Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Trades and rumours 2013-14

Post by SKYO »

RyanGinger wrote: Who'd you rather have next year? (feedback please):
-Steen or Nyquist?
-Steen or Moulson?
-Steen or Penner?
-Steen or E.Kane?
-Steen or Vrbata?
Vanek FTW!
A Vanek-Kesler line will be a rock solid 2nd line that will make other teams scatter their defensive strategies as they'd have to try to stop either that line or the Sedins.

For his contract, IF MG traded for him this season, there's a much better chance he could decide to re-sign here.

imo I think the Sedin's would be OK with him being the highest paid player on this team, as he's a top tier talent and he will give this team a real good shot at winning the holy grail.

Plus he could give a bit of discount if he likes playing here, especially if we go 2, 3 rounds in the playoffs.
spitballin' 8 years $60M contract. $7.5M AAV. limitedNTC

or Kane.

However Nyquist is probably the most safest and realistic option, he's a young go-getter who will be a 25-30 goal scorer who can make good passes plus he's on a good contract, furthermore Detroit is salivating at getting another high caliber dman like Edler ever since Lidstrom left. Could get 2 or 3 pieces from Det for Edler.
Gustav Nyquist - 24 yrs old:
Oozes skill and offensive ability. An amazing, elusive and natural skater, he's quite cerebral and a talented playmaker. A natural center, he has converted nicely to the wing.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Why is everyone so high on Vanek?

He has only scored 40 goals twice in his career.

He is barely a point per game player......far from it actually.

He will be 30 next year, and likely looking for term as well as dollars.

And people suggest trading assets for him and then handing him the fattest annual contract in team history (Sundin excepted).....WTF?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RyanGinger wrote:Been seeing some proposals for signing Steen. The salary proposed is usually around 6m! He's been a pretty solid player in the past, usually scoring close to 20 goals (career high - 24 goals / 68GP - 2009-10).
So far Steen has 22 in 30GP. Is this just some random breakout that'll fade off, or is Steen really worth signing for big money/long term?

Who'd you rather have next year? (feedback please):
-Steen or Nyquist?
-Steen or Moulson?
-Steen or Penner?
-Steen or E.Kane?
-Steen or Vrbata?
Steen will be 2014's David Clarkson.

He will cool off a bit down the stretch, but somehow that will be swept under the rug along with his long standing career of being a 40 point guy. Big money will follow and the team that lands him will be wondering why they blew 8.4% of their cap space on him.

Kane is the guy on that list. Has Iginla potential in the right environment.....
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Skyo has the worst trades suggestions on Canuck Planet, but I can't slag Skyo cause of the shopping cart story, he's a legend.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Mëds wrote:Why is everyone so high on Vanek?

Because it's not 1989 anymore - Vanek has put excellent numbers in THIS era of hockey..
This is as bad as your take on Claude Giroux

Only two 40 goal seasons- sheesh - barely a point game. Where do you get this shit?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

That was a really bad trade by the Islanders, AGAIN. The team could be such a good team if it weren't for the parade of bad trades over the last decade and a half in that organization. The team seems to have taken a turn for the worse since trading Moulson and a first for mr. overrated up and coming ufa player - Vanek. Clutterbuck/Neterieter trade has been a bust as well.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

I feel a little bad for the Islanders.

They looked as though they were off to a promising start this season, and as result, made the move for Vanek.

On paper, it seemed like a decent move even if it had it's risks. What ISN'T there to like about the idea of having Vanek ride shot-gun with Tavares?

The Isles took a gamble and appear to be losing hands down so far.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

RyanGinger wrote:Been seeing some proposals for signing Steen. The salary proposed is usually around 6m! He's been a pretty solid player in the past, usually scoring close to 20 goals (career high - 24 goals / 68GP - 2009-10).
So far Steen has 22 in 30GP. Is this just some random breakout that'll fade off, or is Steen really worth signing for big money/long term?

Who'd you rather have next year? (feedback please):
-Steen or Nyquist?
-Steen or Moulson?
-Steen or Penner?
-Steen or E.Kane?
-Steen or Vrbata?
Steen will probably get close to 7 million or so.

Out of that list, I'd probably pick Steen over everyone........except Evander Kane. While it 's true Kane has some rumored attitude issues, he's a homegrown Vancouver talent and would probably want to be here long term. I like his size and toughness.

Kane is my choice.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Knight wrote:I feel a little bad for the Islanders.

They looked as though they were off to a promising start this season, and as result, made the move for Vanek.

On paper, it seemed like a decent move even if it had it's risks. What ISN'T there to like about the idea of having Vanek ride shot-gun with Tavares?

The Isles took a gamble and appear to be losing hands down so far.
Clutterbuck - 26 years old, 3 goals, 2 assists, minus 5

Niederreiter - 21 years old, 5 goals, 10 assists, plus 5

Would not be surprised if Garth 'Mike Milbury' Snow trades Griffin Reinhart and Ryan Strome for a couple journeyman veterens.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Kane would be a great addition but a top 6 RW would be ideal as that seems to be the next position the Canucks are starting to get thin at.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dangler wrote:Kane would be a great addition but a top 6 RW would be ideal as that seems to be the next position the Canucks are starting to get thin at.
We are gonna have to put something on the table that we won't want to put on the table to get Evander Kane out of Winnipeg like Horvat etc. Edler is not going to get you Kane. We all sit here and slag Edler on a daily basis yet we think we can get Evander Kane with Edler as the main piece? Plus, the Jets want offense not defense. We will have to wait til Kane is 25 years old when he's a free agent to get all excited about him landing here. I honestly see Kane signing here as a free agent much like Hamhius and Garrison, which is why it's gonna be difficult for Winnipeg to trade him cause most teams know that Kane badly wants to be a Canuck.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Barbie goes to the Windy City. From the bottom to the top in 24 hours.

He had an identical offer on the table from the Canucks over the summer but chose Edmonton because he figured he would get more playing time and more playing time gave him a better chance to land a deal next summer. Well he didn't get as much playing time as he hoped and withe Edmonton D he wasn't having a great year. With the addition of that Bryz guy you knew someone was out. Chicago needed depth with the Crawford injury.

Barbie earns the Oilers future considerations.
Last edited by Hockey Widow on Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Delete
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Vader wrote:
Mëds wrote:Why is everyone so high on Vanek?

Because it's not 1989 anymore - Vanek has put excellent numbers in THIS era of hockey..
This is as bad as your take on Claude Giroux

Only two 40 goal seasons- sheesh - barely a point game. Where do you get this shit?
Ummmm......I look at stats and trends......just consider Vanek's production since he entered the league. Have a look at his points season to season as projected over 82 games: 49, 84, 64, 72, 61, 75, 64, 88, 60. They are up and down like a yo yo, he doubled up in his sophomore year, then has taken dives by as much as 20 points, 28 if this season's pace holds. It's not like he is the picture of consistency.....and this is in the more wide open Eastern Conference. But yeah, those are excellent numbers for a guy who most think will be asking for something approaching the $8M range.

How about you, do you just drink the Kool-Aid and buy into the hype surrounding this guy? Is it because the media has raved about his ability that you just assume he's going to be a 40 goal, point-per-game, player next year? Is that why you would give up the assets needed to acquire him and then make him the highest annually paid player in Canucks history?
RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Post by RyanGinger »

Which 2014 UFA would you sign for a Top 6 role to play beside Kes?
-Vrbata
-Moulson
-Callahan
-Cammalleri
-Michalek
-or would you trade Edler (NTC waived) for Nyquist and a 1st?
22-33-17