Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by herb »

rats19 wrote:How many points will it take this year to make playoffs?
103/4 ? Has it been projected already?

We have 49 games left or 96 possible points, we have 41 out of a possible 66.

Using the same formula or close enough we should/could end up between 105-109 ish that has to do it...No?
The last few years it has been about 95ish points in the West. It seems like the bar gets raised a point or two every year though. With the way things have gone, we should be OK, but it wasn't that long ago we won the NW division with 100 points (we are currently on pace for 102).
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

herb wrote:
rats19 wrote:How many points will it take this year to make playoffs?
103/4 ? Has it been projected already?

We have 49 games left or 96 possible points, we have 41 out of a possible 66.

Using the same formula or close enough we should/could end up between 105-109 ish that has to do it...No?
The last few years it has been about 95ish points in the West. It seems like the bar gets raised a point or two every year though. With the way things have gone, we should be OK, but it wasn't that long ago we won the NW division with 100 points (we are currently on pace for 102).
That's what pisses me off about mid-lifer crisis sissies like BD on here. How quickly we forget about the years this club was mired in mediocrity and only dreamed of the playoffs (or a Cinderella story like '82). Or shit teams like the Laughs that always just try to make it into the playoffs after several years of not even being close and several 're-builds'
Yeah, we aren't the favourite to win the Cup but at least we have shot at it still.

Fack'n spoiled Canuck fans :evil:

Go Canucks!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Looks like the cap's going up to about 71mil.

"We're looking at a cap in the $71 million range as an estimate," Commissioner Buttman said. "It's subject to change. It's very preliminary."

So we another 7mil, buy out Booth for another 4, and with Santorelli the only UFA, we should be able to sign a decent player or two. (UFA List)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I think we earned the right to be a little bit spoiled for a while. Its how we react that's important..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

rats19 wrote:I think we earned the right to be a little bit spoiled for a while. Its how we react that's important..
Too true Saint Rattski! :wink:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Arachnid wrote:Yeah, we aren't the favourite to win the Cup but at least we have shot at it still.

Fack'n spoiled Canuck fans :evil:

Go Canucks!
Yeah, we won't be winning the President's Trophy every year, but we should be a playoff team this year, and who knows, we might even be able to fandangle home ice advantage in the first round.

It sure is a nice run we have been on since '08 or so. We still need to cap it off though...
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Cornuck wrote:Looks like the cap's going up to about 71mil.

"We're looking at a cap in the $71 million range as an estimate," Commissioner Buttman said. "It's subject to change. It's very preliminary."

So we another 7mil, buy out Booth for another 4, and with Santorelli the only UFA, we should be able to sign a decent player or two. (UFA List)
Barring a major drop off, I think you almost have to re-sign Santorelli. As a home town boy, and with Vancouver basically giving him his last shot at playing in the NHL, I bet he’d be willing to play ball.

Tanev will need a substantial raise. Kassian may be due a small raise.

Heck, we will easily afford to keep Booth, should he show that he will be worth keeping around, as we will have space once Santorelli, Tanev and Kassian are re-signed and the roster is filled out.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Thinking out loud here:

Do you think Thornton or Marleau would be willing to sign here once their contracts expire?

(Assuming that San Jose falls short come playoff time, and decides to go in a different direction).

Perhaps from the perspective of Thornton or Marleau, it would be fitting revenge for either one of them if San Jose snubs them in the off-season.

Furthermore, both men have had success in Vancouver when we won the 2010 Olympic Gold.

Obviously, neither Thornton nor Marleau are at an ideal age, but either one of those guys would be a great fit.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:

Barring a major drop off, I think you almost have to re-sign Santorelli. As a home town boy, and with Vancouver basically giving him his last shot at playing in the NHL, I bet he’d be willing to play ball.

Tanev will need a substantial raise. Kassian may be due a small raise.

Agreed on Santos, I understand it's a business, but Santos should give the Canucks an affordable contract for a coupla years ($1.5-$1.75M per)to prove his worth and then he can go for the big bucks after that.

Given how hardcore Tanev negotiated his first contract with very little leverage, gotta believe he'll play hardball again this offseason, especially with his new arbitration rights.
One of the reason's why I want to trade him for a forward, but I digress.

