Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow »

To add a player like Kane we have to lose a lot of cap. If we can jettison Booth that is a great start but we need more than that.
The only HW the Canucks need
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Mëds wrote:How many of our top 4 defensemen have had a minor late game stroke that has cost us the game in recent history? I think we can part with one of them as we have 5.....Tanev is playing top 4 minutes, and doing a decent job of it.
Good point Mëds, but the Canucks have also been fairly lucky this year as far as limited injuries to the blue-line are concerned. From the playoffs in both 2009 and 2011, we of all teams should know how much injuries on defense can really destroy a team.

Defense is the one position where a team needs great depth and an insurance policy.

Tanev and Stanton have been great for us, but the last thing we want is to over-extend them into roles that they may not be suited for on a consistent basis. (i.e. the equivalent situation of Santorelli and Richardson up front).

Personally - I think there are other ways to make improvements to our Top 6 rather than giving up a Top 4 defenseman.

We have good strength and depth on defense. Why take away from it? If anything, why not add to it so that we have something that could be considered the best in the league? (or Top 3 in the league).

Food for thought.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Brown Knight wrote:
Mëds wrote:How many of our top 4 defensemen have had a minor late game stroke that has cost us the game in recent history? I think we can part with one of them as we have 5.....Tanev is playing top 4 minutes, and doing a decent job of it.
Good point Mëds, but the Canucks have also been fairly lucky this year as far as limited injuries to the blue-line are concerned. From the playoffs in both 2009 and 2011, we of all teams should know how much injuries on defense can really destroy a team.

We have good strength and depth on defense. Why take away from it? If anything, why not add to it so that we have something that could be considered the best in the league? (or Top 3 in the league).

Food for thought.
That's why I generally say that moving one of them should only happen in the event that one of our forwards can be moved to supplement the loss of Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, or Garrison.

I think Gillis has a better chance of finding a trading partner moving defense for offense and vice-versa, unless he's found someone who is just swapping same for same in hopes that a fresh start works for both parties. It's not rocket science, if a team needs offense they aren't going to part with a top six forward unless they are getting a top six in return, likewise for defense.

I definitely don't think we should deplete the team , and in a trade that gets a legitimate top six, we would need to move a guy like Booth out as the roster would start to really pile up with too many "top six" forwards. Again, why I have advocated moving both a forward (Booth in a package) for a defenseman, and one of our top 4 (Edler usually) for a top six forward.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

rats19 wrote:Prediction for the upcoming 4 game road trip.

Possible 8 points

Canucks will win 3 minimum possibly 4

Actually lose one in OT..so I predict 7 points.
One down...2.5 to go
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

All the Burr haters will be happy... Botchford just retweeted the following:
Rinty saying Burrows out with a broken jaw. Had surgery on it and is out indefinitely.
12:00am - 3 Dec 13

Big hit to our depth if true.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

$lacker wrote:All the Burr haters will be happy... Botchford just retweeted the following:
Rinty saying Burrows out with a broken jaw. Had surgery on it and is out indefinitely.

Damn, tuff break for Burr. Courtesy of Tanev? I thought the kid couldn't shoot. *LOL* I just hope Burr doesn't become Booth 2.0 (can't score anymore and injury plagued). Oh well, hopefully Kassassian will draw back into the lineup, time to give him Burr's spot with the Sedins for an extended stretch and see what he can do. Sink or swim baby! :lol:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
$lacker wrote:All the Burr haters will be happy... Botchford just retweeted the following:

Damn, tuff break for Burr. Courtesy of Tanev? I thought the kid couldn't shoot. *LOL* I just hope Burr doesn't become Booth 2.0 (can't score anymore and injury plagued). Oh well, hopefully Kassassian will draw back into the lineup, time to give him Burr's spot with the Sedins for an extended stretch and see what he can do. Sink or swim baby! :lol:
I wouldn't worry about Burrows becoming Booth 2.0 on the injury front. Booth's injuries have been from being hit. Bur's have been from being hit with the puck (blocked shot and "blocked" clearing attempt).
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

That must just be a kick to the pills for Burrows. No doubt he could smell the goal coming after the opportunities he's had lately. Maybe this injury will take a bit of the pressure off him now that he's been put on the shelf. Hopefully he can work on shooting drills and such before too long. Whatever it takes to get his confidence back up so he can get the monkey off his back when he hits the ice again.

It will be interesting to see who slots in with the Twins now. I wager we'll see Hansen at first, but wouldn't be surprised if we see Kes back in again. If we see Booth or Santorelli with the Twins, then we know Torts is getting desperate. Wonder if we'll see any roster moves next week once management has a better idea of how long Burrows will be on the shelf.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Shitty break for Burrows.

Can't say I'm thrilled with the idea of putting Kesler back with the Sedins. They didn't produce that much in the way of goals together anyway, and we need Kesler centering a line to give us three competent forward units. Hopefully Booth continues to improve and Kassian wakes up.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/12/3/report ... spitalized

Gino Odjick is going through some difficult times. Last week, he attended his father's funeral. This weekend, he was admitted to hospital for problems related to concussions he sustained during his hockey playing career.

Odjick was brought in a very agitated state to the psychiatric ward at the Pierre-Janet hospital Centre…

Odjick didn't seem in too bad a state when I went to see him at the hospital yesterday evening.

"I'm here for my concussions," he said.

"Since I retired in 2002, I've spent 32 months at the hospital."

It seems that Odjick is in denial about his problems, and gave the reporter false information that he'd been allowed to check out of the hospital, but Dr. Vincent Lacroix denied Odjick's claim
:shock:

:(
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I saw Odjick standing outside the Penthouse last summer. I think Gino struggles with a few things.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Burr - soup is good food

Gino - soup not good brains
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tough break for Burr and us. This may be the perfect chance to throw Kassian with the twins to see if that sparks him. He'll the way Weise has been playing maybe he should be given a shot. I mean he demolished the Danish league so you know it's in there :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Kassian should NOT play with the twins tonight. Period.

He needs to earn it with hard work.

Honestly, as silly as this may sound, I would actually reward David Booth with that spot tonight based on the way he's played the past few games.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Weiss got a post PK shift with the twins the other day. So noticeable everyone remembered. I suspect Kesler is back on their wing though I'd prefer Hansen.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.