Should the Canucks become a more DEFENSIVE team?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Should the Canucks become a more DEFENSIVE team?

Post by SKYO »

The proof of the pudding, Canucks scoring goals = we win.
Especially 3 goals per! :thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

SKYO wrote:The proof of the pudding,
Hey you're right, the team has held the opposition to 1.5 goals per game over the last four and have won each game!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

This team has done the most damage when it was a high scoring team, if they can keep that up - we go farther in the playoffs.

I'm not trying to contradict, I agree with improving the defensive, but when this team is scoring goals it really makes them much more dominant!

imo we just need a willie mitchell type to solidify the defensive depth to tighten up our D.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I think if the team gets better at defense and offense they will be really tough to beat.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote:I think if the team gets better at defense and offense they will be really tough to beat.
Very astute. Have you considered working for TSN, Sportsnet, or CBC? You're already more insightful than Kevin Weekes and Glenn Healy.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

The defensive insurance this season are Tanev and St. Anton.. the most valuable imo, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Garrison and Edler are supposed to, and they're not bad but they need this performances of the new kids...

We have a real strong D, believe.....
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

The Canucks defense has been improving since the Nashville game.

The game where Edler was injured.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

high octane offense beats out best defense today (Blackhawks over Kings), so that settles it Canucks need a top 6 winger for improved offense. :D
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

SKYO wrote:high octane offense beats out best defense today (Blackhawks over Kings), so that settles it Canucks need a top 6 winger for improved offense. :D
One interesting thing to note from this thread:

Shortly after I created this thread, the Canucks defensive play picked up quite substantially.

I would even go as far as saying that if these last 7 games are of any indication, then the Canucks might already be able to call themselves one of the Top 3 best defensive clubs in the league.

One area where I was wrong on however, was my argument that we should play similarly to our 2006/2007 style.

As we have proven lately, the Canucks can in fact, score prolifically under Torts 'aggressive forecheck' system, while also maintaining a solid defensive play. We'll see how this set-up translates against more elite teams and in the playoffs should we make it there.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

SKYO wrote:high octane offense beats out best defense today (Blackhawks over Kings), so that settles it Canucks need a top 6 winger for improved offense. :D
Chicago has a high octane offense, but they know how to tighten up defensively when it becomes necessary. Check out their play during the finals last year.

Don't let their relatively high GA this year fool you.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

sagebrush wrote:The Canucks defense has been improving since the Nashville game.

The game where Edler was injured.
Against the more elite teams, I'd still like to see them be tighter defensively on a consistent basis.

There's still too many high quality chances going our way (even if the quantity of shots going our way isn't as much as what we put towards the other goalie).

The Dark Indian Rises
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The Brown Knight wrote:
Chicago has a high octane offense, but they know how to tighten up defensively when it becomes necessary. Check out their play during the finals last year.

Don't let their relatively high GA this year fool you.
Yup and just as DBR says the team has got to...
dbr wrote:I think if the team gets better at defense and offense they will be really tough to beat.
Thanks to our deep defense and top 10 goaltending, team can go out and try to land a scorer/sniper to help get a better killer instinct in the final minutes of a game/OT.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

SKYO wrote:Thanks to our deep defense and top 10 goaltending, team can go out and try to land a scorer/sniper to help get a better killer instinct in the final minutes of a game/OT.
I'm all for adding a Top 6 forward as long as we don't move a defenseman to obtain said Top 6 Forward.

The risk of being susceptible to a depleted defensive corps due to injury, far outweighs the benefits of adding a Top 6 Forward in my opinion.

If the Canucks are hell bent on moving a Top 4 d-man like Edler however, I'd much rather see them package Edler with draft picks and prospects to get a guy like Shea Weber.

The Dark Indian Rises
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Brown Knight wrote:
SKYO wrote:Thanks to our deep defense and top 10 goaltending, team can go out and try to land a scorer/sniper to help get a better killer instinct in the final minutes of a game/OT.
I'm all for adding a Top 6 forward as long as we don't move a defenseman to obtain said Top 6 Forward.

The risk of being susceptible to a depleted defensive corps due to injury, far outweighs the benefits of adding a Top 6 Forward in my opinion.

If the Canucks are hell bent on moving a Top 4 d-man like Edler however, I'd much rather see them package Edler with draft picks and prospects to get a guy like Shea Weber.

We couldn't fit Weber under our cap with just trading Edler from the team. Going for a guy like him before the cap goes up and we have to lose a ton of coin first, or in the trade which would deplete us even further up front.

Edler for a goal scorer and bottom 5-6 stay at home D man
The only HW the Canucks need
givemeda411
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by givemeda411 »

Hockey Widow wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:

We couldn't fit Weber under our cap with just trading Edler from the team. Going for a guy like him before the cap goes up and we have to lose a ton of coin first, or in the trade which would deplete us even further up front.

Edler for a goal scorer and bottom 5-6 stay at home D man
If Vancouver wanted to run a 22 man roster and have almost no cap space it could be done. It would be smarter to make that trade at the deadline as there would be room for another forward.
With that said, that is a front loaded contract and I doubt Nashville will trade him anytime soon.