Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Trades and rumours 2013-14

Post by ClamRussel »

RyanGinger wrote:Which 2014 UFA would you sign for a Top 6 role to play beside Kes?
-Vrbata
-Moulson
-Callahan
-Cammalleri
-Michalek
-or would you trade Edler (NTC waived) for Nyquist and a 1st?
Callahan, I'm certain he & Torts would welcome a reunion. I think he'd be a great fit w/ 17.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Callahan makes sense, with his history with Torts, although not the biggest guy in the world - 5-11, 185 lbs, but puts up good numbers every year. We could use more depth on the wings in the top 9 forward group as we really only have 3 quality ones at the moment - Burrows, Hansen and Higgins. Santorelli and Kesler are natural centres, but I guess with one of them playing the wing then I see us having two spots on the wing available next season in the top 9. Booth is a fucking guaranteed buyout. Kassian is gonna take years to get it on the consistency front and too lose that too engrained laziness that possesses him, he will bounce all over the line-up because of that. Jensen looks like a complete bust so ya we definitely could use wing help in the top 9 forward group. Horvat is pretty much guaranteed to make the line-up next season, he will bounce between 2nd line centre and 3rd line centre. Plus we have loads of centre depth after Horvat on the prospect front, Schroeder, Gaunce, Cassels. Lain. Would hate to see us lock up a journeyman UFA centre, taking away, AGAIN, jobs from our kids to learn the ropes. I would like to see us give Schroeder at least one good chance to prove himself.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Edler and Burrows

Post by The Brown Knight »

So......

The Canucks have a nice little streak going and they're doing this without Edler and Burrows.

So naturally, it begs the question:

Can the Canucks survive without both Edler and Burrows?

Personally? IF the Canucks were to package Edler, Burrows,.......and let's say, a draft pick........I'd be looking to acquire a stud defenseman (I'm still not a fan of moving Edler for a forward as I believe that downgrading on defense is too risky).

Edler + Burrows + draft pick for Byfuglien. :P
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

RoyalDude wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:I feel a little bad for the Islanders.

They looked as though they were off to a promising start this season, and as result, made the move for Vanek.

On paper, it seemed like a decent move even if it had it's risks. What ISN'T there to like about the idea of having Vanek ride shot-gun with Tavares?

The Isles took a gamble and appear to be losing hands down so far.
Clutterbuck - 26 years old, 3 goals, 2 assists, minus 5

Niederreiter - 21 years old, 5 goals, 10 assists, plus 5

Would not be surprised if Garth 'Mike Milbury' Snow trades Griffin Reinhart and Ryan Strome for a couple journeyman veterens.
Good points RD.

As hard as it is to believe, Snow is almost as bad a GM as Milbury was.

The Dark Indian Rises
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Edler and Burrows

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The Brown Knight wrote: Edler + Burrows + draft pick for Byfuglien. :P
The Jets say thanks and are you sure you don't want a reach-around? Wow that's brutal.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
The Jets say thanks and are you sure you don't want a reach-around? Wow that's brutal.
TBK definitely shat the bed with that proposal. Almost as bad as Skyo Machete's proposals.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Island Nucklehead wrote:
I dunno.....Byfuglien and something else perhaps?

If not Buff (admittedly, a half-assed example on my part), I think the idea of trading Edler and Burrows for a stud defenseman is worth exploring.

Canucks, without Edler and Burrows, are on a 7 game winning streak. Imagine adding another top quality player?.........(I.e. Adding to our current line-up without giving nothing).

I would target a defenseman instead of a forward in said hypothetical...........as losing a defenseman without replacing the depth would be very risky IMO.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
TBK definitely shat the bed with that proposal. Almost as bad as Skyo Machete's proposals.
Lol.

No argument from me there. :oops:

The Dark Indian Rises
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

The Brown Knight wrote: Canucks, without Edler and Burrows, are on a 7 game winning streak. Imagine adding another top quality player?.........(I.e. Adding to our current line-up without giving nothing).
Maybe they'd be 8-1-1 in their last 10...oh wait...

They can add Edler and Burrows without giving up anything.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

vic wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote: Canucks, without Edler and Burrows, are on a 7 game winning streak. Imagine adding another top quality player?.........(I.e. Adding to our current line-up without giving nothing).
Maybe they'd be 8-1-1 in their last 10...oh wait...

They can add Edler and Burrows without giving up anything.
Agreed, but don't you find it a little odd that both our offense and defense has been better since both have been out?

Probably coincidence.

Maybe not.

Not really sure who's out there, or what would be possible, but you'd have to think that an Edler/Burrows/draft pick package could land us a real top notch blue chip defenseman........something that this organization has never really had.

Edler + Burrows + Horvat for Weber?

