some very good saves tonight, that save he made early on when he robbed Parise with his right pad was a much better save than anything Harding put up tonight, You watch the replay and Lou actually has to lunge and extend to get his toe on that, Harding's comparable save is the one I mentioned above, and if Higgins directs that puck even another 2 or 3 inches towards Harding's left then it's a 3-2 game.

It wasn't a great goal to let in, but this game cannot be hung on Lou.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

God, I just hate games against the Wild, especially in Minnesota.

Hopefully Stanton doesn't have a dreaded high ankle sprain. I hope he’s OK, obviously, but he left the arena in a walking boot which probably means he is more week-to-week than day-to-day.

Booth is looking more and more like the player we hoped he would be for us. He’s not a fancy player, but when healthy he is able to enter the zone cleanly, has a decent shot, is hard on the puck and has that quick first couple of strides that can burn defensemen easily.

This was a game where we needed that third goal. Harding was good, and as soon as the Wild tied it up in the third you had the feeling the Canucks would lose in OT/SO.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Glad to see that both Hansen and Booth are slowly gaining their confidence back.

Daniel should bury the puck on the breakaway

That tying goal by Coyle was weak. Luongo should have that one.

Too bad, they lost two points to the Wilds. :mad:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

One thing I don't like about Torts is his propensity to play Sestito, for some reason, when he is clearly just a terrible hockey player.

I had a chuckle when the fourth line's ice time went down to ~5 minutes with Sestito back in the lineup after the Welsh-Dalpe-Weise line played 9-10 minutes against Edmonton and Boston.