GDT: Dec 3: Canucks embarrass Preds - 5pm - SNet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT: Dec 3: Canucks embarrass Preds - 5pm - SNet

Post by rats19 »

dhabums wrote:
rats19 wrote:
Qliao wrote:Actually I come from the Canuck Central days before everything got shot down and had no idea if there was a way to transfer an old profile to this forum....been out of the mix for a couple of years Rats19, I think you weren't a mod back then.
Check your message's
Check your apostrophes.
No
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

mathonwy wrote:Kesler is a one man wrecking machine.

Is beast mode here to stay?
The only thing missing is his drives on the rush and his laser shot. Maybe teams aren't backing off like they used to. Still, he's playing stronger down low and getting some bounces for some greasy goals.

Santorelli is playing with a ton of confidence and it's nice to see him get rewarded with ice time. Booth actually didn't look too bad with the Twins. Showed some good puck protection but needs to get to better spaces in the offensive zone there. Still shooting, which is good to see.

Garrison is a one-trick pony on the PP, but it worked tonight. Would like to see him change it up once in a while to keep the PK honest but I guess he's been told to go with his strengths... ;)

Luongo may hear about his theatrics but I don't mind. IMHO goalies get a bit of a free pass for that stuff once in a while if it gives them more space and less Byfuglien-esque treatment later on. Hope he doesn't make too much of a habit about it though.

Take that win and go with the team feeling better than it did coming into the trip. :mrgreen:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hey, it worked. PVR'd the third and we won. Must less stressful watching when you know the out come :mrgreen:

My, in years past Luongo just didn't get those calls no matter how many times he was hit. It's like some goalies always get those calls and others not so much. Tonight he gets two of them! Maybe he had turned a page and will now be in that group that always gets those calls. I hope so. Nice to see for a change.

PP scores in 6 straight and an opportune one to boot. Made the game 3-1 so we didn't have a last minute choke job. Good things happen when you start to score on the PP. One PP goal a game givens us a chance of winning more than losing. PK perfect again.

Santorelli is playing great hockey. Looks like a combination of Burrows and Higgins out there. What a great pick up eh Dude? Richardson gets his 6th and is playing some great hockey too. What a great pick up eh Dude? Garrison with 2 points, nice to see him get on a role again eh Dude?

Booth looks faster and is gaining confidence. Still looks lost without the puck but was actually throwing some hits today. Let's hope he finds a way to consistently help the offence soon. Kassian was not even OK today. Both Weise and Sestito out played him by miles. He just wasn't finishing much of anything. An enigma for sure. Let's hope he is a Bert style late bloomer. The NYI gave up on Bert and we know the rest.

Hope the Edler injury isn't too serious. How can we trade him for Kane if he is hurt??

6 out of 8 points not too shabby in the least.
The only HW the Canucks need
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Dude's so lucky.. he gets the attention of ALL the ladies...

eh Dude?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

mathonwy wrote:Dude's so lucky.. he gets the attention of ALL the ladies...

eh Dude?
No kidding eh!

I just like having a little fun with him when we win. He will no doubt have plenty of opportunities to give it back in spades.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:Santorelli is playing great hockey. Looks like a combination of Burrows and Higgins out there. What a great pick up eh Dude? Richardson gets his 6th and is playing some great hockey too. What a great pick up eh Dude? Garrison with 2 points, nice to see him get on a role again eh Dude?
Gillis never does anything right.

Good road win. It wasn't a thing of beauty, but we outplayed the Preds and were full marks for the win.

The thing I like about Garrison is that he is all instinct on the PP. Sometimes Edler thinks too much and it's nice to see a guy who try's to blast the puck on net rather than make the perfect play.

Booth continues to look better out there. Getting pucks to the net is what he needs to do. Kassian continues to look not good. Sestito continues to fail at clearing the puck out of the D zone.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

dhabums wrote: Luongo totally embellished both plays and it worked. The first one shouldn't have even been a penalty.

If that's the case, then the Canucks (players and fans) have no right to bitch if and when the refs screw us in the playoffs.

Hopefully, Torts has a nice little one-on-one chat with Luongo and the team about this kind of crap.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Every single goalie embellishes. Period. But both times he was hit. The first, the player was shoved by our D man but made zero attempt to not hit Luongo. He in fact made sure he hit him as much as he could. On the second it was their player that hit Hamhuis and intentionally shoved him into Luongo.

Our forwards have been called numerous times for the same thing. It's all about intention and failing to avoid contact with the goalie. Yes, Luongo embellished. But the goalies must be protected. He was hit twice. Nashville players made a decision to get in his face, that was deliberate. The refs correctly realized that the game could get out of hand so they put a stop to it, twice in a row. Nashville got the message because there were no more runs at Luongo after that.

Both of those would have been called against us in the reverse, and have been numerous times. Craig Anderson was doing his best in the Ottawa game but didn't get the calls. Not even the one where his own player kneed him in the head :mrgreen: but he was pulled after that dead fish roll.

I was glad to see we got those calls. Luongo rarely gets those calls. I just hope he is on the right side of the fence now and begins to get every single one of them. Players for years have played in his face with great success and a lot of plays have gone uncalled. It would be nice to take that away from the opposition and the only effective way to do that is for penalties to be called AND our PP to work.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Brown Knight wrote:
dhabums wrote: Luongo totally embellished both plays and it worked. The first one shouldn't have even been a penalty.

If that's the case, then the Canucks (players and fans) have no right to bitch if and when the refs screw us in the playoffs.

Hopefully, Torts has a nice little one-on-one chat with Luongo and the team about this kind of crap.
Fuck that noise.....not that there was no embelishment, just that Luongo didn't embellish that any more than any other goaltender in the NHL does when a player sneezes on him.

It's hilarious really, a goalie can take a 90mph slap shot off the mask, and then scramble back into position to make the next save, but when he gets brushed by an elbow or him skating by him he goes down like he's shot. I'd almost that swear NHL goaltenders moonlight as MLS players. :roll:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:

Fuck that noise.....not that there was no embelishment, just that Luongo didn't embellish that any more than any other goaltender in the NHL does when a player sneezes on him.

It's hilarious really, a goalie can take a 90mph slap shot off the mask, and then scramble back into position to make the next save, but when he gets brushed by an elbow or him skating by him he goes down like he's shot. I'd almost that swear NHL goaltenders moonlight as MLS players. :roll:
I heard some former goalie comment that they tend to be focusing on the puck and are totally unprepared for getting hit, thus they tend to drop more easily than the skaters.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Per wrote: I heard some former goalie comment that they tend to be focusing on the puck and are totally unprepared for getting hit, thus they tend to drop more easily than the skaters.

I heard that also make their arms flail and then forces them to stay down longer looking hurt.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think there is probably some truth in what Per says. I also believe every goalie does embellish. Both conditions can co-exist. The point with Luongo is that he has spent years in this league rarely getting those calls. While a Canuck that may be partially based upon team reputation.

It was nice to see two consecutive calls go his way. It was clear Nashville at that point in the game made a decision to get in his face. On both instances neither player made any attempt to avoid contact. And no question if that was Sestito or Kassian or Burrows or......they would have been called, and have been. Hell we lost a goal because Dank almost interfered with a goalie :mrgreen: