Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:HW - you need an hour with MG,
pimp
ROLF
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I doubt it was by accident MG put us in this position!

Anyway, depending upon how this season ends for us there maybe a lot of room for change. With respect to FA, the new CBA gives the advantage to the existing team. For key players that one extra year of earning guaranteed big money is mighty tempting.

We won't have any problem attracting FA but it will come down to if we are willing to pay over the new team benchmark of 7 million per. I hope he doesn't go after a RFA as I don't want to be without all those draft picks.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Hockey Widow wrote:
sagebrush wrote:Meanwhile...
NHL SALARY CAP PROJECTED TO RISE TO $71.1M IN 2014-15

Rich teams at the upper cap limit can get better. Cheap, low cap teams may want (more) players with a higher contract cap than salary.

GCG
And MG has his work cut out getting all our FA re-signed before he can go on a spending spree. He has a ton of players to re-up, needing raises, except one.

UFA: Alberts, Santorelli

RFA: Weise, Kassian, JS, Dalpe, Welsh, Tanev, Weber

See what I mean, he will be in cap hell with that line up of players to get re upped. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
That's what the boys at CP would have us believe.
In total those players eat up between 8-9 million, add that to a cap increase of 6 million and we have a lot of money to re-sign the guys we want to, let the others walk and get some young guns in the line up. If we buy out or trade Booth, perhaps to a team that needs to get to the new, higher cap floor, we free up some more coin.

MG has set us up to go into the off season with a lot of coin to spend, needing to only fill a few holes, big ones, but with the cap to do it. Now who is UFA next season that we can land?
Things are looking up for the Canucks all right.

The spread between the haves & have-nots is about to increase.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

We all knew when the new CBA was signed that this year would be cap hell and resigned ourselves to a challenging season knowing the cap would increase the following year. I didn't think it would increase to the extent just announced as I understood what was happening with the Canuck buck in relation to our peso friends south of 49.

But next years cap is based on this years revenue, next years revenue will suffer with the exchange rate but that could be offset by Roger's $450 million ($150 upfront, ~$300 in first annual payment).
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

herb wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Yeah, we aren't the favourite to win the Cup but at least we have shot at it still.

Fack'n spoiled Canuck fans :evil:

Go Canucks!
Yeah, we won't be winning the President's Trophy every year, but we should be a playoff team this year, and who knows, we might even be able to fandangle home ice advantage in the first round.

It sure is a nice run we have been on since '08 or so. We still need to cap it off though...
I have to say, from afar watching the games on center ice, I'm actually enjoying this season much more than the past two post-2011 run seasons. The past two years just felt like we were biding time until the playoffs to get to games with some tension, meaning (and as we learned, total disappointment). At times, I wondered why I even bothered to watch the last couple years, and often didn't. Now, the games actually matter in December, imagine that!, and the team's style under Torts is worth watching, when they are pushing the play as he wants them too. If we get in, I think we will, it's likely in the 6-8 range area, so be it, if young guys like Lack, Tanev, Stanton etc get playing time, keep improving, with Horvat/Shinkaruk on the horizon, I can live with that as a transition year or two in which the team is still in the mix, if not a favorite.

On the salary cap, unless he "flips the switch" I don't see how Booth avoids a buyout. That 4 mill in space plus the space gained from the cap going up gives them some nice room to work with. I keep hoping Booth will get it going (every time I see a cut move to the net like against the Canes for example, hope rears its ugly head), but it seems highly doubtful...
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Boston Canucker wrote:I have to say, from afar watching the games on center ice, I'm actually enjoying this season much more than the past two post-2011 run seasons. The past two years just felt like we were biding time until the playoffs to get to games with some tension, meaning (and as we learned, total disappointment). At times, I wondered why I even bothered to watch the last couple years, and often didn't. Now, the games actually matter in December, imagine that!, and the team's style under Torts is worth watching, when they are pushing the play as he wants them too. If we get in, I think we will, it's likely in the 6-8 range area, so be it, if young guys like Lack, Tanev, Stanton etc get playing time, keep improving, with Horvat/Shinkaruk on the horizon, I can live with that as a transition year or two in which the team is still in the mix, if not a favorite.
Agreed. The team under Torts has been refreshing to watch. You can see the urgency in the Canucks this year, whereas the last couple of years, the individual games didn't seem to matter much to the players.
Boston Canucker wrote: On the salary cap, unless he "flips the switch" I don't see how Booth avoids a buyout. That 4 mill in space plus the space gained from the cap going up gives them some nice room to work with. I keep hoping Booth will get it going (every time I see a cut move to the net like against the Canes for example, hope rears its ugly head), but it seems highly doubtful...
I agree Booth will be bought out. "Hope rears its ugly head" beautifully summarizes the situation. At some point you have to know when to quit, and if Booth isn't productive within the next several weeks (which it's looking like he won't be) then there is absolutely no value in not buying him out.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It is refreshing to read the NYR fans and their frustration since Torts is gone. And AV seems it have thrown his hands up in surrender. Complaints about poor defence, lack of scoring, no forecheck, no intensity. The fans seem to be waiting to see what this new high flying offence AV is supposed to bring.

