GDT: Dec 8 - Avalanche @ Canucks - 5pm SNET-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Dec 8 - Avalanche @ Canucks - 5pm SNET-P

Post by Tiger »

Great goaltending in the 1st plus a little puck luck..
an even 2nd ..
Kesler line looking good all game .. Santorelli playing his best hockey ..
3rd period was our best effort this home stand..
A good win against a club we will pass in the standing to make the playoffs
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Strangelove wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Strangelove wrote: :D

Is he the only one of you goalies who doesn't abide by that unwritten rule?
Its perpetual w/ that guy. I think he does it out of jealousy, just can't stand seeing other goalies get a goose egg.
... so you're saying ALL goalies believe in that jinx? :wink:
Even Garrett Doc, even Garrett.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I believe it Clam!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, nice to see Magic Mike come up with a big game. He was stone cold for a long stretch there, hopefully him-Kes-Higgins can continue to develop chemistry and become a legitimate scoring line for us. If we can get 2 scoring lines going and maybe 2 lines that can bump and grind, it'd help a long way. It's probably not Stanley Cup calibre, but it should push us into the playoffs.

Nice to see Fat Alberts back in the lineup, seemed all right with the limited minutes.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I thought Tanev had a scrambly game today. He settled down in the third and was making smart plays, KISS! The guy who continues to impress me is Stanton. Boy does Chicago know how to draft!

Weise had a bad game. He had a ton of give aways and turn overs. Failed to clear the puck once to many times and saw less ice time as a result. I love how Torts makes those in game decisions. For bottom six players, and even those who should be top six although he cuts them a little more slack, you have to be on your game or he will play you less. No favourites it seems. When Weise is playing hard and sound defensively he gets rewarded. When he isn't he sits more. Good thing with Torts is that you start fresh each game so I expect Weise will have a good game Monday.

It may be time to plop Kassian with the twins. Booth doesn't work and not sure if Hansen will. Gotta keep Kesler at centre.
The only HW the Canucks need
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Where's RD?

Oh yeah.. Nucks won.

Carry on.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya no kidding. All over MG but fails to acknowledge three good off season pick ups. Richardson and Santorelli for good cap friendly salaries and Stanton for nothing as a waiver pick up. MG may be assshite in drafting and in trades but he seems to know how get some great FA,
And
Wire pick ups and gets the occasional trade right.
The only HW the Canucks need
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Roy, "Wait a minute, I'm 14th on the All-Time shutout list with 66, and frickin' Luongo has 64? I can't let him get this shutout - who cares about winning the game!"

*pulls goalie with 5 minutes left*

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Hockey Widow wrote:I thought Tanev had a scrambly game today. He settled down in the third and was making smart plays, KISS! The guy who continues to impress me is Stanton. Boy does Chicago know how to draft!
Just nitpicking really, but they signed Stanton as an undrafted free agent after he finished up his junior career in Moose Jaw.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Southern_Canuck wrote:who cares about winning the game!"

S_C
It's funny, but it didn't exactly hurt their chances to win the game.

If you had a choice between five more minutes of a game you're already losing, or a five minute powerplay where the opponent cannot ice the puck (without a whistle) but you have to prevent a shot on goal.. I'd say that's a reasonable proposition.

Certainly added some life to the last few minutes.. and as a fan of a team that has a hard time coming back from three goals down I don't think I'd hold it against the coach trying to turn an all but certain loss into something else.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

By the way, these humourless stick in the mud responses are all you get when Patrick Roy starts his backup goaltender and deprives me of a chance to trot out all of my best domestic violence puns. :scowl:
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Hmmm - then why was he still pulling the goalie with less than 30 seconds left? They were suddenly going to score 3 goals?

Yeah, what was I thinking - Roy was never one to care about his personal achievements or place in history...

I know, I know - he can't hear me.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Hmmm - then why was he still pulling the goalie with less than 30 seconds left? They were suddenly going to score 3 goals?

Yeah, what was I thinking - Roy was never one to care about his personal achievements or place in history...

I know, I know - he can't hear me.

S_C
:lol:

Fair enough. My comment was more in defense of the early goaltender pull manoeuver in general more than it was a claim that St. Patrick would never do something selfish...
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

Nice to see two effective lines create turmoil for the opposition. While the twins dominated on several shifts, The Avalanche were forced to put their defensive eggs in one basket creating opportunity for the Kesler line.

Zach Kassian played his way to the third line, so did David Booth.

I loved Roy's decisions to pull his goaltender with 5 minutes left. i pressure the Canucks into several mistakes. The major being arrogantly trying get Santorelli a hat trick. It kept the Kesler line on far too long and created several bad icings to stretch their lungs further.

Once Tortorella had called his time out, Roy had the upper hand to pull his goaltender early. Nothing wrong with showing no quit, make an opponent fighting for a playoff position work to the final whistle in the first of a back to back. Tortorella was trying to rest his top two lines and the fourth line was starting to get a regular shift in the third. Pulling Giggie ended that. A great decision that if could earn them something Monday that they didn't earn Sunday.

LOL at folks upset at Garrett's buterfly wings :lol:

That between the legs pass that Stanton made from behind his net was flat out dumb and he should consider himself fortunate it worked.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Roy, "Wait a minute, I'm 14th on the All-Time shutout list with 66, and frickin' Luongo has 64? I can't let him get this shutout - who cares about winning the game!"

S_C
I had fuck all to do with that. It was a mind trick. For the next time they meet or the playoffs. Roy knows all too well what a boost it is to dominate and shut out a team.

Kudos to the wife beater :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)