Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Meds »

The Brown Knight wrote: Honestly, as silly as this may sound, I would actually reward David Booth with that spot tonight based on the way he's played the past few games.
One of the first things you've said that I absolutely agree with.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Mëds wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote: Honestly, as silly as this may sound, I would actually reward David Booth with that spot tonight based on the way he's played the past few games.
That's cool, but I just don't see your logic in thinking that the Jets would accept a bunch of scrubs for Evander Kane.

You have to give if you want to receive.

What you perceive as giving up too much, I perceive as reality.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Brown Knight wrote:
Mëds wrote:
That's cool, but I just don't see your logic in thinking that the Jets would accept a bunch of scrubs for Evander Kane.

You have to give if you want to receive.

What you perceive as giving up too much, I perceive as reality.
Ummm......when did I say they would accept a bunch of scrubs for Kane?

Any thoughts I've had regarding a trade for Evander Kane have always included Edler going to Winterpeg.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Sorry my bad,

For some reason, I had you mixed with some of the 'Urine Crew' that were suggesting that we'd be able to get Kane for Welsh, Weise, Booth, and other popcorn farts of that nature.

As far as moving Edler or one of our Top 4 goes, I respectfully disagree with that.

Without superstars on defense, having depth on defense is absolutely VITAL. Things look pretty rosy back there now, but it's because we haven't had any key injuries on D.

Based on what happened in 2011, we of all teams should know what an injury-ridden defense will do to a team. We ended up missing the post-season in 2007/2008 largely due to this reason as well. A large reason why Chicago owned us in our first few playoff series' against them in recent years, was also related to this (especially 09/10).

Moving a Top 4 defenseman for a Top 6 Forward (non franchise player) will do nothing for this team other than re-arranging our strengths (i.e. trading downgraded defense for upgraded offense). We will be different, but we won't be better.

The Dark Indian Rises
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

The Brown Knight wrote:
For some reason, I had you mixed with some of the 'Urine Crew'
I can't imagine why.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I’d go with Hansen with the Twins. Put the Amex line back together and Kassian draws back into the lineup.

Weise is quietly becoming an effective NHLer. While his ceiling last year was as a 12/13 forward, now it looks like he has legitimate third line potential.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Some interesting quotes from the coach in the Vancouver Sun regarding Alex Burrows... doesn't seem like Torts agrees with some posters views on #14:http://tinyurl.com/kld5pr5

“He's out for a while. It's been a tough year for him. He's a big part of … the soul of our team. He works hard. He's such a great teammate. Everybody likes to have him around. It hurts. It's a big blow to us, but we have to move by it and get ready to play our next game.”

“That's what he's about; that's what everybody loves about him,” Tortorella said of Burrows' toughness. “And he played good, too. Watching the tape, I could see he was moving his jaw around and you could tell it was bothering him. But he played and played really well. It doesn't surprise me. In the short time I've been with him, that's what he's about. That's what we'll miss a lot in the room — that type of guy. We'll need to find a way to get it done.”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

$lacker wrote:Some interesting quotes from the coach in the Vancouver Sun regarding Alex Burrows... doesn't seem like Torts agrees with some posters views on #14:http://tinyurl.com/kld5pr5

“He's out for a while. It's been a tough year for him. He's a big part of … the soul of our team. He works hard. He's such a great teammate. Everybody likes to have him around. It hurts. It's a big blow to us, but we have to move by it and get ready to play our next game.”

“That's what he's about; that's what everybody loves about him,” Tortorella said of Burrows' toughness. “And he played good, too. Watching the tape, I could see he was moving his jaw around and you could tell it was bothering him. But he played and played really well. It doesn't surprise me. In the short time I've been with him, that's what he's about. That's what we'll miss a lot in the room — that type of guy. We'll need to find a way to get it done.”
Has Blobby IPA's read this about the coach (Torts) who replaced the coach (AV) whom Blobby Stubbies couldn't stand cause he ruined Kassian and Ballards careers, about Torts views on Burr?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I don't think anybody disputes that Burrows is "a hard working guy" who "works hard" and is a "great teammate".

Tom Sestito's probably a great teammate. That doesn't mean he doesn't suck at hockey.

The bottom line is that Burrows has not looked like a $4.5M player at all this season. People have shat all over other $4M underachievers like Ballard, Booth and to a lesser extent Demitra, but for some reason Burrows gets a pass.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

herb wrote:I don't think anybody disputes that Burrows is "a hard working guy" who "works hard" and is a "great teammate".

Tom Sestito's probably a great teammate. That doesn't mean he doesn't suck at hockey.

The bottom line is that Burrows has not looked like a $4.5M player at all this season. People have shat all over other $4M underachievers like Ballard, Booth and to a lesser extent Demitra, but for some reason Burrows gets a pass.
Try looking at the big picture and what Burr means in that room. I can withstand a little struggling from Burrows. Guys like Ballard, Booth had/have not earned that to be given the kind of rope that Burrows is getting, not too mention that it amazes me to see the blindness at the tangibles Burrows brings to the table other than just bulging the twine. But carry on with your Burrows bed wetting you minions.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

herb wrote:I don't think anybody disputes that Burrows is "a hard working guy" who "works hard" and is a "great teammate".

The "for some reason" is his body of work as a Canuck. That should be ******* obvious.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Burrows is a huge part of this core..from me slack is given..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

rats19 wrote:Burrows is a huge part of this cote..from me slack is given..
Sure. I think most people recognize what Burrows has done for the team and how hard he works. It needs to be pointed out, however, that his lack of production offensively is costing us. That's not to say that he's useless or that he won't recover, but if this team is going to be successful he NEEDS to put up some points.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Yep.

I'd take 0 goal, $4.5m Alex Burrows over 0 goal $4.25m David Booth out on the ice ten times out of ten.

I'd take 0 goal, $4.5m Alex Burrows over 0 goal $4.25m David Booth in the room too (and in my heart Image).

But ultimately I don't want 0 goal $4.5m Alex Burrows - or 10 goal $4.5m Alex Burrows for that matter - on my team.

I don't think he was going to go on that way all season but neither was he 30 goal Alex Burrows and he might never be again, and it's a legitimate concern.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

FYI people,

When Burrows returned from his injury, the Canucks were 7th in the league on the PK.

When he returned, the Canucks killed 50/54 penalties.....with Burrows being an integral part of the PK.

The moral of the story is this: Yes, Burrows needs to pick it up big time offensively......BUT.....he brings so much more to the table than just offense.....and because of that, any comparison to Booth or Kassian is irresponsible and ridiculous.

And on a side note - Burrows isn't just "floating" out there on offense. He's getting legit scoring chances by working hard and getting into the correct positions. He was simply not finishing. Obviously, that needs to change.....but he was in the right track, and I think he was about to eventually break out.

The Dark Indian Rises