I remember so well the talk about wanting to employ a system when he got to Vancouver but needed the players who could execute. MG supposicly got those players and then AV was all about the process. Seems he is saying the same things now in NY. For fans that want Del Zoto or Calli, read the message boards about their play, injuries and value for expected next contract.

Some seem convinced that King Henrik is good but his numbers may have been overstated by the system Torts employed and without that defensive game and shot blocking King Henrik looks average but average with a new LTC.

I' m still waiting for the boggy man Torts to appear and I guess that Torts was nothing more than a media creation. Show the same clips over and over and peg the guy as a wing nut lose canon. I have been pleasantly surprised by his pressers. But it sure sounds like NYR fans have tired of Sather and most of the team.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Boston Canucker wrote: Now, the games actually matter in December, imagine that!, and the team's style under Torts is worth watching, when they are pushing the play as he wants them too.

Well, the games actually matter in December because the teams record is nowhere near as good as in the past!

I don't see the Canucks pushing the play in the 3rd - I see them hesitant and blowing leads, handing conference rivals points (San Jose, LA, Phoenix, Chicago).

Does everyone hate AV that much?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mondi wrote:2010-211 alone is evidence that AV is a fabulous coach.

I see no need to disparage him, particularly when Torts may or may not get this team into the playoffs.

Torts seems to have changed the character of the team, but he's a long way from accomplishing with this group what AV did.

I wasn't disparaging AV. He sure did accomplish a lot here but his time was done after our SC run. I just think it is funny how Torts was run out of town by most everyone in NY and they are now recognizing what he brought to the team. As for AV, he has thrown his hands up in NY. he doesn't have the type of players he wants and he is letting everyone know it.

As for Torts not yet accomplishing anything here I agree. But I still find him a refreshing change. He reads the game well and makes in game decisions that are refreshing, like taking a time out when needed :mrgreen:
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Vader wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote: Now, the games actually matter in December, imagine that!, and the team's style under Torts is worth watching, when they are pushing the play as he wants them too.

Well, the games actually matter in December because the teams record is nowhere near as good as in the past!
Well, actually, no not really, not if you mean in December as opposed to March/April. The Canucks started slow pretty much every year under AV (often at this time of the year we may not even have climbed back up to first in the division yet) but did anyone really worry they would not make the playoffs, I mean seriously?. No, the games matter more because they are in a way tougher division. If it was the old division right now, Edm and Calg would be toast and we'd be, guess what, tied for first with the Wild for the div lead. That soft ship has sailed, or sunk. Yes, the team is not up to the standard of 2010-11, we all know that, but it wasn't last two years either and making the playoffs never seemed a big concern.

On AV, I don't dislike him at all. He did a very good job, but you couldn't watch those two playoff exits without seeing the team needed a new voice. He did great work, but the air was out of those tires
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Boston Canucker wrote:
On AV, I don't dislike him at all. He did a very good job, but you couldn't watch those two playoff exits without seeing the team needed a new voice. He did great work, but the air was out of those tires
Yeah, probably true.

I'm just not ready to annoint Tortorella the saviour. So far he's managed to barely keep the team above water by playing the snot out of several players on the wrong side of 30 years old. We'll see how long he can keep this up, my guess is the Sedin's and Luongo etc will be out of gas come April
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Vader wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote:
Yeah, probably true.

I'm just not ready to annoint Tortorella the saviour. So far he's managed to barely keep the team above water by playing the snot out of several players on the wrong side of 30 years old. We'll see how long he can keep this up, my guess is the Sedin's and Luongo etc will be out of gas come April
I was not in favor of hiring Tortorella in the first place actually. I thought it would be a total shitshow after how it ended in NYR. So to me he has been better than expected. And I see a team that is actually getting better. They have had some tepid 3rd periods, to be sure, but they seem to have righted themselves. I still see them as probably no better than a 6th seed, nothing to plan parades around. On the ice time, maybe, but it looks like he has cut the Sedins back to their usual 20 mins, in no small part because the 2nd line has picked it up and are getting more time. It's really Kesler is carrying the consistent minutes...we'll see how he handles it.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Vader wrote:Well, the games actually matter in December because the teams record is nowhere near as good as in the past!
This is true to a certain extent, but I'm not sure I believe the team's record is "nowhere near as good". Despite some disappointing results in games the team 'should' have won and playing in a much tougher division now, the Canucks aren't that far off from their 2011 and 2012 point totals. 2014 (and 2013) is projected over 82 games, but below is a comparison of Torts' season thus far with AVs'.

Year GP W L OT P
2014 82 45 25 12 102
2013 82 44 26 12 101
2012 82 51 22 9 111
2011 82 54 19 9 117
2010 82 49 28 5 103
2009 82 45 27 10 100
2008 82 39 33 10 88
2007 82 49 26 7 105

Personally, I liked AV as a coach, but it was time to change the sheets, so to speak. A good coach, but his approach and the way the team played had gone stale. So far I am liking what Torts has brought to the table in terms of expecting a lot out of every single one of his players and mixing things up mid-game to try and find a spark.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

How many different ways can we actually say: It was time for a coaching change, the previous coach had lost the room or was unable to make the changes within the team. 56?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

rats19 wrote:How many different ways can we actually say: It was time for a coaching change, the previous coach had lost the room or was unable to make the changes within the team. 56?
Here, let me sign it.
Think that's right...
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.