Kassian will sign short term contract on the cheap, where he'll still be a RFA after that deal is done.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

The Brown Knight wrote:Thinking out loud here:
Do you think Thornton or Marleau would be willing to sign here once their contracts expire?
No.

The only reason players seem to come to Vancouver are

a) They play on the Panthers or
b) They have some kind of BC connection

Aside from that, I don't think Vancouver is all that hot of a destination for UFA's. The city is nice enough but we're not a Stanley Cup winning team. We got close and then we got shut out and then we rioted.

Course, with enough money, anything's possible but Thornton and Marleau have made more than enough bank in their careers. Vancouver is not their best chance at a SC. Until we actually win a cup on our own merit (Gillis's merit), we will never be viewed as having a culture of winning.

Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa, Luo. Gold medals have been won by a few but a gold medal is no substitution to that of a SC.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The Brown Knight wrote:Thinking out loud here:

(Assuming that San Jose falls short come playoff time, and decides to go in a different direction).

Perhaps from the perspective of Thornton or Marleau, it would be fitting revenge for either one of them if San Jose snubs them in the off-season.

Furthermore, both men have had success in Vancouver when we won the 2010 Olympic Gold.

Obviously, neither Thornton nor Marleau are at an ideal age, but either one of those guys would be a great fit.
San Jose has 16 players signed next season, and will have about $25M to fill out their roster. The Canucks, as of today, only have $10M with 16 players signed. I think they stay in San Jose at around $6M per.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

mathonwy wrote: We got close and then we got shut out and then we rioted.
And then we defeated Boston on Jan 7 2012 and won another Presidents' Trophy so what's your point? :|

Guys like Mark Messier and Mats Sundin signed in Vancouver when the Canucks weren't considered cream of the crop, and so why couldn't it happen again?

Think about it from the perspective of the athlete's ego:

"I go into a city where the city has never seen their team win a cup. The team is pretty good, but is a key piece away from being considered great. What if I was that key piece?"

And again - that 2010 Olympics served as the greatest moment in life for many of those Gold winning Canadians.......and the game was played and won in Vancouver. That, my Hindu friend, is what's called 'nostalgia'.

There's a multitude of reasons why a superstar player would choose to sign in Vancouver.
Last edited by The Brown Knight on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Dark Indian Rises
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Probably 70 - 80% of the UFA listed will resign with their teams. (no data to back this up, just pulled it out of the air)

Of that who will MG sign that will have an impact on the team?

It is hard to base this up past history as the cap was what it was and the team had no cap space to spend but if I was a betting man I would say that I give it an e4 that anyone of known value will be signed.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Island Nucklehead wrote:San Jose has 16 players signed next season, and will have about $25M to fill out their roster. The Canucks, as of today, only have $10M with 16 players signed. I think they stay in San Jose at around $6M per.
True, but buying out Booth will give us more room obviously.

If San Jose falls again in the playoffs, I'm just not sure if we'll see Thornton and Marleau taking hometown discounts. As was the case with Getzlaf and Perry, I think they'll want full market value.......and I think that's where we can come in. If we buyout Booth and consider moving a guy like Burrows for picks, we should have the necessary space.

Horvat, Shinkaruk, and Gaunce could all be NHL ready next year with entry-level contracts.......which could give us even more room to play with.

If San Jose uncerimoniously dumps one of Thornton or Marleau, what better way to stick it to their old club by signing with a rival team? What better way to create nostalgia than to win a Stanley Cup in the same city where you won your Olympic Gold?
Last edited by The Brown Knight on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Dark Indian Rises
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

UFA: Alberts, Santorelli

RFA: Weise, Kassian, JS, Dalpe, Welsh, Tanev, Weber

Santorelli deserves a raise and an extension. Weise has proven to be a versatile 3rd and 4th liner so keep him. Explore a trade for Kassian, but, if there are no takers for what we would want in return, re-sign him. Tanev should be taken to binding arbitration and kept, no more drama. Booth has done nothing with the chances he has been given. If there isn't a marked improvement by seasons end, trade or buy him out. Either way get his salary off of the books. Let the rest go. JS can't help as he is always hurt. Perhaps he is too small to play against some of the giants in this league.

Gillis has by fluke or design left us in a good position to go after fresh blood next year. My only concern is who might be available and who might want to come here. Does anyone know who is coming up for UFA or even a potential RFA we might make an offer to.