##ManCanDream

The Dark Indian Rises
RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by RyanGinger »

I'm open to trade Edler, but the Sedins seem to play better with Burrows. Great PK man too.
Where would Edler waive his NTC for though? Some ppl are saying Detroit.
22-33-17
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Canucks will be that much better when they have Burrows on their wing. No coincidence that their production has slowed since they lost someone reliable to play wing. Imagine that line going and the second followed up by a third that is getting better each game.

I also think the third line will be better with JS at centre, once he is back in game shape. And the fourth line will be stronger with Richardson at centre.

Edler feels expendable because Tanev and Stanton have both played great. I have seen enough of Tanev to be convinced he is the real deal. I keep waiting for Stanton to faulter but he seems yo be the read deal too. But we are one injury away on the back end from being depleted.

I go back and forth regarding trading Edler but I would be in favour of moving him for the right price. A top four D man would garner a big return.
The only HW the Canucks need
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

The Brown Knight wrote:Edler + Burrows + draft pick for Byfuglien. :P
I luv Buffy. I'd do that trade. He's 1 guy I would overpay for. I'm even willing to offer Edler, Burr + Shinkaruk for him. :D
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Hockey Widow wrote:Edler feels expendable because Tanev and Stanton have both played great. I have seen enough of Tanev to be convinced he is the real deal. I keep waiting for Stanton to faulter but he seems yo be the read deal too. But we are one injury away on the back end from being depleted.

I go back and forth regarding trading Edler but I would be in favour of moving him for the right price. A top four D man would garner a big return.
I completely agree with you as far as depth on D goes. A few weeks ago, I was all for the idea of moving a defenseman (Tanev) if it meant him being part of a package for Evander Kane, but my *NEW* stance is that we do not move ANY of Edler, Bieksa, Garrison, Hamhuis, or Tanev, unless it results in a superior defenseman coming back.

I do not like the idea of moving a defenseman for a forward, and then being susceptible to injuries back there as we were in 2008, 2009, and 2011.
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
I luv Buffy. I'd do that trade. He's 1 guy I would overpay for. I'm even willing to offer Edler, Burr + Shinkaruk for him. :D
Lol, dammit Todd. Not this Shinkaruk stuff again. :P Only way I move Shinkaruk and/or Horvat, is if a franchise player is on the table (I.e. Giroux, Weber, etc.). Trust me on Shinkaruk though. The kid is going to be a player. Take great caution if considering moving him.

Also - Royaldude and Isle Nuck slapped some sense into me and so I'm not sure if I'd be willing to bring in ?Buff anymore........which leads me to RyanGinger's comments.
RyanGinger wrote:I'm open to trade Edler, but the Sedins seem to play better with Burrows. Great PK man too.
Where would Edler waive his NTC for though? Some ppl are saying Detroit.
I think the twins Re good enough to ultimately adjust to playing with anyone. I like the strides that Kassian is making and so he should develop into a good fit eventually.

Hopefully, Edler would be willing to go anywhere that isn't a basement dweller.

I've been thinking about this for a lot of today, but I wonder how serious Nashville is in considering moving Weber?

if there is one guy out there that you moved both Horvat and Shinkaruk for, it's Shea Weber.

Can you imagine what our line-up would be like with Weber in there? Dare to dream?

-Sedin's and Kesler up front.
-Luongo and Lack between the pipes.
-Weber anchoring our D.

Our current line-up + Weber. (Assuming that Edler and Burrows are the only two roster player going the other way).

Think a team like that would be set with it's core for the next 3-4 years? (a.k.a. Extended Window).

The Dark Indian Rises
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:The Canucks will be that much better when they have Burrows on their wing. No coincidence that their production has slowed since they lost someone reliable to play wing. Imagine that line going and the second followed up by a third that is getting better each game.

I also think the third line will be better with JS at centre, once he is back in game shape. And the fourth line will be stronger with Richardson at centre.

Edler feels expendable because Tanev and Stanton have both played great. I have seen enough of Tanev to be convinced he is the real deal. I keep waiting for Stanton to faulter but he seems yo be the read deal too. But we are one injury away on the back end from being depleted.

I agree and would be looking to move Edler if I was Gillis. He's been awful this year, an absolute train wreck in his own end, and I like the balance with a Weber or another righty in his place. It really screws up Garrison's game playing on the right side, he's much steadier on the left. Tanev has been nothing but a rock for the last couple of seasons, I wouldn't even think of moving him and I like the other three big guys. Stanton is a low event dman and that's what you need in the 6 spot.

I would look to grab a young forward who can play a couple of positions - somebody like Brayden Schenn comes to mind given Philly's glut of centres and need for D.

I would, however, need another lesser dman coming back to cover injuries, as the last thing any of us would want is Alberts playing a regular role. Corrado can cover a right side injury but there's no left side insurance with Edler gone. Perhaps Nicklas Grossmann? He's somewhat expensive but there were rumours that Gillis was interested back in the summer.

Edler has good value as a 27 year old who has put up big points before, and if he can be used to fill a need I'm all for it.

Schenn and Grossmann for Edler plus something small (pick, prospect) works for me.